Thread: Leopard gecko questions

Thanks

Question Leopard gecko questions

Ok so here's the story: my cousin had 2 male leopards and could no longer care for them, she asked me to take them in so, knowing the way that side of my family treats and veiw animals, I said yes in an instant. I know a few things about them but not enough I need to know some general care information from those of you who know ok so here's some quetions, feel free to add in any additional info if you could

1. How often do they eat? These guys I beleive are full grown (she never gave me ages or anything also one is the father to the other) them seemed rather skinny when they came in, I'm making a trip to the pet store tomorrow,

2. What type of meal worms should I buy for them, or do they eat super worms? I know we have some at my school that eat superworms, but knowing the stupidity and ignorance oft school teachers I just want to double check on that.

3. What is the best substrate for them? I read somewhere that wood shavings are bad, she has one of them on woodchips, I'm not sure if that's just as bad.

4. What is the best tank size for them? One is in a 20 gallon and the other is in what I beleive to be a 20 gallon long or something along those lines.

Sorry about all the questions, I'm new to them and I don't really trust most of the information food on care sheets because when doing research I always fin the actual pet owners disagree with them and have complete different veiw, like I do with quite a few crested gecko care sheets (I have alot of experience with cresties) so even though I don't have the experience I had to take them In because I knew that they'd be better off.

I was obviously right. the son is missing half of each of his toes obviously from shedding problems that weren't properly cared for, there's one full toe left but the tip is already dead and about to fall off so there is nothing I can do.

The father had skin stuck on the bottom of his stomach and tail, misted his tank well hoping it would help, which it did not so I just got finnished getting it all off with warm water and a q tip.

Thank you all for reading and thanks in advance for responses
    2.1.0 Cresties 0.0.1 Gargoyle 1.0.0 Leopard gecko 0.1.0 Cornsnake 0.0.1 Columbian Tegu 1.1.0 Dogs 1.2.0 Cats 1.0.0 Chinchilla 0.1.0 banded king snake 0.1.0 california kingsnake
    R.I.P frogbutt, medusa, horus, and vyktor

Thanks

No problems with the ?'s...It's better to ask than guess and be wrong. AS far as food for leos...Crickets, mealworms, superworms,waxworms, are all acceptable....Waxies are more of a treat or if you need to fatten one up. Underbelly heat is good for them a hot spot @ 95 is preferable with a humid hide on theat side to help with shedding. I feed mine every other day or so. You can leave a dish of mealies in the tank for them to self feed if thats easier. I use papertowels as substraite since its easier to clean. You can use tile, or repticarpet though I've read that their toes get stuck in it sometimes. AS far as tanks go the 2-20's you have should be fine. You copuld also add an additional female to either one with those size tanks... though keep in mind you'll need to have a place to put the males after breding...Good Luck Leos are a blast.....

Thanks

Thank you I probably won't end up breeding them just because I plan on breeding cresties soon and I don't want to end up with more than I can handle. Now I read somewhere they can use sand for substrate, is that correct?
    2.1.0 Cresties 0.0.1 Gargoyle 1.0.0 Leopard gecko 0.1.0 Cornsnake 0.0.1 Columbian Tegu 1.1.0 Dogs 1.2.0 Cats 1.0.0 Chinchilla 0.1.0 banded king snake 0.1.0 california kingsnake
    R.I.P frogbutt, medusa, horus, and vyktor

Thanks

The previous person is right. I personally don't like mealworms, though, and would stick with crickets and superworms. It's not hard for leos to have shed issues, with the tank being so dry compared to the tank of a crested gecko, so make sure you make a nice moist hide (I use moss) and check on it every couple of days. My two girls LOVE their moist hide, so it is always occupied by one or the other of them. Use a clear one so you can watch them (for fun). In the basking area, give them something that they can climb on and hide under. The 20 gallons sound good. I have my two girls housed together in one 20 and they do fine, but 20 each is even better, and of course you have two boys on your hands and not two girls, so they can't live together. I also feed mine every other day. If I feed more than that, the crickets just roam around and trash their tank. Oh, and yes, I would say to use paper towels, too. The sand thing is controversial. I'm just going to say that paper towels are the easier way to go.

Good luck! You're going to love leos! I don't breed right now. I may or may not, in the future. I just have my two girls (a hypo and a bell albino), but I absolutely love them. They are different from cresties. I used to have one that would come out and stare and me as I did my laundry. They are so cute when they hunt, too.

Post pictures when you get them!
    Currently working with R. ciliatus

Thanks

They do not live on sand in the wild, and they lick... a lot. Solid substrates are the way to go. I like repti carpet, paper towels or tiles personally. Why risk using sand, which is NOT digestible (no matter how much they say it is) when you don't have to, you know?

Mine get superworms twice a week. My warm spot is 88-92 degrees measured with a digital thermometer.
    12.15.4.5 Crested geckos; 1.1 Gargoyle geckos; 1.1 Leopard geckos; 1.1 Fat-tailed geckos; 2.0 Viper geckos; 1.0 male dwarf rabbit; lots of fish