Thread: Surprise eggs

Thanks

Default Surprise eggs

Well this is a bit of a surprise, oreo gained grams rather eagerly and to utter surprise today when I went in to change food and find a pair of dented eggs under her. A bit dyhrated but two bigs cheerios in middle of them. I guess when I bought her from the breeder she retained sperm from her last breeding season. I asked breeder if they remembered which pairing it was but cannot remember so we have a pair of kindersurprises basically Haha so when they hatch I will definitely post some photos.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leo and shiro For This Useful Post:

Hannibal (06-21-2019),TAD (03-15-2019)

Thanks

how many eggs should i expect to come from this ?? because i honestly was not going to have hatchlings this year but haha i guess that went else where this time.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Thanks

Possibility of 2 eggs every few weeks until she's done.

Aliza

Thanks

I get 2 eggs a month with mine. Iím not sure how long they hold sperm though?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

i know the 2 eggs i just wanted to rough guess on how many bins i need to make i guess its just waiting game haha.

Thanks

first pair hatched on may 31 a bit early, i was gone for the weekend and left their care to my sibling when i came home they were kind of deflated and major soft before i knew it they pipped and hatched but feisty little things already chirping at me when i change food or go near them.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Leo and shiro For This Useful Post:

Hannibal (06-21-2019)

Thanks

So cute! Congratulations on becoming a gecko mother again! Haha. Have you got any more eggs off her yet?
    Iíd love to know how long a female can hold sperm as a few months ago I changed which Male was with my female. Iíve had 5 babies so far all of which are Kanekiís, I know this because of the colouring and markings. I have 4 eggs now waiting to hatch and sheís got more so hoping these will all be Haiseís babies now! Itís a waiting game to see haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Right now I have 6 eggs from her, one egg is looking pretty suspiciously large with double black spots forming after seeing two cheerios inside of it.
    I'll be doing update photos of these guys soon since they were not as even temptered as my previous batches that didnt run or try to bite me as often.
    I believe it's up to half a year of retaining? I'm not to sure as I only need last year and suddenly got eggs from a unknown male and oreo. From looks of it with each egg fertile I may end up with 10 hatchlings again this summer.
    I do have a possible breeding project for her at a later date take a year or two after she is done with these eggs.

Thanks

This species tends to lay from March to September-November, but generally they stop in October. I find retained sperm egg laying females don't tend to lay as many clutches as a bred that season female, however they still can lay a good amount of clutches. So take into consideration and prep for the possibility of 6 more sets of eggs out of her. I had a female who was paired in 2017, and she laid I think 6 fertile eggs, however she is older and her productivity is starting to go down.

Depending on her weight and how she fairs in the fall, she may or may not need a season off. Some females bounce back quickly after the season, some require a little bit more time. What I do is monitor their weight pre-season, so when the season is over I know what their pre egg weight is. If a month or two after her last clutch she isnt back to her pre breeding weight, she might fair better having the following season off. If she is her pre breeding weight by then, she will fair well at breeding the next season. But after 3 seasons I give them a season off regardless. But in general I tend to breed females for 2 seasons then give them a season off so I can cycle different breeding females into the projects.
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

Thats the thing,I have no idea what her pre egg weight is because i got her not even 2 weeks before she laid the first two eggs. That the one year gives me time to get her up more weight and better handling as she is rather jumpy that and allow me to tend to other things before having more hatchlings and getting bins premade. But noticing again seems like she has yet another egg with a divided cheerio.
    I don't know how old she is either my fault for not asking.