Thread: Expanding Interests

Thanks

Default Expanding Interests

OK... in another thread about E. agricolae, things went a little off topic and it was suggested that this conversation might make an interesting new thread. So, I'll get it started.

Many people jump into the world of geckos with some of the common "starter" species such as crested geckos or leopard geckos. For some, this is where they stay. For many others, this first exposure to geckos opens a doorway to "expanding interests". Many find the next logical step is to expand into other species of Rhacodactylus geckos. Others begin to look into more obscure non-rhac species.

As I expressed in the other thread, for me to stay highly interested and motivated in the reptile hobby, I need to keep learning something new. This is what keeps it fresh and challenging for me. I add a few new species each year, but that doesn't mean I find my crested geckos any less interesting.

I had some experience with snake breeding back in the mid 1990's where I started with corns and as I gained experience and started getting into more "exotic" species, I began to look at corn snakes as "beginners snakes" and was no longer interested in them. Looking back, I probably had the most fun and enjoyment out of keeping and breeding various colors of corn snakes than I did with any of the other species that had more "prestige". Maybe I had become a bit of a "reptile snob". It's easy to do.

Now, with the gecko collection, I try to appreciate each species for their own unique qualities. Crested geckos are popular for a reason. Those reasons still appeal to me. I also get a lot of satisfaction from working with species that are less well known or appreciated. There are species of geckos which are almost impossible to find in the hobby any more because no one really picked up the ball and worked with them. If I have success with one of those species I feel like I'm contributing something valuable. That has an appeal for me.

So, let's toss around some ideas here. What do you keep "outside of the rhac realm" that you think is interesting and why? Do you feel Rhacs are enough, or do you plan on diversifying (or have you already)?

Gary
    Gary Hamann
    Ridge and Valley Reptiles

www.ridgeandvalleyreptiles.com

Thanks

Hey,
    interesting subject, I too started with snakes,some 40 yrs ago, ended up with a pair of Bearded Dragons, next thing I knew I sold all but one snake,I kept my Outer Banks Kingsnake. I ended up with alot of Bearded Dragons and upgraded to Frilled Dragons which has proven to be quite frustrating with Indonesian imports being expensive and poor condition,but I refuse to give up, by now I was hoping to have these established and move on to phase three which was going to be the Australian Water Dragons,but thats another day.

I had no plans on working with Gecko's, then while setup at the expo show a young couple that had a "pair" of leopards asked if I would consider a trade for my baby Beardie,it was a slow show for me,and I said sure,why not,they couldn't understand why their two yrs. old pair never bred,lets see,all ways kept together,never fought,yep, two females,that would do it,following month I picked up a male,and Iam still picking up Leo's, Cresties started for me when the customer who bought all of my Yellow Rat Snakes,mentioned ,just once he would like to catch a wild snake,I let him walk thru are backyard,one hour later, he had 8 Western Plains Garter snakes, in return, he gave me some crestie eggs,I placed them in the incubator with the Beardie eggs at 84.5 degrees and hatched in 50 days, and Ive added to them,I didnt realize how much fun these smaller lizard could and would be, what surprised me was the fact that, even thou their nocturnal, their out and about during the day time, but I still wanted something different, unique at least to our area, White Lined Gecko's?I have a small breeding pod,nobody seams to be working with these,but imports are common still, but Chinese Cave Gecko's , thats going to be my unique Gecko project,I was fortunate enough to find a few from a wholesaler,expensive, but I took a chance,knowing very little about them,their very delicate and fragile,but so far doing excellent,size is comparable to the Leo's, whether the become popular or not, I don't care. Im still working with Leo's,Cresties,Gargoyles to sell with my Dragon babies,at the expo's, If theirs no interest in the Chinese Cave Gecko's,I'm fine with that,just means more for me, to watch and enjoy, hopefully some of the sub-species will find their why to me as well.

three years ago if someone told me I'd be working with "Gecko's".my response would have been ...what the hells a "gecko"?LOL.Dragons,all about the Dragons.

Joe M.
    www.dragonslare.com
    1.4. Frilled Dragons, 4.5.0.15 Bearded Dragons, 1.4.31.24 Crested Geckos, 1.4.0.2 Halmahera Giant Geckos (marginata), 1.1. Gargoyle Geckos, 3.8.6.4 Leopard Geckos, 1.5.1.20 Chinese Cave Geckos, 2.1.2.4 Fat-Tail Geckos, 1.1. Mossy LeafTail Gecko's, 0.1 Henkeli LeafTail Gecko, 0.3. African Banded Velvet Gecko's, 0.0.2 Madagascan Giant Day Gecko's, 1.0. Veiled Chameleons, .1.1. Cyrtodactylus irianjayaensis 1.1. Cyrtodactylus intermedius 1.4.Tibetan Frog-Eyed Gecko's

Thanks

I haven't done much expanding with geckos but i'm working up to that point. I just sold off all of my monitors,skinks,chameleons and frogs. I only kept a few that I really enjoy working with. I've been looking into species that don't require much heat ( my electric bill high enough) I love the tropical arborial species ( I<3 sticky feet) i'd love to get into day geckos and leaf tails. I recently ventured into tokays and I love them.

