Thread: UVB question

Thanks

Question UVB question

So, winter is finished and temperatures where I live are rising. I'm lucky enough to live in a temperate weather so, this weekend I monitored the temps on an empty screen enclosure in my backyard and it ranged from low 20's to high 20's (celsius) throughout the day. Seems great for my cresties!
    I though of keeping them outside during the day and bring them inside at dusk (they are small and living on screen enclosures). I', talking about a small backyard between 3 or 4 buildings without predators or any risk to them whatsoever. Apart from saving in electricity (my house is actually colder, in the low 20's all day) the real advantage would be, imo, they would have access to natural UVB. Or would they?
    Is there any significant amount of UVB in a place in the shadow of a building in the city? Specially since the UVB would also have to go through the screen mesh. Does UVB bounce and reflect in these structures? Do the geckos have any benefits in being outside UVB/health wise?

Thank you.

Thanks

I would recommend against leaving your geckos outside for extended periods because the different noises, smells, the wind, etc. will all contribute to stress and disturbed sleep for them. If you have a gecko that is often awake during the day, it's probably fine to take that one outside, but let the other ones sleep when they are tired.
    3.3.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Treebiscuit View Post
    I would recommend against leaving your geckos outside for extended periods because the different noises, smells, the wind, etc. will all contribute to stress and disturbed sleep for them. If you have a gecko that is often awake during the day, it's probably fine to take that one outside, but let the other ones sleep when they are tired.
    It's a rather quiet zone. Far from the noise of traffic or other city noises. Apart from wind (which is almost non existent because the backyard is protected by buildings) it's as quiet as inside the house. If they wouldn't be able to sleep there, I doubt they would be able to sleep in the wild or inside my house.

Thanks

Cresties in my opinion don't need UVB because they usually hide from the light during the day there for not utilizing the rays of the sun. You also have to be careful with screen tanks and the humidity especially if you want to leave them out side. That's at least what I see from my cresties they usually burrow when they are Young under the substrate and spagmoss or under plant leaves. Older ones they would go in cork tubes and under big plant leaves. Now if you had an animal like a Day gecko where it is out during the day and usually exposed to UVB then it would be great for them to have natural sun light and heat but you would always want a place in the enclosure for them to hide and cool down.

Long story short in my opinion reptiles that don't usually expose them self to the sun light in the wild don't really need UVB (Cresties would be one of them).

Thanks

Thanks for the input.
    It’s just that so many owners swear that their geckos improve their appetites, become more active, grow faster, even the colors become more vibrant when exposed to UVB (even when hiding) that I thought it might be worth a try. Apparently not so, back indoors. ��