Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it ok to keep my male and female cresties together for more than a day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it ok to keep my male and female cresties together for more than a day?

I would really like to keep my male in my female's cage for more then a day, but I was told that they might fight and something about how constant breeding isn't good for the female because of calcium? I know that some people keep breeding pairs together year-round, but I just need an opinion on what to do.
    Sully, Olive, Zephyr, Tucker, Sammi, Suzie

It's not a sure thing that they'll fight, some will live peacefully together, they just have to be monitored. I only keep mine together until I know they've locked and then they go back to their own cages. I prefer not to take unnecessary risk by keeping them together. I think the only positive for keeping them together year round is that it saves space.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Comment

I have kept a number of species male and females together throughout the breeding season when I was breeding, including leopard geckos, gargoyles, and cresties, among others. I find in general that there was rare fighting (and if it occurred, I'd do a temporary separation) and by mid-breeding season the males weren't approaching the females any more for mating.

Aliza

Comment

Working...
      X