Thread: Crested Gecko Cars Help!

Thanks

Default Crested Gecko Cars Help!

Hello, I am new to this forum and I am new to reptile keeping as well. I have kept pets before (currently have a small but energetic 12 year old dachshund) but never a reptile. As a birthday gift for myself, I bought a juvenile Harlequin Crested Gecko. I got it last Friday the 12th and I currently keep it in a small critter Keeper because I read that if you put them in too big of an enclosure that they might not be able to find their food. So I keep it in there with fake leaves and paper towel substrate. I mist lightly in the morning and heavily at night. I have two small paper dishes out. One with the Pangea CGD diet with insects and one with water. I was worried at first after not noticing any poop or having a scale about it not eating. However, I read that itís normal for juveniles or new reptiles not to eat for quite a while when being in a new home. But yesterday I got a scale and it weighed 3.2 grams (last time it was weighed was on June 25th and it weighed 3.1 grams) and by complete chance I actually witnessed it poop! So I guess it is eating? Iím trying to keep it on a 7 day feeding schedule but on the third day I ended up feeding it when I wasnít suppose to but iím assuming I could just remove the food for the fourth day or should I have food continuously available? Also yesterday I misted a little bit before the nightly misting because the humidity went down to 50%. Was that okay for me to do? Sorry I just really need to know if what iím doing so far is alright? I have OCD and it prevents me from functioning properly if I am unsure about things like this. Also I have another question: would it be alright to move it into the Exo Terra 12x12x18 terrarium? Iím going to be leaving for four days (the 18th to the 21st) and I have no one available to come by and mist its temporary enclosure so would it be alright to just go ahead and move it into what would be its permanent enclosure with a Exo Terra Monsoon Solo automatic misting system and when I get back move it back? Or just have it prematurely reside there? And should I just leave out multiple dishes in it with the prepared Crested Gecko diet if I do it put it in the bigger enclosure? Sorry this is a really long post but iím just really worried.

Thanks

A strict feeding schedule with these guys really isnt needed, which is one of the great things about them. They can go a few days without being fed so if you skip a day, they will be ok. Like I normally feed sunday, tuesday, thursday, but sometimes I will do monday, wednesday, saturday. It just depends on if I have something scheduled that day. Like when I vend shows I have to make sure I feed sunday/tuesday/thursday, but any other time I can switch it up to monday/wednesday/saturday. I leave the dishes in there until the next time I feed as some geckos prefer slightly aged food, while others like it fresh.

It is fine for your humidity to drop, you actually want it to drop down to around 50%. A constant high humidity can grow a lot of mold and bacteria, which can lead to a bacterial infection on the skin. So it is healthy and normal to allow the humidity to dip around 50%.

At its side I wouldn't put it in that size enclosure. Normally I recommend a gecko to be around 8-10g before moving into something that size. You would be better off placing the critter keeper inside of that enclosure, rather than causing it stress of moving into a new enclosure, taking time to settle in, then move it back out into an appropriate sized enclosure. Is it possible to take your pet on the trip with you? I have done this several times with these guys who required medical attention so they went on vacation with me.
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sublime Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Wenzel (07-16-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sublime Reptiles View Post
    A strict feeding schedule with these guys really isnt needed, which is one of the great things about them. They can go a few days without being fed so if you skip a day, they will be ok. Like I normally feed sunday, tuesday, thursday, but sometimes I will do monday, wednesday, saturday. It just depends on if I have something scheduled that day. Like when I vend shows I have to make sure I feed sunday/tuesday/thursday, but any other time I can switch it up to monday/wednesday/saturday. I leave the dishes in there until the next time I feed as some geckos prefer slightly aged food, while others like it fresh.

It is fine for your humidity to drop, you actually want it to drop down to around 50%. A constant high humidity can grow a lot of mold and bacteria, which can lead to a bacterial infection on the skin. So it is healthy and normal to allow the humidity to dip around 50%.

At its side I wouldn't put it in that size enclosure. Normally I recommend a gecko to be around 8-10g before moving into something that size. You would be better off placing the critter keeper inside of that enclosure, rather than causing it stress of moving into a new enclosure, taking time to settle in, then move it back out into an appropriate sized enclosure. Is it possible to take your pet on the trip with you? I have done this several times with these guys who required medical attention so they went on vacation with me.
    I wish I could but Iím flying and Iím fairly certain you canít bring reptiles on to planes. Thank you for your advice though iím just really afraid that if I screw one thing up that iíll hurt the little dude and I definitely donít want that.

Thanks

I actually figured out a way to keep my geckoís humidity up. I cut a small hole through one of the ventilation sides of the top cover so I can fit the tip of the Monsoon Solo nozzle. So now I donít have to worry about it. Thank you again for the advice!
    Last edited by Wenzel; 07-17-2019 at 09:45 PM.