Thread: Rectal Prolapse

Thanks

Default Rectal Prolapse

Hi there, I am a brand new created gecko owner. My cousin gave me 2 of them, one male and one female, about 4 months ago. They are kept on separate terrariums since Iím not really interested in breeding. On Monday, July 1st, we noticed that our male gecko, Thrash, had prolapsed. We werenít sure if it was his hemipene or something else, so I kept him moist and took him to the vet. It turned out to be his rectum and we had surgery that day. Heís been eating a little and drinking normally, but still hasnít pooped. Iím really starting to worry. He had a follow up yesterday and the vet said we basically have to wait and see. He has another follow up on Monday to have his sutures removed. My question is for anyone who has had a geck with a prolapsed rectum. How long did it take for them to start pooping normally again?

I also should mention that I believe he has MBD and was born with it. He is around 2 years old and we were feeding only dusted crickets bc that was the diet my cousin had them on. I have since done more research and purchased the proper diet. Name:  15BC2410-74B3-40C3-98A0-0B82CCD007E3.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  17.7 KBName:  47FEA27B-3591-495F-BEB0-8D9FAEE9913F.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  12.7 KBName:  76D82132-A597-4EF9-B026-2BC8310ED391.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  14.4 KB

Thanks

The kinked tail will probably never go away, but shouldn't get any worse now that you have him on a good diet. Are you using a UVB light?

I'm sorry I can't answer on the poop question as I've never had one with a prolapsed rectum, but please keep us posted on how he is doing. If your vet was knowledgeable about doing the surgery, hopefully he is right about the "wait and see."
    Eileen
    TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hidey (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon gecko), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Western Bearded Anole), 3.1.0
    Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) George P-Dog (lab/Great Pyr) 1.2.0, Ringer (barn cat) 1.0.0

Thanks

Sometimes stress can cause them not to defecate even though they have been eating, so I am not too terribly surprised he hasn't pooped yet. One thing you can try doing is placing him in a deli container (with holes) and mist him. Don't overly saturate him or the paper towel, doing so could result in a bacterial infection. But this often stimulates them to poop. Leave him in there for about 5 minutes, if he doesnt poop then remove him. Beyond that it is just a waiting game. If he doesnt poop by the time the sutures, have the vet feel around his belly to see if it feels hard at all, he may be blocked.
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

No I donít use the uvb light, Iíve read that it can mess them up somehow (I canít remember at the moment). Thrash has had 2 follow ups since last Monday and seems to be doing well. I bought him proper food and heís eating great. At the visit on Monday the doctor said that the rectum is open, he just hasnít pooped yet. Heís active and seems to be doing well 1.5 weeks after surgery. Thank you for the advice!

Thanks

Itís been 1.5 weeks since surgery and still no poop, but the vet did probe him on Monday and says his rectum is open and didnít seem too concerned. His tummy is soft and he is eating and drinking well, along with being his normal active self. He goes for his 3rd follow up on Monday and should have his sutures removed then. Thanks for your advice!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to hmasley For This Useful Post:

TAD (07-12-2019)

Thanks

update?
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

Heís doing great!! It took him about 3 weeks to finally poop, but he did and heís all healed up from surgery, as well.