Thanks

You mean there are more than one type of gecko

I'm interested to see how others reply to this thread

Derek Dunlop
    DDReptiles
    www.DDReptiles.net
    Croc's Rule- Steve Irwin

Thanks

Aww Derek, you are supposed to say what they are and why you love working with them. The idea here is to get people to understand / share your passion for these critters. So, what are those and why do you love working with them?

Thanks

I have laid dormant on these forums for a while, but I wanted to chime in here. Part of the reason I have been dormant is because of the research I have been doing since being introduced to the reptile hobby a year ago. Our projects also keep us quite busy (building not breeding). Currently, I still only keep Rachs. 1 Garg and 9 Cresteds.

My expanding interest in geckos includes the Phelsumas. I find their bright colors very attractive and also like the fact that they are diurnal. It would be nice to have a species of gecko to observe during the day as well as the many nocturnal species at night.

I would also love to get a few Uroplatus. Their colors and camouflage are astounding. Especially intriguing to me is lineatus. I think you could get rather creative with a natural set-up made to replicate the bamboo forests it prefers to inhabit.

I would also love to keep a Palmatogecko rangei (Webfooted gecko). They are a terrestrial gecko that lives in a dessert setting (different from all the above). I find their obsessive digging rather amusing.

It will not be a gecko that I obtain next though (probably not ). Since I was a kid I have been fascinated with Chameleons and can hopefully obtain one soon. Their colors and tongue are what fascinate me the most. I find their slow movements to be elegant and relaxing. And those eyes! Many times I have tried to envision what it would be like to have the vision of a Chameleon.

I would also like to get a few Theloderma corticale (Vietnamese Mossy Frogs). Their bumpy skin is like no other frog I am aware of. These are the one animal I would have a strong desire to breed. I would love to witness the process of such a fascinating creature going from aquatic tadpole to lunged frog.

Last on the list are the salamanders and newts. Figured to be a close living relative to the first back-boned creatures to crawl from the ocean (closer yet is the lungfish), it would be very interesting for me to observe these creatures which had such a profound effect on evolutionary history.
    Last edited by Madtown Cresties; 04-10-2010 at 11:15 AM.
    - Levi

1.2.5 Crested Geckos (Fidget, Sprinkles, Midget, Foxy, Chili, Skittles, Poppler, and Perdie)
    0.0.1 gargoyle (Pickles)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dragontown View Post
    Aww Derek, you are supposed to say what they are and why you love working with them. The idea here is to get people to understand / share your passion for these critters. So, what are those and why do you love working with them?
    I love working with them as if I didn't have something to challenge me I think I would blow my brains out just caring for crested geckos/leopard geckos as they are just too easy.

Each species is like a little puzzle, cresteds are like a 10 piece puzzle you give to a child, eventually you grow out of putting that 10 piece puzzle together and move up to a 25, 50, 100, 1,000, etc. piece puzzle. To figure out the puzzle you must research the species, try to understand what makes them tick, and then find what kind of captive situation will make that species to reproduce. Opening the incubator to find a new hatchling from a species that you have never produced before is the same type of ecstasy you get from completing that seemingly impossible puzzle you have been working on a little bit for the last year or two. That ecstasy is what I work for as the feeling you get from knowing that you produced something that most people have never heard of or seen before is an incedible feeling.

Oh and the species above are as follows:
    Geckoella albofaciata- an extremely rare species from the western Gnats of India, near Bombay.
    Ebenavia inunguis- a tiny gecko (really tiny) that lives in the leaf litter in the rainforest of Madagascar
    Cyrtodactylus irianjayaensis- A bent toed gecko from the island of Iran Jaya (hence their name), the largest of the Cyrtodactylus, and one of the largest geckos in the world.

Thanks Derek
    Derek Dunlop
    DDReptiles
    www.DDReptiles.net
    Croc's Rule- Steve Irwin

Thanks

Opening the incubator to find a new hatchling from a species that you have never produced before is the same type of ecstasy you get from completing that seemingly impossible puzzle you have been working on a little bit for the last year or two. Thanks Derek[/QUOTE]

WELL said!