Thread: What reptile to get next?

Thanks

Default What reptile to get next?

I already have a Crested and I want another reptile my mom said no to snakes I was thinking about a chameleon but Iím not sure if I could handle it or not I am maybe considering getting a gargoyle I want a tokay but they arenít really that tame. Iím thinking about a turtle or tortoise or like a skink or something any good unique beginner reptiles? We already have a bearded dragon for my brother and have a spare 10 gal. Any suggestions? Thank you

Thanks

A gargoyle is a lot like a crestie in that it requires the exact same care, but it is a little bigger, and a little tamer as an adult. It could stay in a 10 gallon tank, although at some point you might want to upgrade to a bigger one. They also live a long time, so you would need to be prepared for keeping these guys well into adulthood.

Chameleons and tokays I think are generally more difficult to care for, and are usually best for more experienced owners, but I read somewhere that a veiled chameleon might work out if you are willing to put in the extra work to care for it. I've never had a skink, so I couldn't help you there. Turtles need water and filters and a lot of cleaning and the right food and light to keep them healthy. The ones I had were a lot of work. I don't know where you live, to know whether you are in an area that could handle a tortoise - but keep in mind also, that a tortoise could very well outlive you!

Hope this helps a little, and maybe others will chime in with suggestions for you.
    Eileen
    TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hidey (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon gecko), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Western Bearded Anole), 3.1.0
    Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) George P-Dog (lab/Great Pyr) 1.2.0, Ringer (barn cat) 1.0.0

Thanks

OK, how about a Chinese cave gecko? Josh's Frogs is carrying those now.

Care sheet: http://www.joshsfrogs.com/catalog/bl...ter+Recipients

Or...leopard gecko? Easy keepers, but like heat more than cresties, and eat more bugs.

Chahoua? Faster than a speeding crestie, but nice pets, similar care...
    Eileen
    TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hidey (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon gecko), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Western Bearded Anole), 3.1.0
    Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) George P-Dog (lab/Great Pyr) 1.2.0, Ringer (barn cat) 1.0.0

Thanks

I am going to go with the Chinese Cave Gecko we have an empty 10 gal tank and the coco fiber would a ground feeding/water bowl do better than a one where the gecko has to climb to get the water/food and do I feed the crickets in the cage or separate so do they need branches? Any tips? Thank you

Thanks

I don't really know anything about them other than what's on the care sheet, but you can call Josh's Frogs directly and get answers to those questions. They are very helpful.
    Eileen

Thanks

Here's a video they put out about cave geckos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZfzUnXJ5v8
    Eileen

Thanks

Just want to add that chameleons are a lot of work. Like 10x the amount of work compared to a crestie or leopard gecko. I would move up to something like a bearded dragon that requires more care but is still pretty hardy before a chameleon. I don't even want a chameleon since they seem like way to much work and they aren't as hardy so screwing up the humidity or heat could kill them quickly unlike hardier reptiles that could live for months with too low temps or something. You also seem younger so remember that when you go to University/College this chameleon can't come with you and all that care would be placed on your parents who may not want to put all that time and work into looking after it. They need special lighting, very specific humidity requirements, can stress easily and aren't always very friendly. So you may not even be able to handle it. I would also make sure you know of a local reptile vet because when chameleons shows signs of illness they can go downhill very fast, they also aren't as hardy as a crestie meaning if the way you are caring for them isn't perfect it won't take much to make them sick or kill them. They seem like an amazing reptile to own but they are a big commitment so make sure you are 1000% ready and that your parents are also prepared for how to care for them and willing to look after it if you aren't around.

In reply to cave geckos. They seem pretty similar to leopard geckos in looks so I would assume they don't climb so ground based decorations (rocks, caves, logs) and ground bowls are what you should have. Lots of thoughts out there about substrate. Eco earth is easier to pass then sand so eating some when getting fed probably isn't too dangerous. Some people hand feed with tongs for this reason. Another option would be to use paper towls and just spray more often to keep humidity up.