Thread: Making A Crestie Background w/ Water Feature

Thanks

Question Making A Crestie Background w/ Water Feature

Hi! I am planning on making a carved rock style background for my crestie vivarium. It is going to have a feeding ledge built in, small drained planters for air plants, and a small "river" water feature. I am planning to make it using foam board and spray foam, and it will be attached to the tank using neodymium magnets so that I can remove it when needed. I have a few questions but when I have searched for answers I just got confused since everyone seems to have their own method. So I am asking my questions here:

1) What type of spray foam should I use? Should I use the regular kind or the pond and stone version?

2) Would acrylic paint be safe to use on the foam to give it a more realistic look?

3) What sealant should I use? I need it to be waterproof since I mist daily and I will have a water feature. I am willing to use silicone to seal the water feature but I don't want to use it on the entire background.

I would prefer it if I could find everything I need at Ace Hardware since I work there and get a discount, but I am willing to shop around too. Thanks in advance!
    Scale Tales

0.1.0 Correlophus ciliatus
    1.0.0 Colisa lalia
    1.1.0 Cambarellus patzcuarensis 'orange'

Thanks

1. the pond and stone version is black which is nice, but you can use the regular gaps and cracks. Red can yellow top.
    2. I am not positive on this one, but I have used acrylic paint. I'm an artist (in my spare time) and once acrylic is dry, it is just like plastic.
    3. GE 100% silicone I or II. I like the brown.

Good luck, and you should post your progress!

Edit:
    btw, some people say you should only use GE I silicone. I referenced this post by Josh's Frogs:
    https://joshsfrogs.zendesk.com/hc/en...am-Background-
    Last edited by balerion; 01-28-2019 at 12:27 PM.