HELP, rescued geckos.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP, rescued geckos.

So i just rescued two 9 month old crested geckos, they were all housed in a tiny plastic container, smaller than a shoebox, there were about 5 of them. So heres the issue, they are the size of hatchlings and very skinny, i'm not surprised as their growth must have been stunted due to the size of their home and their stress levels. They are now housed in 12x12x18 exo-terras, they will be moved into bigger enclosures when they've put on some size. Now heres my question, what do you recommend i do for them to make them put on some size, how often should i feed them and should i feed them in a separate container (small plastic container) or should i just let them find the food and eat whenever they feel like it?.. I feed them pangea mix and right now i hand feed them with a small wooden skewer stick to encourage them to eat. I also put a small amount of pangea in a water bottle lid and leave it in their cages over night about every other night. They are active and jumpy tho so i do think they have been fed properly before.

I realise that i shouldn't buy unhealthy geckos, but honestly i couldn't let them live under those conditions.

Thank you for trying to help them. Pangea should be their main diet. The Breeding formula would probably be extra good for these guys as it has extra protein in it; you can feed it as is, or mix it with some of the fruit flavors for a change-up. Replace the food every other day, but leave it in the tanks until you replace it. Feed them in their tanks, and you can put two feeding stations in the tanks if you feel they are having trouble finding food. Try to wean off the hand-feeding after you know they are eating on their own. If you can feed them roaches in addition to their Pangea, there is usually a growth spurt once you start feeding live food. Some may like them, some may not, but it would not hurt to try.
    Eileen
    TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hidey (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon gecko), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Western Bearded Anole), 3.1.0
    Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) George P-Dog (lab/Great Pyr) 1.2.0, Ringer (barn cat) 1.0.0

Comment

I agree with everything TAD says, but will add that, if roaches aren't available in your area (they're illegal in Canada, for instance), gut-loaded and calcium-dusted crickets would do well, too. Growing geckos need protein! That said, they will eat at their own rates and grow at their own rates. They have an excellent sense of smell and are hungry, so there's no need to hand-feed them; just provide CGD for them and let them find it.

Thank you again for caring for these little squishes.
      3.3.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Comment

Thank you for helping! I live in Sweden and it’s easy to find crickets and roaches here, i’ll order some dubia roaches! Should i dust them with calcium?

One of the geckos are doing great, active, eating and drinking, the other one not so great, very sluggish and no interest in food what so ever. Its very frustrating but i’ll follow your advice and leave the food in his enclosure and hope for the best! Hes also got some stuck shed so that might be stressing him out..

Comment

Update.

One of the geckos sadly passed away. The other one seems to do great, but i'm not very hopeful since she/he is very skinny and fragile.

Comment

Yes, you can dust with calcium at least 1-2 times/week. I'm sorry about your loss. Hopefully the second one will recover and do wonderfully for you!
            Eileen
            TAD "Tiny Ancient Dinosaur" (Crestie), Hidey (Garg), O.G. "Office Gecko" (Bauer's Chameleon gecko), TBD "Tiny Badass Dragon" (Western Bearded Anole), 3.1.0
            Rody Jane (cattledog/stinkwad mix), Dixie Moonpie (rattledog) George P-Dog (lab/Great Pyr) 1.2.0, Ringer (barn cat) 1.0.0

Comment

Working...
            X