Thread: Leopard Gecko Stopped Eating

Thanks

Default Leopard Gecko Stopped Eating

Good Morning

I bought my son a gecko back in February. He was eating well up until about a week ago.

Last week for the first time he allowed my son to take him out of the tank. My son held him for about 3-5 min then put him back. Every since then Shay hasn't eaten. We offered it crickets, meal worms, and super worms and he refuses to eat.

He's focus seems to be how to escape from the tank. he's constantly trying to climb the walls. One day while the lid was off the cage he attempted to jump. I don't know what is going on with him. I moved the cricket cage thinking that was driving him crazy. I covered 3 sides of the tank.

This weekend I'm going to buy him a bigger tank. He's in a 10 gallon right now. He moves around a lot in the tank so he's active. I checked this morning and he did poop. I still offer him food everyday but nothing.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Thanks

So basically your gecko knows there is more then just the tank and wants to get out, I have had this issues it lasted for a few months then it slowly died down. When they get to adult stages they get more calm I assume the Gecko you have is a juvenile and that's normal some people have this issue some people don't. You should also make sure the the environment you have your gecko in (The tank and what ever is in it) fits the needs for a Leo. When it comes to food keep trying to feed him as you normal would until you see him start eating again. Its also good you have seen poop when Leos get older they don't need to eat as much as they are when they are baby's. Leos hit adult hood a year in age.

Feed baby Leo's everyday
    Juveniles every other day
    Adults every three days

Thanks

Thank you for your responds.
    I'm watching his tail closely and it's getting skinnier.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks

Your animal is stressed, climbing at the glass is not an indication of it necessarily wanting to explore more. In these instances it is best to block off the view from the sides because the animal is stressed over being able to see out. In all honesty a 10 gallon is a fine size for an adult leopard gecko, however I do prefer a 15 gallon long myself. But whatever youre housing it in, block off the sides of the tank with paper towels to reduce the stress.

Has your animal ate yet? From the pic it isnt terribly thin however if it is consistently loosing weight there are a few things I would check into. Whats your temps? Are you reading that with a temp gun? Are you using an under tank heater? When it does defecate, do they look well formed or rather runny? Are they rather stinky?
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

I bought a 20 gallon tank yesterday. Today I'm planning on setting it up.

This week makes a month and Shay still haven't ate. I don't have a temp gun. Since you mentioned it I'm going to borrow one from my coworker. I have a under the tank heating pad. It was defecating but now it's not. I did catch Shay eating from the calcium bowl and drinking water.

Thanks

Leopards can go a long time without eating, but if you have the chance buy a digital gram scale or a food scale, it doesnt need to go out to the hundredth or thousandths place, just whole grams will work so you can better monitor his weight. You can find them fairly cheap, amazon, Walmart, smoke shops will all have them, you can usually find them starting around $7-10.

What kind of prey items have you offered?
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

I've offer him crickets, meal worms, and super worms.

Thanks

You may want to consider getting a fecal done if he continues on this trend though
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI