Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paper Towel or Eco Earth for Incubation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spyral
    replied
    I would worry about paper towels not holding moisture evenly, leading to wet patches and dry patches which can make it difficult to the eggshell to adjust to the appropriate amount of hardness. The good thing about the specific media is that they are designed to retain and release moisture on a consistent basis. Shredded paper towel is probably better than nothing, but there are other options. I don't think the type of wood is problematic, as it is relatively safe for hatchlings as an enclosure substrate.

You could try the type of incubators that have plain water on the bottom and fine egg crate/lighting grid to support the egg, but I've heard that crestie eggs roll around pretty easily in these. You could also try using pantyhose to contain the hatching media to avoid ingesting the particles.

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• Akamaru
    replied
    Ingredients:wood pulp, Resin, paper sheets, fibers and the trees that are mainly pine and spruce types that give the best wood. Hmm, would the pine or spruce harm them? I know it can harm snakes, but I haven't heard about Crested Geckos. Also, it's not straight pine, and it's the last ingredient. So far, seems legit.

Leave a comment:

• Akamaru
    replied
    Seems like the shelf liner is a good idea, but I don't have any. The paper towels are working well so far, and the egg seems fine. What might be a consequence is the paper towels might have some chemical in then that gets into the egg. I'll check the ingredients.

Leave a comment:

• Akamaru
    replied
    Aquatic Planting Soil then vermiculite.

Leave a comment:

• InventorReptiles
    replied
    I don't see why it couldn't work. As long as it keeps the humidity up and the egg doesn't become saturated.

Leave a comment:

• Viridis85
    replied
    Put some non-adhesive shelf liner (the kind with small holes) over the vermiculite.

Leave a comment:

• JumpinJewels
    replied
    What have you used in the past for hatchlings?

Leave a comment:

• Akamaru
    replied
    Yeah, I have moss in my other geckos cage, but I could get fresh moss. I was guessing paper towel might work like moss, but I never thought of using moss itself before. Here'a what the shedded damp paper towel is like:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Play and Gecko Eggs 003.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	1066416

Leave a comment:

• JumpinJewels
    replied
    What about moss? Do you have any? I am using super hatch and it's doing great so far.

Leave a comment:

• Akamaru
    started a topic Paper Towel or Eco Earth for Incubation?

Paper Towel or Eco Earth for Incubation?

Could I use crumpled damp paper towels to incubate? I have vermiculite right now, but it's fine grain and I have heard stories of hatchlings eating it and dieing, and around the time the eggs I have are due to hatch I might be away from home, co could I set the egg in some crumpled damps paper towles and incubate them like that? As long as the humidity stays up, I can't seem to find a problem with it...Or maybe Eco Earth. I have Eco Earth. Could I use that? Thanks in advance
Working...
X