Not laying eggs after 60 days of mating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not laying eggs after 60 days of mating

Hi, I'm a bit concerned with my female crested gecko. She hasn't laid eggs in 60 days after the mating occurred, this would be her absolute first time laying eggs, she doesn't look like she is about to explode however one can feel something inside her belly. Should I be concerned for a possible eggbound situation?

Extra information:
    There is a lay box in her enclosure.
    She weights 35 grams. (Tailless)
    She seems rather active.

It is recommended to not breed until the female is 40g 35 is if she has lost her tail. I don't know much about the length of how long they hold the eggs as my little one is 9 grams and I don't have another one. I would say prepare for an Egg Bound situation have the vets number on hand, and monitor her, and be ready to call and go to the vet. I suppose it could also be possible that she's holding longer than normal. Like I said I have yet to experience breeding, length of time for holding the eggs, egg-binding, Etc. I hope this helps as these are things I would do on top of researching the length of time for holding an egg.
    1.2.0 Crested Gecko (Galaxy, Nanner, Haitachi)
    0.1.0 Leopard Gecko (Charley)

Business starting in 2017 Awesome Surprises (facebook only atm) breeding Cresties and Gargs! May breed other reptiles and species in the future but for now just going to collect them all!

Comment

Thanks for the reply, and she is indeed tailless.

Comment

She may not be gravid or have not become gravid until recently. Do you know what eggs feel like or is this your first experience? It may be nothing at all. They will lay eggs in about 30 days after a successful breeding. First time females, that are put in for breeding, may take a few months before they lay their first clutch.

Comment

I witnessed the mating occur. This is my first time breeding yes. I have other female geckos who I'm not breeding nor been with a male and their stomach feels very soft in comparison to this female. It is her first time breeding, the mating happened on the 13th of November but no eggs have been found since then

Comment

Females can often be inconsistent when breeding for the first time.

Just because they did copulate, it does not mean she retained anything from it and, speaking of retention, she could have just retained the sperm in the beginning.

Has she looked and felt gravid for over 30 days?

Comment

Originally posted by Inquisitive View Post
              Females can often be inconsistent when breeding for the first time.

Just because they did copulate, it does not mean she retained anything from it and, speaking of retention, she could have just retained the sperm in the beginning.

Has she looked and felt gravid for over 30 days?
              Currently, she definitely has something round and solid in her belly, I can feel the eggs, it wasn't like this for a while, though, for the first month or so there wasn't much of a real feeling there nor a could one see the eggs through the belly.

Comment

She may have retained the sperm until now then
                I recommend watching her for a while more and making sure she lays them.
                Do not mess with her much or alter her environment. If you do, it could disrupt her and she may retain the eggs longer than she should.
                https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bEBPXE4XxZw

Comment

I think you may just get eggs soon. The first time around with breeding is exciting and makes us anxious... it still happens even after years of doing this. It is good that you are being cautious and asking about it.
                  Some signs of egg binding include being lethargic, loss of appetite and possibly bloating. It is really hard for a new keeper to diagnose.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Tom View Post
                    I think you may just get eggs soon. The first time around with breeding is exciting and makes us anxious... it still happens even after years of doing this. It is good that you are being cautious and asking about it.
                    Some signs of egg binding include being lethargic, loss of appetite and possibly bloating. It is really hard for a new keeper to diagnose.
                    I think so too, I checked her today and her belly felt, even more, solid. Thanks everyone for the responses

Comment

Like Inquisitive said, probably just decided to retain the sperm for a bit as it is her first clutch, she probably is a but confused on what to do, good luck
                      Sam
                      C.Ciliatus 4.1.4.2 E.Macularius 1.2 Lampropeltis getula floridana 0.1 Boa Constrictor Imperator 0.1
                      Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Aryas-Exotics-1841922079418266/
                      Instagram: @sams_exotics

Comment

She finally laid on Saturday successfully. It took her three months and 2 weeks to lay

Comment

I'm concerned about our gargoyle. She has been noticeably carrying eggs for 9-10 weeks. This is her first time. Is this normal?

Comment

Working...
                          X