Thread: I need help with lighting and heat!

Thanks

Default I need help with lighting and heat!

I have an adult male crestie in a 20 gallon long tank. My room is cold all year round, so I'm looking for the best possible way to heat my tank during the day. I also don't get much natural sunlight (I live in a basement) so I also need a light for my gecko during the day. I currently have the zoo med daylight blue reptile bulb that's 40 watts, above my tank. A person at my nearest reptile store recommended it but I know I should do my own research. It says it gives heat, daylight and UVA. Am I missing something? my tank temp reads between 60-70 degrees but I'm still concerned it's too cold, I don't know how accurate my thermometer is. The humidity is always between 70-80, I mist the tank twice a day. Is that okay? The article says it needs to be 100 at night? Another question I have is what light I can use during the night that won't interfere with my geckos night cycle, I don't want to disturb him but I'd much rather have some sort of light then sleep in pitch black. Sorry this is long, I just want whats best for my gecko.

Thanks

Not sure about a night light, I don't use one personally. As for lights that give off heat, the Jungle Dawn LED bulbs I use in my vivarium give off plenty of heat combined with the exo terra compact fluorescent hood I use. I had to modify it with a 120mm PC case fan to try and actively vent heat away from the enclosure (I live where it's hot all the time). I have little doubt that you could either add some mylar or even a fan to blow hot air into your enclosure with the same fixture and raise your temps.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Entomologist210 For This Useful Post:

brisgecko (09-16-2018)

Thanks

thanks for the help

Thanks

You can use an LED for light and a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) for heat. Use the blue light for night-time viewing (NOT RED, they can see red and that would mess up their day/night cycle), or just keep a dim nightlight on somewhere in the room, under a table or around the corner, which provides a little bit of light but is not pitch black. 80% humidity is fine, but there should be a drying-off period to 50-60% during the day. Maybe only mist at night and see how it goes.
    Eileen
    TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hidey (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon gecko), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Western Bearded Anole), 3.1.0
    Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) George P-Dog (lab/Great Pyr) 1.2.0, Ringer (barn cat) 1.0.0

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TAD For This Useful Post:

brisgecko (09-16-2018)

Thanks

thank you so much! that was very helpful. the led and ceramic heat emitter are 2 separate things that hang over the enclosure? what do u think about using a heat mat?

Thanks

The heat mats IMO do not help much. Due to the frigid temps in the Midwest right now I am using a 40 watt Ceramic heat emitter. Genally use a 25 watt. My gecko is in a finished basement which is lower temp than main floor so in Winter I absoutely need a heat source. Basement is around 66 degrees and my Geckos tank with the 40 watt CHE is 72 degrees.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to zenwen For This Useful Post:

brisgecko (05-25-2019)