Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gargoyle dehydrated or beginning of MBD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gargoyle dehydrated or beginning of MBD?

Hey all, so I have a gargoyle gecko and today I noticed his tail was very funky looking. It still feels strong when he grips me with it and he seems overall very healthy to me. He is my most vicious eater when it comes to my cresties or him and he literally downs a cap full the first night I put it in. I usually swap with fresh food every two days, rephasy (which no one touches), and I feed pangea watermelon complete and recently have the new Pangea flavor. When I got this one on 5/24 at Repticon in Baltimore it was only 12 grams and as of today is 24. Temps during the day are between 74-78 also. Please help if anyone has any expirence. Maybe I should keep refilling or give a bigger bottle cap of food? I almost forgot I mist heavily once daily for all my rhacs. I remember one of my little cresties having this same problem so maybe it is dehydration?
    Attached Files

Does he have a water bowl?
    Follower of Jesus

Comment

First, I would take him off the Repashy. Others have been reporting MBD issues on this food for some reason.
      Second, give him a couple good saunas, it can be dehydration and saunas can't hurt.
      Third, keep a shallow dish in his habitat large enough to sit in if he chooses. I use the kidney shaped dishes sold at pet stores for my gargoyles. Only put 1/4 inch of water in it at most. Gargs do like to sit in these.
      Fourth, Do you feed bugs? And if so, are they dusted with a calcium containing D3?
      Good luck! Hopefully it isn't MBD, but if it is you can help him out with calcium therapy.

Rachodactylus Ciliatus

MUNKEY, PEACHES, MORROW, THIMBLE, KILI, GOLLUM, FALCOR, CHEECH & VALENTINE

Rachodactylus Auriculatus
      1.2.1 KEKO, ARRO, PEBBLES & FALCOR

Comment

Yes he does have a Gatorade bottle cap for water. I staple with the Pangea, no one I own really ever eats it when I put in.(rephasy) Lol I will try the idea of shallow water for him and a couple saunas too. He hasn't eaten bugs yet, he is extremely skittish

Comment

Make sure he is hydrated. Maybe mix in a little extra calcium in his food. Sometimes if a gecko gets its tail a little stuck etc will strain it and kink it up temporarily trying to get it free.

Comment

Calcium does not need the D3 when put in food. Hope it clears up for you soon!

Rachodactylus Ciliatus

MUNKEY, PEACHES, MORROW, THIMBLE, KILI, GOLLUM, FALCOR, CHEECH & VALENTINE

Rachodactylus Auriculatus
            1.2.1 KEKO, ARRO, PEBBLES & FALCOR

Comment

Working...
            X