Is my gecko egg dead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my gecko egg dead?

I've been incubating an egg for 69 days at room temp, and I think it might be dead. I candled it just now and the shell is very very soft in some spots where before it was hard and firm. There is definitely a baby gecko in there but it doesn't even take up half of the egg. It was a bit moist but there was no condensation in the incubator, so I though it could be mold since it was slimy moist, or sweating. I wiped off the egg and put it back, and I'm wondering if it's gone bad. It's being incubated of vermiculite that is moist but not soaked, and the temperature is about 70-78.
    Follower of Jesus

Does the egg have a bad odor? Other then denting and mold that would be a sign of a dead egg. The shells often soften prior to hatching and sometimes get a bit moist. Leave the egg alone unless these other things occur.

Rachodactylus Ciliatus

MUNKEY, PEACHES, MORROW, THIMBLE, KILI, GOLLUM, FALCOR, CHEECH & VALENTINE

Rachodactylus Auriculatus
    1.2.1 KEKO, ARRO, PEBBLES & FALCOR

Comment

Thanks, I'm hoping it may be hatching time. It re-moistened itself. Is that a good sign? I sniffed it and it smells kinda bad, but I can't smell it unless I'm pretty close, like an inch. It doesn't reek or anything, and it hasn't dented. I'm reealy hoping it might hatch, but it only fills about half of the egg when candled.
      Follower of Jesus

Comment

Now it's shrinking. I think it's dead. Do you think I should cut it in the morning.
        Follower of Jesus

Comment

I personally would leave the egg until there is absolutely no chance of life existing within it. What would you like to know by cutting it?
          4.24.0 Crested Geckos
          0.2.0 Leopard Gecko

FB: Geckos by Design

Comment

Originally posted by savannah blue View Post
            I personally would leave the egg until there is absolutely no chance of life existing within it. What would you like to know by cutting it?
            To try and save it, of course. The baby might be dying in the egg, so if I cut it it might have a chance, right?
            Follower of Jesus

Comment

No one can make that decision for you. Its a tough call I've cut open eggs a had both good and bad results. If I think an egg is doomed otherwise, for instance if it has a bad shell and/or the clutch mate dies hatching or the egg is severely shrinking and well over due, then I will cut, its easier for me to know at least I tried if I lose one. I completely understand those who will not cut an egg, its a very personal and very hard decision ..... Best of luck to you and your egg!
              StormyMay Arts and Exotics
              Facebook | Website

Comment

Thanks guys, I think I'll cut it. It's not sweating anymore and hasn't hatched yet, so it's probably dead. I have heard of people being able to save some, and people who say their's would've lived if they had cut the egg earlier.
                Follower of Jesus

Comment

I was gonna try to rescue it, but I still have a nagging feeling it might still be alive and growing, so I'll hold off for maybe a week.
                  Follower of Jesus

Comment

I'm glad you decided to hold off. I would give it more than a week as we all know that incubation can take upwards of 120 days. My personal feeling is that people mess with their eggs way too much. Let nature take it's course. If that gecko was meant to hatch successfully it will do so on it's own . If not, that is what was meant to be. Just my .02 cents.
                    5.4.9 Crested Gecko
                    1.1.1 Gargoyle Gecko
                    1.0.0 Chahoua Gecko

Visit My FB page - Candy Box Geckos. Please give it a "LIKE" and mention you stopped by and I will visit your page as well.

Comment

Yeah, I don't like to move the eggs around much at all, and usually set it and forget it, but now this eggs is acting weird, and it's got me concerned. Hopefully it's normal. I've never had eggs sweat before. Thanks for your .02 cents! It will go to our donation box.
                      Follower of Jesus

Comment

Darn, now it's denting on the top. Ok now I think it's dead.
                        Follower of Jesus

Comment

Pics?

Sent from unknown placesilimlb
                          Crested geckos

https://m.facebook.com/HappyLittleGeckos

Comment

Sure! They are blurry because I can't use my camera very well when it comes to focusing in on objects in the picture, so I'll try to describe it. It is brown from eco earth stains, and has become less wide than before but hasn't shrank a lot, has soft spots that weren't there before and these areas is where it's dented, and when candled the (probably dead) baby takes up about 60% of the egg.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dead Gecko Egg 016.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	1066661Click image for larger version

Name:	Dead Gecko Egg 014.jpg
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	1066662Click image for larger version

ID:	1066662Click image for larger version

ID:	1066662
                            Follower of Jesus

Comment

I definitely would not cut the egg. The dent may be dehydration. You don't want the substrate that it's on to be too wet because the baby inside could get too wet and drown, you just want the substrate to be damp. I'd make sure the substrate hasn't dried out and let nature take its course.
                              Boston Terrier 1.0, Stetson R.I.P. 8/15/2015.
                              Rough Collie (rescued) 1.0, Teddy
                              Crested Geckos 9.11.12
                              Pine Isle Chahoua 1.0.1 Hunter, Cami
                              Leopard Geckos 1.2 Confetti, Snowdrop, & Beauty
                              Bearded Dragon 1.0 Jayden

Comment

Working...
                              X