Thread: How to breed patternless/bicolor reds/oranges?

Thanks

Question How to breed patternless/bicolor reds/oranges?

Hi all! Iíve been a longtime lurker of the forum and owner of cresties for a few years now. Iím interested in dipping my toe into breeding. Im aware it is a huge time, space, and financial commitment, as well as taxing physically for the females and Iím ready for it!

Iíd like to get offspring that are bicolor or patternless reds/tangerines. Iíve read cresties are polygenic/polymorphic which basically means itís a bit of a crapshoot . Can I start from scratch or should I buy reds from a long breeding line of reds? I recently picked up a cream/yellow brindle female (proven breeder) and a rusty/brick red patternless/bicolor male. The breeder said the female has produced reds when paired with a harley. Sheís currently slightly underweight (33g frog butt) so Iím trying to fatten her up slowly and get some good calcium sacs before we proceed.

The male also needs to gain weight. He looks young (25g) but is 1.5yrs old! He was only fed Repashy (no bugs), so Iím slowly transitioning him to PFMC and some crickets. Heís only eaten crickets once since Iíve had him; heís refused the other times. Heís got some great blushing, but heís a muddy red. Fired up, his dorsal is dark brownish red, laterals are a brick red. Fired down, heís an olive/buckskin with hints of red coming through.

Would this pairing produce some patternless/bicolor reds/tangerines? I know purchasing red parents from a long line of reds would be the best bet, but I thought itíd be fun to try this out. Iíd love to get a bright fire engine patternless or bicolor neon red (or neon tangerine). Iíve seen some awesome bicolor day glow tangerines and am hoping this pairing produces the same. Would love to hear your thoughts.

Hereís the female:
    Name:  626BDDF4-F7AC-4402-A40C-A4CD03F4B4B9.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  15.8 KBName:  3DAA53AD-745B-4BAA-BF6C-86F0FC7F19B2.jpg
Size:  9.2 KB

The male:
    Name:  5965BA80-6D2D-4045-8260-57031ABCE58F.jpg
Size:  14.1 KBName:  8BD72754-0D27-42BE-AD3E-5566599FE5FB.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  8.3 KBName:  1C336612-B7DF-4386-A795-3472F9550BD3.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  13.6 KB

Thanks

Without knowing the lineage in the animals, there is no real answer on what you would get. Likely a mixture of things. If you’re goal is patternless animals I would recommend either breeding two patternless reds, or breed two red pins together. Although in my experience you will still get a lot of pins, I still got a good number of phantom pins (patternless pins). But if you’re goal is patternless, easiest way to start is by finding animals where patternless runs in the lines.
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI