Thread: Floppy tail syndrome, should i drop the tail?

Thanks

Post Floppy tail syndrome, should i drop the tail?

My crested gecko appears to have the beginning of FTS, I don't think this is combined with MBD since he seems fine everywhere else and gets a lot of calcium. Its manifesting right now as him carrying his tail to one side, this began after he he matured. Would it be safe if i kept his tail and redid his enclosure to be more horizontal or is it not worth the risk and should i make him drop the tail?

Thanks

I'd leave the tail alone unless it looks like it's getting infected, is swollen, discolored, etc. He may lose it on his own, but I'd try adjusting the enclosure. Can you send a photo of it with him at rest? They like heights, so going horizontal may not be the answer, but maybe the decor could be changed around?
    Eileen
    TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hidey (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon gecko), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Western Bearded Anole), 3.1.0
    Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) George P-Dog (lab/Great Pyr) 1.2.0, Ringer (barn cat) 1.0.0

Thanks

FTS normally does not effect the gecko in such a way that it will cause any sort of medical reasoning to remove it. It is an environmentally induced physical deformity due to the animal sleeping upside down. Although once the animal has it there is no fixing it, one way to help keep it from getting worse is to rearrange the enclosure, add in more hiding areas like cork bark/rounds, elevated sleeping areas, ect. So try switching some things up to try and get him sleeping horizontal
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI