Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bug bomb in reptile room advice please!

Thanks

Default Bug bomb in reptile room advice please!

Hey everyone so my boyfriends dogs have had a sudden outbreak of fleas. My boyfriend has a room in the back of his parents house which we spend most of our time in and in which we keep the majority of our reptiles in. The dogs are usually in his room in a crate at night but since the fleas came and it's gotten warmer they've been sleeping outside at night.

Anyway his room we think still has fleas in it and were planning on doing a bug bomb to get rid of them. My question to you guys is should I remove the geckos cages from the room during the bug bomb or can I leave the cages in the room and just cover them so they don't get the chemicals in them. The geckos will be removed from the room of course but I'm just concerned about the cages. We have 2 of the larger Exo Terra's one is planted and VERY heavy so we really don't want to have to move them out of the room. I know with the bug bombs after 24 hours the chemicals are gone and wear off so I'm not sure if it would kill the plants in the cages or what. Also I'm not sure if it would be safe for the geckos to go back in after the bug bombs chemicals are gone. Please let me know if you have any experience in this or know of any good bug bombs that won't be too harmful to us and our geckos after they've been cleared out! Thanks!
    <3 Rachel (Kiwi Geckos)
    My iherp
    Bunches of critters.

Thanks

That seems extreme. If you use GOOD flea preventative on the dogs (something like comfortis, from your vet), vacuum the room, wash the linens, etc and put the dogs in the room, the problem should take care of itself because any fleas left will get on the dogs and die.
    Crested geckos, sikorae, tokay, flying geckos, axolotl
    https://m.facebook.com/Gexolotl?ref=bookmark

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kimfishepet For This Useful Post:

MistyC (05-05-2013)

Thanks

We've already treated the dogs and tried that. The fleas are still around. Not in extreme amounts but they're here and the dogs no longer have fleas. So I so need to bug bomb the room to get them out of our couch and out from under the bed.
    <3 Rachel (Kiwi Geckos)
    My iherp
    Bunches of critters.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xxrach View Post
    We've already treated the dogs and tried that. The fleas are still around. Not in extreme amounts but they're here and the dogs no longer have fleas. So I so need to bug bomb the room to get them out of our couch and out from under the bed.
    There are several methods of getting rid of pest insects that don't require a bug bomb. Sprinkle Diatomaceous Earth onto the rug, couch, etc. Vacuum up every day or two. Put a flea collar in the vacuum bag and anything that gets sucked up will perish in the bag.

But if you do the bug bomb route, I'd suggest removing every animal. With fish, you can generally turn off the filter and cover the tank really well with plastic and it's usually fine. But animals with lungs should really be removed from the room.
    Stickyfoot Dragons on Facebook

“You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals.”
    -Paul McCartney

Thanks

I have to admit embarrassingly so. We went two months without flea treatment on our three dogs, just plain forget and got nailed with fleas last year. We DID NOT BOMB. We used Frontline on all three dogs and the three indoor cats and it took about 9 months to get rid of them. We threw away all dog beds and like the above poster vacuumed every day, bed and whatnot. I think our helpful part is that we have hardwood floors throughout. It took a long time but I was just not willing to bomb my house. We did use the Diatomaceous Earth as well as it is all natural for the basement carpet. We also fleas combed everyone four times a week. It was a lot of work and a long wait but in time we beat those fleas. Lesson learned from me: watch the calendar better.

Thanks

I'd have to agree with everyone in saying to not use the bug bomb. The problem with 'bug bombs' is that it only usually kills the adult and larval stages of the flea, the other two stages (pupae and egg) are unharmed by the bugbomb. Pick up some frontline from your veterinarian and get enough to treat all the animals in the house for 3 months which is the minimum amount of time it will take to break the entire life cycle. The pupae form of the flea is pretty much impossible to kill which is why you have to continue using the frontline every month to continue to kill the other forms of the flea. Like other posters said vacuum every day if possible and wash the linen and dog beds regularly. Fleas suck but the bug bomb, unfortunately, is not the best answer to the problem. :/ Personally I wouldn't risk using a bug bomb. If you do decide that you absolutely are going to use a bug bomb I would remove the geckos and seal up the cages as best as possible. Also check the ingredients of the bug bomb...some are more toxic and unsafe than others.
    0.2.0 Canines: Remington, Gambit
    0.2.0 Cresties Winchester, Ferdinand

Thanks

The dogs and the stray cat that lives outside are all being treated with frontline so I guess we can just wait it out. The room is quite small so being able to vacuum under the bed and the couch is very difficult. Thankfully we have wood floor but were pretty sure they're living in our couch and the bed /:
    <3 Rachel (Kiwi Geckos)
    My iherp
    Bunches of critters.

Thanks

You might try comfortis, or activyl if you can get it. Otherwise, I agree with the other posters that frontline can take about 3 months to get a good hold on it.
    Crested geckos, sikorae, tokay, flying geckos, axolotl
    https://m.facebook.com/Gexolotl?ref=bookmark

Thanks

When I had a flea outbreak in my old cabin, Comfortis really helped. Within about 30 minutes tons of dead fleas were dropping off my pup and she was just a walking flea magnet of death. I also put baking soda on the carpet and vaccumed daily for a couple weeks. Since then, Gerdie gets a monthly dose of comfortis at flea time.
    1♂ 1♀ 6? Crested Gecko; 1♂ Eastern Kingsnake; 1♀ Western Hognose Snake; 1♀ mutt hound dog, Gerdie; 3 Lepidodactylus lugubris

Thanks

Agreeing with do not use the bomb.

Fleas are always a war, not just a battle. It will take several months of treatments to completely get rid of them (because of their lifecycle and all the nooks and crannies inside your home for hiding in)
    Treat the dogs with a topical or internal medication approved by your vet, as well as any other pets in your house (even indoor cats)
    wash all linens you can. If you can shampoo any carpet you have, and also vacuum all floors including hardwood (they can hide inside the cracks of hardwood floors too!) Flea collars are useless for putting on pets, but you stick one inside the vacuum canister/bag to kill fleas inside there.

Flea combs. It is tedious, but when I moved into a new house that unbeknownst to me had a massive flea infestation, I went over my (small) dogs with a flea comb every day. If your dogs are bigger it's harder to go over their whole body, but it still could help if you go over their favorite areas on the dog (I find right above the base of tail and around that area, the neck/throat/ears, and any underarms.)
    www.Gracious Geckos.com
    Specializing in (but not limited to) R. auriculatus!
    Facebook!