Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to understand the cooling period in breeder geckos

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Trying to understand the cooling period in breeder geckos

    I've been doing some research on the cooling period for breeding geckos and I came across this on a breeders website. Is this correct?? You withhold food for that long a period of time? I didn't realize that you withhold food at any time. Hopefully the experienced breeders here can clarify this for me.

    "Breeder Crested Geckos should be put through a cooling or cycling period to help stimulate the breeding cycle. Before geckos enter the cooling period it is crucial to completely empty their digestive tracks. During cycling temperatures are lowered to the high 60ís(F) to low 70ís(F) Only water is made available during this period, which should range between four to eight weeks.
    Once the cycling period is over temperatures should be brought back to normal levels and a regular feeding program. As soon as the geckos have acclimatized to the regular temperatures the males can be introduced to the females. A general rule of thumb is that each male can successfully breed up to five females."
    5.4.9 Crested Gecko
    1.1.1 Gargoyle Gecko
    1.0.0 Chahoua Gecko

    Visit My FB page - Candy Box Geckos. Please give it a "LIKE" and mention you stopped by and I will visit your page as well.

  • #2
    Check this out:

    https://www.geckotime.com/gecko-brumation/

    Aliza

    Comment


    • #3
      Aliza, I clicked on this link but it's saying it's not a safe website??
      5.4.9 Crested Gecko
      1.1.1 Gargoyle Gecko
      1.0.0 Chahoua Gecko

      Visit My FB page - Candy Box Geckos. Please give it a "LIKE" and mention you stopped by and I will visit your page as well.

      Comment


      • #4
        No. The geckos still need to eat. They won't be eating as much because the temperature will be a bit lower, so their cold-blooded bodies won't be burning through calories as fast, but it is important to provide food. Females, in particular, may need to gain weight they had lost during egg production, and rebuild their calcium reserves. The cooling period is meant to simulate winter (a tropical winter, but still winter) to replicate the natural cycle that geckos go through in the wild. It's very stressful for the females to be producing eggs all year round. The cooling period gives them a break.

        JB's Cresties produced a good video on cooling.
        3.3.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Treebiscuit View Post
          No. The geckos still need to eat. They won't be eating as much because the temperature will be a bit lower, so their cold-blooded bodies won't be burning through calories as fast, but it is important to provide food. Females, in particular, may need to gain weight they had lost during egg production, and rebuild their calcium reserves. The cooling period is meant to simulate winter (a tropical winter, but still winter) to replicate the natural cycle that geckos go through in the wild. It's very stressful for the females to be producing eggs all year round. The cooling period gives them a break.

          JB's Cresties produced a good video on cooling.
          Thanks for the reply Treebiscuit. I was pretty sure that they still require food during the cooling period. It's a shame what people put on the internet and I'm sure many have read it and didn't question whether or not the info was correct.

          I'm off to check out JB's video. Thanks for the link.
          5.4.9 Crested Gecko
          1.1.1 Gargoyle Gecko
          1.0.0 Chahoua Gecko

          Visit My FB page - Candy Box Geckos. Please give it a "LIKE" and mention you stopped by and I will visit your page as well.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Pugwinkle View Post
            Aliza, I clicked on this link but it's saying it's not a safe website??
            The website is fine. It did it to me yesterday for some reason and wouldn't let me log in but now it's working and you shouldn't get that message.

            Aliza

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by acpart View Post
              The website is fine. It did it to me yesterday for some reason and wouldn't let me log in but now it's working and you shouldn't get that message.

              Aliza
              Nope. Still giving me the unsafe message.
              5.4.9 Crested Gecko
              1.1.1 Gargoyle Gecko
              1.0.0 Chahoua Gecko

              Visit My FB page - Candy Box Geckos. Please give it a "LIKE" and mention you stopped by and I will visit your page as well.

              Comment


              • #8
                Sorry, we're working on it. Try after the weekend.

                Aliza

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by acpart View Post
                  Sorry, we're working on it. Try after the weekend.

                  Aliza
                  Okay, will do.
                  5.4.9 Crested Gecko
                  1.1.1 Gargoyle Gecko
                  1.0.0 Chahoua Gecko

                  Visit My FB page - Candy Box Geckos. Please give it a "LIKE" and mention you stopped by and I will visit your page as well.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X