Thread: Hello, I am new here and have a few questions about my little one!

Thanks

Default Hello, I am new here and have a few questions about my little one!

Hello everyone! I am new here, so it is nice to meet everyone!And thanks in advance to anyone who can give me some advice!

So, my crested gecko (Named Raven) is 6 months old. I got it in march. It has been in a plastic tub since then, and I plan to upgrade, a few months down the road, when it gets a bit bigger. This is where one of my questions lies. Approx. at what rate should my crested be growing. Since getting it, according to my scale, it has only grown 1 gram.

I feed it Pangea complete diet, with insects, and as I have seen in my research, it is difficult to tell if they are eating. I do see poop and pee on occasion. I am just so new to this species of reptile, that I do not know how to tell if my crested is growing in size appropriately and eating well. Other than that, it seems quite healthy. I spray the enclosure 1-2 times a day and keep the temperatures around 70-75 degrees.

On top of this, I have another thing I am curious about. for about a three week period, I was giving my gecko crickets, feeding with tweezers, as it would not go after them. It would only take 1 at a time, so I fed one per week. All of a sudden, it stopped eating crickets at all, and I don't know why. It does not want anything to do with them. I tried different sizes, dusting a few and putting in a separate container with the gecko, and leaving one in the enclosure for a bit, while monitoring. No luck! Any opinions??

Thanks guys.
    Name:  CG 2.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  26.3 KBName:  CG 1.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  21.3 KBName:  Crested Gecko enclosure.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  51.2 KB
    - Victor
    Last edited by raventhegecko_2019; 07-22-2019 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Adding pictures

Thanks

Nobody has any advice for me? lol I would love some advice on my issue from all of you experts! Much appreciated!

Thanks

Your enclosure looks too large for your gecko. Being in closer proximity to its food, by using a smaller tub, would be better. If you are going to keep it in that tub, consider adding a secondary food site within the enclosure. Forget the tweezer feeding and let a couple crickets loose. You want your gecko to respond to the natural movements of the prey item. Just pull the Pangea diet for a couple of days before doing a live feed and see how that goes.

Thanks

Sorry I didnt see this! I am with Tom, your enclosure is rather large, generally for an animal that size I still have them in a 6qt container. My general rule for upgrading is a 6qt container until 8g, then a 16qt container until around 20g, from there they go into 28qt for until around 40g, then I upgrade to their final enclosure.

And I agree stop tong feeding, just let them run loose in the tub. Sometimes they go off feeding on crickets, but just keep trying. You can also try dubia roaches
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I got this enclosure from the breeder that I got it from. It seems to eat, but not a lot. I do see poop from time to time. Also, you say I should take the food out for a few days before trying to feed the crickets? And I should let the crickets loose in the enclosure or in a separate, smaller container?

Thanks

As I mentioned to Tom, I got this enclosure from the breeder who sold me the gecko. They told me my gecko could be i this enclosure until 1 years old. I might try some other insects at some point. I tried letting the crickets loose in a separate container once and the gecko still had no interest. Maybe it is just not hungry? Should I put an extra food dish in the enclosure maybe? And one last question, If there are enclosures that are too big for these guys, then how do they find food in the wild?

Thanks

An extra food dish is a good idea.
    The survival rate, in the wild, is very likely much lower than in captivity. Range in the wild also equates to more feeding opportunities as it should within enclosures of different sizes... hence adding more feed stations.