Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Hatchling, please help!

Thanks

Default First Hatchling, please help!

I may be freaking out for nothing but something doesn't seem right to me.

Details: This is my first hatchling and I have never seen a gecko on hatch day before. The egg was incubated for more than 100 days at 70 deg and hatched this morning. A friend of mine with an incubator has kindly incubated this egg full term while I was out of the country. The egg was unevenly calcified from the second clutch of a first time mom. Mom has enormous calcium sacs, so no worries there. Vermiculite was used for incubation. The other egg from this clutch didn't make it.

I received the gecko this evening. He had been kept on very moist moss. My friend said he had eaten this morning after having CGD placed on his nose. This was done twice with success. I was told to try again tonight and I did. I met no success as the little one threw himself into a tantrum after the CGD was on his nose, wiping it off. He gaped and I saw a fair amount of vermiculite inside. After his tantrum he became extremely lethargic and has basically ceased to move. I observed from afar and saw him gape a few times (not at me).

Long story short--he isn't moving or breathing visibly, but I don't believe he is dead. Is this AT ALL normal? Any of it? What, if anything, can I do? should I do? Very worried

Here is a photo:
    Last edited by Larn'sLizards; 08-28-2012 at 12:06 AM. Reason: GRAMMAR
    4.10.5 R. ciliatus
    1.1 E. agricolae
    0.0.1 R. leachianus
    "Like" us on facebook:

Thanks

A second photo:
    4.10.5 R. ciliatus
    1.1 E. agricolae
    0.0.1 R. leachianus
    "Like" us on facebook:

Thanks

He probably ate some substrate while in the incubator. Not sure how to help, but my gecko threw a tantrum when I gave her some liquid calcium. She wiped it off on the newspaper and vigorously shook her head. Maybe the little guy didn't want any more food, or if it had bit of vermiculite in there he might have gotten scared.

Thanks

I am a novice so take my advice with a grain of salt, but from what I have read you should avoid hand feeding your hatchlings because it's very easy from them to inhale the food and choke or suffocate. You should place the food where they have access to it, and allow them to eat at will, like they would in the wild. Often they will not be hungry right away, let them eat when they feel like it. After all, no one is there to put food on their nose in the wild. Good luck! I hope he pulls through!
    Lots of people talk to animals.... Not very many listen, though.... That's the problem. -Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

Thanks

If you are really worried you could try a sauna to see if it will respond to water! Hope the little one hasn't passed!
    2.1 Leopard Geckos
    1.0.4 Crested Geckos
    0.1 African Fat Tailed Gecko

Thanks

I completely realize that I should NOT have tried to feed him. My friend has had reptiles for so long and has always done nothing but help me so I didn't think twice about following instructions :/
    4.10.5 R. ciliatus
    1.1 E. agricolae
    0.0.1 R. leachianus
    "Like" us on facebook:

Thanks

oh no, vermiculite in the mouth is not a good thing. But you knew that. That baby does not look well. its front feet are not normally placed. It is possibly dead. My guess is that the tantrum was a seizure. I know they will wipe food off their nose which is rather cute to watch, sounds like yours was much more violent. Good luck
    Roxanne
    and the zoo
    www.geckoluv.com

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rhatfield For This Useful Post:

Akamaru (08-28-2012)

Thanks

He did pass. How sad :'(
    4.10.5 R. ciliatus
    1.1 E. agricolae
    0.0.1 R. leachianus
    "Like" us on facebook:

Thanks

I'm so sorry.
    4.1 Dogs: Baringer, Riesling, Trunks, Tebow & Dante 1.0 Sulcata: Cavin 1.1 KSB: Mordecei & P.B. 2.2.6 Gargoyles: Venture, Triana, LSP, Nyx, 21 & 24 0.2 Leopard Geckos: Videl & Eclipse 1. 0AFT: Rigby 7.7.19 Cresties: Ghost, Drayven, Morzan, Jelly, Esme, Peach, Marcelene, Ino, Chi, Haven, Tsunade, Senju, Cinna, Tribute, Jiraya, Iruka, Kurama, Seelie, Kushina, Tada & Iyrony 1.0 Short Tailed Opossum: Daubie

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Untaimed For This Useful Post:

Larn'sLizards (08-28-2012)

Thanks

I'm sorry for your loss. I had 2 hatchlings pop out last night and one was perfectly healthy, but the other died within a few hours. I feel for you.

It'll be okay
    Hi! I'm CarrieAnn
    6.5.6.0 Crested Geckos 0.3.0 Gargoyle Geckos
    1.0 Bearded Dragon 0.0.1 Savannah Monitor
    1.0 Yellow Belly BP 1.0 Chihuahua
    & a 5 year old daughter <3

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CarrieAnnsCresties For This Useful Post:

Larn'sLizards (08-28-2012)