Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fungus + Humidity Problems in Bioactive Vivarium

Thanks

Do springtail populations ever get out of hand? I am going to be starting my first viv soon. Like this week. I will also have some isopods.
    Eileen
    TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hidey (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon gecko), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Western Bearded Anole), 3.1.0
    Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) George P-Dog (lab/Great Pyr) 1.2.0, Ringer (barn cat) 1.0.0

Thanks

I know that springtails/isopods need a humid environment to breathe, though I am unsure if that means it's okay to let the soil dry out as long as the humidity gauge reads high enough, or if the invertebrates need the soil to remain moist in addition.

Thanks

The viv is misted daily, so the soil is staying moist. It's been about a week now, and my plants are thriving, but I haven't seen hardly any of the springtails and isopods I put in there. I'm assuming all is well, but I may add another small supply, just to be on the safe side.
    Eileen
    TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hidey (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon gecko), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Western Bearded Anole), 3.1.0
    Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) George P-Dog (lab/Great Pyr) 1.2.0, Ringer (barn cat) 1.0.0

Thanks

Have you looked in your tank at night? Isopods are most active at night.

Also, if you water the plants, isopods will flee the area that's too wet for them.
    3.3.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Treebiscuit For This Useful Post:

TAD (07-03-2019)

Thanks

Just checked now (10pm), only saw one springtail, no ispods. I don't water heavily, just mist twice a day, a little heavier at night, but still not drenching, by any means. I used BioBedding from Josh's Frogs, with hydroballs and mesh under it, and put in a couple of CUC tabs to help jump-start things. There is some fungus growing in amongst the leaf litter and plants; not worried about that, but just thought it odd that I haven't seen but a very few of the clean-up crew. (Not sure why my pictures all seem to come through sideways. Grrr...)

Name:  19_06-22TBD-Bioactive2.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  93.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Eileen

Thanks

I didn't have any problems with mold until my large bromeliad died

Thanks

Two weeks in, many more springtails are active in the leaf litter, and I added more dwarf isopods. So far, things seem to be going well!

I have 4 small sansevaeria (may transplant two of them as they get bigger), one large birds-nest sansevaeria, and one dwarf ivy. All seem to be doing well, although I have always had a brown thumb, and managed to kill every plant I've ever had. So this surprises me, lol. Best way to root ivy? Do I just snip it off and put in water to start another plant?
    Eileen