Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What in the name of all that is holy (poo pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What in the name of all that is holy (poo pics)

Hello everyone!

I just recently purchased a 2.5 gram crested gecko from a breeder I believe to be reliable, the crestie arrived on 9-27-2018 and up until tonight (10/20/2018) they've acted perfectly normal. Including having three regular looking poops thus far. Eating, drinking, the whole shebang. Thought I was in for another easy raising experience, but this year is kind of putting me through hell.

Tonight just as I'm cleaning out dishes and replacing food they let out the largest poop I've seen from a gecko this size yet, and it looked downright bizarre. There's these almost perfectly round, lighter colored spheres inside of it. I even poked it apart with a q-tip and the whole darned thing is just packed with them, nothing worm-like was moving inside of it thank god. Though even with my frantic googling I can't find anything remotely similar looking.

My local reptile vet is off during the weekends, once Monday rolls around I'll be sending off the same images I'm posting here and probably making an appointment. Though if anyone has a guess as to what it might be or seen it before, then I'd greatly appreciate your help in turning down my reptilian anxiety attack from an 11 to maybe a 5.

Quick info:
    • Modified storage bin enclosure, paper towel substrate, fake plant decor. Nothing able to be ingested unless buddy boy here is snacking on paper towels but I see no evidence of it.
    • Temps are hovering around 70F
    • Heavily misted at night, lightly in the morning if needed.
    • Feeding pangea fruit mix, no insects are given to any of my geckos. (I'm too paranoid about parasites, and yet here we are.)
    • It's a pretty solid poo, but fresh enough to be easily pulled apart. I wouldn't personally classify it as runny, but you may think otherwise.
    • Probably irrelevant but they shed last Sunday.
    • Proper quarantine being observed. Handled last, my hands disinfected to hell and back with chlorhexidine/soap, etc you know the drill. All other animals seemingly healthy. The only thing I can't do is keep them in separate rooms, though if it's any help the 2.5 gram kid is kept at least 5 to 6 ft away from the metro that the others tubs are on.

Have fun looking at gecko poop- here's two pictures. One before and after I poked it apart.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181020_202753.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	1106781Click image for larger version

Name:	20181020_203032.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	1106782
    Last edited by Technicolor; 10-21-2018, 12:05 AM.

Quick update: Managed to get my younger brother to house the offending little booger in their room until I can get this straightened out, changed my clothes, will be washing all my crap off tomorrow morning before work.

Mercy upon me I'm tired of having health scares.

Comment

Don't panic. Take a fresh poo sample to your vet. If all other poops have been normal, he's probably fine, and this was just a one-time thing.
      Eileen
      TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hidey (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon gecko), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Western Bearded Anole), 3.1.0
      Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) George P-Dog (lab/Great Pyr) 1.2.0, Ringer (barn cat) 1.0.0

Comment

Thanks for the reply Tad! It does help a bit. I'm a little paranoid after a tidal wave of pet-health issues that cropped up this summer, but I have no issue driving an hour to find out whats up with some poo.
        Just have to wait for Jupiter to drop another doozy, I'd be overjoyed if it was a false alarm.

Comment

Update:

Just made an appointment for the 27th at around noon for a general check-up and a fecal test.
          The woman that I spoke to said that stool samples are only "good" for about 24 hours, could anyone echo that this is true in your experience?

I feel like I'll have a difficult time getting that within a 24 hour period.

Comment

Yes, it has to be fresh poo. But maybe they'll be able to run a fecal test anyway, and hopefully rule out any parasites. Any normal poo today?
            Eileen
            TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hidey (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon gecko), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Western Bearded Anole), 3.1.0
            Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) George P-Dog (lab/Great Pyr) 1.2.0, Ringer (barn cat) 1.0.0

Comment

Darn I was hoping that I could keep it in the fridge for at least two days, my pets love to spite me.

Nothing yet though, I did find three normal looking urates while squinting at the paper towel. So at the very least, they're staying hydrated. Here's hoping that if I can't get one by the night of the 30th they'll at least let loose on the car ride there.

Comment

Update: Got a normal looking poo that isn't- well whatever that previous consistency was! Awesome, super happy to see that. Hope I'm just a paranoia case. I'll update you guys again come the 31st ;o

Comment

Update, Vet Visit Edition:

SO- The fecal from the 28th came back exceptionally normal, not a molecule of turd out of place if you will. No eggs, no worms, not anything. That does a lot to reassure me, but! The vet and I both agreed to keep an eye on Jupiter just in case anything else arises that looks sketchy. I suggested that perhaps after two more normal poops I can perhaps breathe a little easier. Though I'll be doing another full month of quarantine on top of that. She was concerned about the nodules in the pictures and how stringy it looked and asked me to email them to her, so that she could post to her network of reptile experts to get a second opinion.

