Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gecko not sticking ?

Hey all I'm new here and just bought a crestie 2 days ago
    Although I've noticed he isn't sticking to surfaces he's relying on his claws a lot,he's eaten some CGD and I seen him walk through it a few times,so I gave him a bath but he still can't stick I've tried multiple surfaces but nothing has worked
    Is he in shed? How can I tell?
    He's a 1 and a half year old male Dalmatian weighing 22 grams (bit skinny I know)
    Help would be much appreciated!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some crested geckos aren't as good at sticking as others. I have two normal sticky geckos and one SUPER muscular non sticky gecko. It can also be he didn't have enough humidity from where you got him before buying him, or he could be about to shed his skin.

One way to tell if he is shedding is looking at him. Is he a little pale? He could also be pale if he's not fired up. Does he feel rough? Crested geckos get rough skin compared to their usual smooth, soft skin, before shedding.
    Follower of Jesus

Comment

Agree ^^^ with Akamaru above.
      I wouldn't be too concerned yet as you haven't had it long enough to know if it is going into shed or what.
      They do need a couple weeks of being left alone when transitioning. Only misting, food and cage maintenance should be the only interruptions for the gecko during this time. It's very stressful for them to change environments.
      Keep a good healthy humidity cycle going. Provide a water bowl in the tank that the gecko can drink from or sit in if he wants to. Just keep it shallow. If it's dehydrated these things will help. The bath most likely cleaned the feet of any debrie. Good luck!

Rachodactylus Ciliatus

MUNKEY, PEACHES, MORROW, THIMBLE, KILI, GOLLUM, FALCOR, CHEECH & VALENTINE

Rachodactylus Auriculatus
      1.2.1 KEKO, ARRO, PEBBLES & FALCOR

Comment

He started drinking water droplets the second I sprayed his enclosure the first day so I'd guess so about the dehydration thing,I haven't seen him do it since but they are nocturnal so I probably just didn't see it,I have no problem if it's just the way he is,I just want to make sure it's not something to do with his health I'm not sure if his skin is pale but it's not rough,I've read somewhere that geckos don't stick for the first few days/weeks? Am I misinformed? Here's a pic of the little guy
        (not fired up)

Comment

You were misinformed about a gecko not being able to stick for some reason for the first whatever-amount-of-time; it has more to do with whatever is stuck to the gecko's feet (food, stuck shed), the gecko's health, and/or whether the surface it's trying to stick to is clean. Not sure what "surfaces" you aren't seeing him be able to stick to, but glass can have a dusty coating on it that can make it hard for the gecko to stick to.

Looks like he's getting along fine on the vine, so I wouldn't worry about it. Leave lil guy alone for a few days to settle in.
          JBsCresties.com & Facebook & Instagram, oh my

Comment

Ok thanks everyone

Comment

I just got geckos recently and they stick to the glass no problem . I guess its just some don't stick as well as others
              1.0.0 Bearded Dragon (Norman)
              0.2.0 Corn Snake (Bubba and Pegasus)
              1.1.0 Crested Gecko (Biscuits and Donut)

Comment

Nevermind he's sticking now

Comment

Good to hear
                  1.0.0 Bearded Dragon (Norman)
                  0.2.0 Corn Snake (Bubba and Pegasus)
                  1.1.0 Crested Gecko (Biscuits and Donut)

Comment

Working...
                  X