Thread: Gravid Mourning Gecko help

Thanks

Default Gravid Mourning Gecko help

I've got 4 mourning geckos in an exoterra viv [18x24"] and they have plenty of places to hide, calcium bowl is supplied, and they get pinhead crickets about once a week or so and the rest of the time they eat pangea CGD with insects [supplied fresh every other night]
    Temps are regular room temperature [73-75f] with a small hot spot of around 82-83F Humidity is kept around 50-60%, I mist in the morning and right before lights out. They have all been active and growing rapidly. There are some live plants in the enclosure but they aren't quite big enough for the geckos to use as shelter yet, so I've put in some fake plants for them to hide in.

Three are currently gravid, all holding 2 eggs each.None have laid their eggs yet and I've added a few more pieces of things to hide/lay their eggs in/around.
    I have one who has two big eggs, but she's been having trouble laying. I've caught her this morning lying on her side and I thought she was dead so I lightly poked her and she scuttled off. I've been keeping a close eye and she keeps laying on her side and it's worrying me. I'm not really sure what to do at this point so any advice would be nice.
    Should I just continue to watch from a distance so I don't stress them out? I'm just a little worried that the others aren't gonna lay their eggs too for whatever reason and I really love these guys. :c
    Mum to .... [counts on fingers] .... a lot
    6 Ball Pythons, 2 Red Tail Boas, 7 Tarantulas, 1 eternal leopard gecko, 4 Corn Snakes, 1 Honduran Milk Snake, 1 Crested Gecko, 3 Mourning Geckos [lesbian gecko army], 1 blue tongue skink, 1 sand boa, and a whole bunch of dead things in jars.
    Want to see my work? Visit TriggeredNecromancer@tumblr. Want someone preserved? Email me!

Thanks

If you can catch her I'd really recommend taking her to the vet.

Aliza

Thanks

Unfortunately, catching her is fairly hard because the moment I touch her she scuttles away to the back of the cage and I risk letting the others loose trying to catch her.
    Is there anything a vet could really do in her situation? She's smaller than my finger. I feel like the stress of being caught, driven across town, and having a vet handle her would be enough to kill her.

Is there anything more I can do to keep egg binding from happening to my other females? Two others are gravid, but I haven't seen them lay any eggs yet. I'm just afraid they are going to hold their eggs as well and I'll lose them all :c
    6 Ball Pythons, 2 Red Tail Boas, 7 Tarantulas, 1 eternal leopard gecko, 4 Corn Snakes, 1 Honduran Milk Snake, 1 Crested Gecko, 3 Mourning Geckos [lesbian gecko army], 1 blue tongue skink, 1 sand boa, and a whole bunch of dead things in jars.
    Want to see my work? Visit TriggeredNecromancer@tumblr. Want someone preserved? Email me!

Thanks

I've bred a lot of geckos and in 13 years had an egg binding issue only once. You're right about her small size. I don't think there's much to do but hope for the best and see how she does. Try not to worry about the others; there's no reason to think that they're all going to be egg bound because it's relatively rare.

Aliza

Thanks

I really hope the others do okay. After losing three geckos two years ago, I was just heartbroken. But these little guys are just SO PRECIOUS and I love listening to them chirp, watching them move about, and especially love watching them hunt tiny crickets.

She died unfortunately, only about an hour after my initial post. I ended up doing my own little necropsy to see why and I think it was that the eggs were just too big. There was almost no food in her stomach and one egg was up in her body that it was pushing against her lung so I think that was the issue. She just got exhausted and wasn't able to breathe easily.
    Here's a photo of how big the eggs were in her. I tried carefully extracting them to see if I could save them somehow but they just ended up shriveling up.
    Name:  IMG_5502.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  87.9 KB

Thanks

Sorry for your loss. Poor girl.
    3.3.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)