Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crestie shuddering

Hi guys

I was trying to handle my crested gecko earlier today, I got him around a week and a half ago and he has been eating and pooping fine. I have been trying to introduce him to handling but he is very resistant to it, won't go on my hand if I try to ease him onto it and will flatten himself close to whatever he's sitting on so I can't scoop him. Today when I tried to handle him one of his arms shuddered and then his head, I was very surprised and immediately let him be and he seems fine now... I haven't seen any mention of this behaviour before, he wasn't wagging his tail or vocalising, is this just a stress thing?
    I figure I should just leave him alone for the time being. Is there anything else health-wise I should be looking for? I don't think he has MBD or anything Are there any tips to handling a resistant crestie? He always seems to be in awkward spots so the hand easing trick of lifting him is really difficult to do...clever little guy. I don't want this to happen again to him though

A week an a half is still pretty early to be handling. Sounds like stress reaction. Leaving be is the best thing for a while yet. Not all Cresties tolerate handling. They are not like a dog, cat or bunny.

Rachodactylus Ciliatus

MUNKEY, PEACHES, MORROW, THIMBLE, KILI, GOLLUM, FALCOR, CHEECH & VALENTINE

Rachodactylus Auriculatus
    1.2.1 KEKO, ARRO, PEBBLES & FALCOR

Comment

Thanks for the reply I tried because it felt like he was settling in, but I will leave it for another good long while before I try again. I'm worried about having to move him for cleaning again, though If he can't be handled it'll be a pity, but I won't force him!

Comment

Cleaning the tank is important. Just make the transfer as easy as possible into a container while cleaning. Don't take more time to handle other then the transfer, maybe weighing.

Rachodactylus Ciliatus

Comment

Yea, I've already cleaned him out once and he didn't enjoy the move but he didn't seem too traumatised by it, I'm just worried that he'll be more defensive and harder to take out easily so as not to stress him now. Thanks for the tips, I definitely won't handle him more than necessary

Comment

He sounded like he just wanted to not be touched mine do it sometimes and I just leave them alone after that, I don't want them to possibly drop their tails.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys

I have left him alone, he is eating fine and is active, hasn't dropped his tail yet (hopefully never will!) I have noticed a condition with him though which is particularly obvious at night time. Since I got him the eye on his left side is more sunken than the right one. It's not reactive to light well unless he's asleep and is usually really dark. It was hard to notice at first because he would always sit with his right side facing the front of the tank. I can't tell if it's hindering him and he seems otherwise healthy, should I take him to the vet?

Comment

My friend had the same thing happen to his gecko, he's full grown now and one eye is a lot larger than the other. It doesn't seem to effect him in any way I think he can still see out of it. It's just something he's probably gonna have to live with. You can ask around but we could never get a clear answer as to why it was like that.

Comment

So uhh,

As it turns out its possible my gecko may actually be a girl! We found a large, oval white thing up in the leaves and haven't moved it but I'm assuming its an egg? I have no idea what to do for her now that she's laid, is there anything in particular I need to do for a female gecko?

Comment

You should start incubating the egg so it doesn't get dehydrated and start to dent. And make sure to keep the egg in the same position as you found it don't let it roll over.

Comment

Originally posted by T-pry View Post
                      You should start incubating the egg so it doesn't get dehydrated and start to dent. And make sure to keep the egg in the same position as you found it don't let it roll over.
                      It had already dented when we found it, she laid it wrapped up in the leaves near her daytime bulb It's definitely an infertile egg, thankfully. I was thinking more of things I should watch out for her health if she's old enough to begin laying infertile eggs.
                      Since we were told she was a boy by the reptile store we didn't have a lay box, but I am getting one for her now.

Comment

That's a good idea. Make sure she doesn't eat just bugs, but a type of CGD aswell so her calcium is ok.
                        Follower of Jesus

Comment

Oh wow, definitely a female. Love how pet stores just throw a gender out there without knowing.
                          Gads, poor girl. I imagine it was quite alarming to discover an egg from a male gecko
                          I have a crested gecko that also came to me as a "male".
                          Yeah, luckily some smart people informed me he was a she before she laid her first infertile eggs .
                          She is now the proud mama of two hatchlings and six more eggs brewing!

The things you can do having a female...

Keep away from males or you will get babies before she is mature enough and put at risk.

Definitely provide a nice lay box, keep it moist, not wet.

Also provide a bottle cap with calcium "without D3", so she can help herself to it when she needs too.
                          Providing the calcium for free range consumption is a good idea when they are producing eggs.

She may lay eggs every month, keep the date in mind so you can maintain the moisture level in her box. If they don't find it moist and welcoming they will find a different place to lay. Or they have
                          been known to hold onto the eggs causing egg binding issues which is very dangerous.

Feeding insects is helpful to maintain the weight they can lose in the laying season. Keep dusting bugs with a calcium containing D3.

You may notice she doesn't eat as much prior to laying, that's normal. It's impossible to say how many clutches of eggs she may lay, they vary.

Enjoy your girl!

Rachodactylus Ciliatus

Comment

We kept the egg in a box with some sphagnum moss just in case since I have no idea if she was kept with breeding males before, I'll use it then for her lay box.

Yea poor girl, I'm so happy she decided to lay in a really weird place. I hate to think about what would happen if she didn't! She was climbing on the ceiling of her tank and eating/pooping as normal so I think she's recovered I thought she was just a really young boy lol. I'll get extra calcium in there for her too!

Comment

Hate to keep reviving this thread haha, but I've got another question.

Since she's big enough we moved our girl onto coco fibre today, but she seems to be having real trouble sticking to things after standing on it. She can no longer stick to the background of the tank and has already fallen after she jumped from a branch

I've never heard mention of coco fibre making it difficult for cresties to climb though, does she just have to get used to it?

She's not in shed as she shed recently, and I gave her a bath before putting her back in her tank and she was sticking fine. As soon as she hit the coco fibre she couldn't stick anymore. I had read in multiple places it was a safe substrate for larger geckos so I'm really confused if I did something wrong!

Comment

Working...
                              X