If they know anything, she'll give me a buzz or an email and tell me what's up.

Comment

UPDATE V2, THIS DIDN'T TAKE LONG EDITION:

Saw a threadlike, semi-translucent white Absolutely Textbook Case of a worm in their poo tonight (oh just scroll down and look at the picture if you aren't eating), and no it's not moving around.

Fantastic, I'm not sure if I can financially handle another vet visit.
                    It's $77 + toll road costs of about $20 for a simple checkup and fecal with no medication, and that's on top of probably a thousand+ dollars already spent this summer alone on the rest of my animals and ongoing $100+ medication costs for my dog. Yo, Jesus, you want to give me a bit of a break here? Mercy, please. I can't keep taking off work to run to the vet, I'm not making that money back with a part-time job.

Vet mentioned Panacur last time, I'm assuming that's her go-to. I'm going to email her and see what options I have. Sorry about my horrid fingernails by the way, anxiety does that to people.

Last edited by Technicolor; 11-04-2018, 12:44 AM.

Comment

I am not a vet, nor do I play one on TV, but it's POSSIBLE that is just a piece of substrate or fiber strand of some type. Email the photo to your vet and see what they think. The good news is, that poop looks very normal as compared to the first pics you sent.

I hear you on the vet bills. We are downsizing on animals (not replacing when they die) just for that reason. That's one reason I went to geckos - not nearly as expensive as the furry pets, for the most part.
                      Eileen

Comment

Originally posted by TAD View Post
                        I am not a vet, nor do I play one on TV, but it's POSSIBLE that is just a piece of substrate or fiber strand of some type. Email the photo to your vet and see what they think. The good news is, that poop looks very normal as compared to the first pics you sent.

I hear you on the vet bills. We are downsizing on animals (not replacing when they die) just for that reason. That's one reason I went to geckos - not nearly as expensive as the furry pets, for the most part.

I love my animals and I'd pay anything for them don't get me wrong, it's just a little stressful when the problems keep rolling in and you feel like you're not making progress towards anyone's health anymore, while your funds deplete quicker than you can replace. I don't own more than I can care for but I also never expected to be taking on expensive family issues and pet issues all within a six month time span. Scares me quite a bit, but I've got a plan to get back on track.

Vet does think it looks like a worm however, but asked if I was sure that it wasn't moving- to make sure it wasn't a strand of mucus or something similar like you suggested. All mine have been housed on paper towel since entering my care so I am not quite sure what it could be if not a parasite. It looks very very wormy to my very un-trained eyes, and while I have a white chihuahua that is far too limp and noodly looking to be his hair. Doesn't match his fur texture.

I asked the vet if she would want me to wait for another "maybe worm" to show up that actually does do a little dance for me before we set out to medicate, still waiting on her reply to that. We both want to avoid unnecessary medication at any cost. If Jupiter weren't eating and pooping as much as they are (like clockwork I find something every 4 to 5 days) I'd have never suggested waiting. Outside of that I'm happy that in terms of look, the stool hasn't gotten any looser but instead firmed up a bit! I have gotten three solid ones since the first posted image, and this is the first one since then that's shown anything out of the norm.

I've never dealt with parasites before and while I do as much research as possible, it's a whole different ballgame actually treating it. I feel like I'll mess up at a moments notice even with an exotic reptile vet guiding me the entire way through, but it'll be okay.

Comment

That is a lot of stress to be under. I hope you get some good news on all fronts soon. It's sad when you can't enjoy your pets because of worry about finances. I'm glad you have a plan. That is half the battle.
                          Eileen

Comment

Originally posted by TAD View Post
                            That is a lot of stress to be under. I hope you get some good news on all fronts soon. It's sad when you can't enjoy your pets because of worry about finances. I'm glad you have a plan. That is half the battle.
                            I hope so, I mean my comfort lies in the fact that parasites are somewhat common and therefore have been treated with success many times, and that my vet was prepared from the moment I stepped into her practice to give me instructions had anything turned up.

Plus my pets aren't losing weight or acting lethargic yet, so I'd say it's still pretty early and shouldn't be too terrible of a treatment process. I'm a bit of a paranoia case about contamination to boot, sanitizing everything proper should be a breeze.

Comment

Found another exceptionally wet poo tonight, it was a little solid splat (not pellet shaped at all) in a wet brown spot. Again no moving worms or anything worm-like, vet doesn't want to jump the gun and medicate with the clean fecal we saw + no shed worms. It seems like for every semi-solid poo I get the next one is a mess. They're still sitting at 2.5g and active as ever, I weighed them a day or two ago they were 2.9g. I'm assuming the other .4 was that atrocious poo. At least they're eating and hydrated. Guh.

I wonder if my pangea went bad? I'll try ordering a fresh bag and see if that does anything. There's nothing else I can think of after the clean fecal vet visit.

Comment

Working...
                              X