Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My crestie keeps escaping his tank- please help?!

Thanks

My mom has an extreme phobia of snakes and anything that remotely looks like them so unfortunately she isnít much help when weíre trying to catch my little escape artist, haha.

To answer your questions- I had only handled him once before his multiple escape attempts since I only got him a few weeks ago and it was my first try. After that I let him lick food off my hand once but he didnít actually crawl onto my palm. Since then I havenít tried to handle him for fear that heíll esacpe, so Iím still trying to get to the point where I can handle him a bit better. Iím not sure of his exact age as I forgot to ask the breeder but Iíd guess heís a young adult since he seems to be fully grown but heís also extremely active and energetic. His tank is currently only a ten gallon but Iím saving up for a larger one (I donít know the measurements but basically one of those tall tanks that could be the size of a small human). His set up is a bit bare now but Iím slowly adding things- I have two water bowls (one on the bottom of the tank surrounded by moss for moisture and one thatís elevated for climbing), a branch on the bottom of the tank (but he likes to climb the limbs of it which are elevated), a fake vine with leaves, a plastic hide I got on Etsy, and an elevated food dish. I had a cute little hammock in there I got from Etsy which he loved but I had to take it out for now because the suction cups are defective. Iím trying to see if command hooks will work out better. And as far as where I got him from, heís from a family of snake and gecko/lizard breeders who were set up at a reptile show I went to.

Thanks

Thanks for the advice! The mesh tent sounds like a good idea and Iíll look into getting one. My boy is a jumper more than a runner so as soon as I open the door heís jumping right past me and climbing any surface he can find (Iíd find his hops adorable if he werenít doing it to get away from me). The first few times I got him back in the tank really quickly but the last time he crawled behind my dresser which was a hassle to move (I am an extreme collector so most of the furniture in my room is covered with small items. Otherwise it wouldnít be as big of a problem to get him out from tight areas). It seems that Iíll have to undertake the process of stuffing the gaps between my furniture and the wall so that doesnít happen agaain.

I like the paper towel roll idea! Aside from the last time heís been more of a climber than a hider but either way heís definitely trying to get away from my hands, so the tube seems like the way to go.

Thanks

My room just happens to be the one place in the house with a crawlspace that animals are oddly attracted to. In fact, the reason I feel safe having the gecko in my room is because the cats arenít allowed in ever since we had issues with them running into the crawlspace and refusing to come out for hours (though I suspect that has to do with the crawlspace also being attractive to squirrels and chipmunks trying to get into the house). I doubt my cats would hurt my gecko since theyíre terrible predators, but theyíre extremely playful and I know theyíd enjoy playing with him a lot more than heíd enjoy it.

Thank you so much for your advice and kind responses! Iíve definitely been trying to take the best possible care of my boy since he is the first animal Iíve taken full responsibility for (Iíve had pets in the past but theyíve either been shared animals or I ended up being an annoying little kid who passed the care off to my parents after the novelty of having a new pet wore off). I also may have been a bit too hyped up on anxiety while writing the initial post since I came here as soon as he got out and decided to hide. Actually, since writing the post I havenít had any more issues working around him for feedings and spot cleanings. Iím wondering if maybe I tried to handle him too soon or maybe something happened while I was on vacation that my dad didnít tell me about that spooked him, as he was a lot calmer the first two weeks I got him and never made any escape attempts until I started trying to handle him. Funnily enough, when I first took him home and tried to get him into his tank he jumped onto my hand instead. Now the issue is trying to get him to willingly climb on my hand without jumping anywhere else. Oh how the tables have turned, haha.

Thanks

You mentioned that your tank is rather sparse at the moment. They do love to climb, but they also love places to hide, so if there aren't too many plants or hides in there, he might be feeling rather insecure and "out in the open", which cresties usually do not enjoy. So maybe once you get some more foliage and hides in there, he'll relax and calm down a bit more too.

Good luck! It sounds like you're on the right track.
    Eileen
    TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hidey (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon gecko), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Western Bearded Anole), 3.1.0
    Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) George P-Dog (lab/Great Pyr) 1.2.0, Ringer (barn cat) 1.0.0

Thanks

Have you been able to hold your crestie after all the escape attempts because mine seems to always be plotting a way to escape and I see him just staring at the lid ready to jump when I open it. Because of this Iím really afraid to try and grab him because I donít know how heíll react.

Thanks

Trying to grab him is probably scaring him - it's like a big giant predator coming after him. Try baby steps in getting him used to you. (Hand in tank for a few seconds, working up to a longer time, hand near him for a few seconds, working up to a longer time, hand in front of him to see if he will walk on it for a few seconds, etc.) It takes time, but if you are patient, he may come around. Some geckos just do not like being held, and will end up being more of a display animal, and for me, that is OK.
    Eileen
    TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hidey (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon gecko), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Western Bearded Anole), 3.1.0
    Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) George P-Dog (lab/Great Pyr) 1.2.0, Ringer (barn cat) 1.0.0

Thanks

But if I try to put my hand in Iím afraid heís just going to jump for the opening and escape again.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TAD View Post
    Trying to grab him is probably scaring him - it's like a big giant predator coming after him. Try baby steps in getting him used to you. (Hand in tank for a few seconds, working up to a longer time, hand near him for a few seconds, working up to a longer time, hand in front of him to see if he will walk on it for a few seconds, etc.) It takes time, but if you are patient, he may come around. Some geckos just do not like being held, and will end up being more of a display animal, and for me, that is OK.
    I want to try the hand in tank but when the lid is open he will jump for the opening so itís been hard being able to put in food without him trying to escape and stuff.

Thanks

Does he have enough hides and foliage now? Wondering if he feels secure in the tank.
    Eileen

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TAD View Post
    Does he have enough hides and foliage now? Wondering if he feels secure in the tank.
    Thatís what I was thinking as well because reptiles are pretty new to me so my tank isnít as set up as well as others like youtubers Iíve seen lol but I do have these set of leaves he likes to climb into and a couple of other places to hide. But thanks for helping me out I appreciate it.