MBD & egg bound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MBD & egg bound

I have a female crestie that seems to be egg bound and her calcium is depleted. I feel like a terrible crestie mom b/c I didn't notice some of the earlier signs. Her jaw is affected to the point she can not close her mouth . I can physically feel 2 eggs in her. She is not eating on her own and his lethargic, however fiesty which gives me hope. I have treated mbd years ago (succesfully) in my leopard gecko that a rescued from a bad situation. Sadly I am unable to get this little girl to the vet. So I am doing this on my own. I am in the animal field so I know a lot of stuff and I am in the medical field and can get supplies.

Anyways, I had purchased repashy liquid calcium not realizing I had to mix it to make it. This ends up with a lot of waste and is time consuming. I have been reading which liquid calcium to change to and want to get opinion on best option. I read the Fluker's liquid calcium has a tendency to get too sticky in their mouth. Then I found the exo-terra electrolyte and d3 but I am reading the d3 is not what I need. So I read someplace else good reports on the t-rex bone aid liquid calcium. Would this be the calcium everyone would recommend or do you have something that is better. I will order it next day and have it by tomorrow. If this is the case how much and how frequent should I adminster it b/c I can not seem to find that information online.

I am spoon feeding her repashy she licks it but with her mouth not closing it is difficult I don't want to syringe/force feed her as long as long as she is "willing to eat" she is just having a difficult time. After each feeding I give her a little soak to help her get the food down so it doesn't stay stuck in her mouth, but it is hard b/c I worry about her drowing.

Now the eggs I read that the addition of the calcium will help her lay them but what else could I do to help her lay these eggs. I worry they are already pretty big.

Please let me know about the calcium asap so I can get the order in to get it right away. I am not at home so I can not get pics until later tonight if that is what people want.

Thank you for your help

alright strike that in an attempt to find a place to get the bone aid I see it is discontinued. So which liquid supplement is best please!

Comment

Repashy Rescue Cal is actually the most efficient way to keep calcium on hand, as it will keep indefinitely in the dry state. It doesn't give great directions because it's designed for use along with a vet's consultation. Any other equivalent quality liquid calcium (calcium glubionate, Neo-Calglucon) should also be dosed in consultation with a vet. However, there may be weight charts online to assist in dosing her.

That being said, if you absolutely cannot get vet guidance, you can mix up your "best guess" with little negative impact if you aren't dosing her long term. Mix the powder with warm water as suggested and syringe (no needle) or dropper feed to the gecko. You can mix with food and administer twice a day to ensure she is getting nutrients. Use a UVB light to help with calcium absorption.

Soak her in room temperature (not hot) water for 30 minutes. Make sure the water covers her belly and keep an eye on her so she does not drown. She may dip her head under water but don't let her keep it under too long. She may be very weak from lack of calcium.

Under vet care, I have given properly dosed oral anti-inflammatories and antibiotics and on one occasion injections of oxytocin. If you can find the proper measurements of these medications, it may help but I really discourage use without the advice and guidance of a vet. I can't give qualified medical advice, only pass along information that has helped me in the past.

Good luck!
      Specializing in Crested Geckos
      Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
      Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
      Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

Thank you for your reply. I should have added that I have emailed my vet and he agreed with my method of treatment. I asked him for a dose but he has not gotten back to me bc I am in the animal field we email regulalry. I actually just today got in touch with a friend who is a turtle and reptile rescue. She found a dosage for me that I can do more accurately.

I had gotten the re pashy powder but I wasn't sure if I could make a batch of it and save it since to make it with the correct percentage I need to make more then I need and I hate to waste it. It also like you mentioned doesn't give any dosage. So I was looking for an actual liquid and a proper dosage etc.

I was also looking for the tips for the eggs. I will do the soaks. I did one last night I worry about her drowning as she cant close her mouth. She can move when I hold her she tries to move away but in the water she steamed to panic.I was thinking maybr tonight I'd put a rock in there to put her front legs I. So jist her belly is under water
        any othrr tips or ideas are greatly appreciated. She looks bad and has lost a lot of weight. I am spoon feeding her re pashy everyday so I am cautiously optimistic.

Comment

I am sorry to hear about your girl. With your knowledge she is in better hands then most. If this came about feeding Repashy, I would consider finding another gecko diet for her after all this. Poor girl! Good luck!

Rachodactylus Ciliatus

MUNKEY, PEACHES, MORROW, THIMBLE, KILI, GOLLUM, FALCOR, CHEECH & VALENTINE

Rachodactylus Auriculatus
          1.2.1 KEKO, ARRO, PEBBLES & FALCOR

Comment

Thank you. Yea I'll be honest I'm not overly diligent with the cricket dusting bc all my critters which I have many are adults so I do forget but even still the repashy I always read would be enough. I'm guessing the eggs just really drained her. I honestly feel ok with the mbd I feel I can pull her out of that like I said before I did with my leopard. It I worry about those eggs. I confirmed the dosage my rescue friend found with the vet so I am good with that now. I ordered the flukers bc the calcium from repashy can't be saved once it's made and it is too much waste it will be here today. She dropped a lot of weight so she hasn't eaten well in. While but her sacs r getting better and she still has some fight.

Thank you for your support. I hate I can't swing the vet and that I didn't notice some of the earlier signs.

Comment

MBD can also lead to organ failure, it's much more then just structure... All crested geckos need the assistance with dusting and D3 or they can't digest and absorb the nutrition. Is she pooping?she could even be impacted if eating bugs without dusting.

Rachodactylus Ciliatus

Comment

How is the female doing? A lot of people assume that the bugs don't need dusting, but since most bugs are so unbalanced in the calcium to phosphorus ratio, it leads to a calcium "debt" if they are fed once a week or more without dusting. Otherwise, the body will take away the calcium from bones, as the CGD is not designed to correct the calcium loss of crickets.

Sometimes even geckos on a good commercial diet can develop calcium crashes while breeding or during illness.

Comment

Lesson learned on this one. Ironically the other female and male that she was with is fine but I will be changing my routine.

As for her she is hanging in there. Giving her the oral calcium 2x a day also spoon feeding her re pashy she can lick it but needs help closing her mouth. I also am doing daily soaks. Her calcium sacs are looking better however I dont see much other improvement and she still has the eggs they seem big and firm. I fear it may be too late. I know surgery is possible had it done with a box turtle once. However given her condition. I dont think she would survive it and I hate to say I dont have the money to pay for a procedure like that. I have been in contact with the vet and he agreed with all treatment.so as of now I will continue and see how it goes and then go from there.
                  Thank you for all the help.

Comment

My friend had a gecko in a little better condition than yours (no eggs and her jaw just had a little bit of an underbite) but did not have the expertise or access to supplies that you have. I tried to help but could not do much better. What we ended up doing was donating her to the small animal hospital/school (I live in a college town) for them to treat her as practice for the students. She got much better care there, and while I haven't gotten an update I can assume she was taken care of and is doing ok. Worse comes to worse you could always see if a vet school will take her if you have trouble administering the calcium and what not. Hopefully you will be able to help her recover (as far as I know a gecko can never really be cured of MBD) on your own.

Good luck!
                    Facebook

Comment

Thank you all for the help. Sadly she passed overnight those eggs were pretty big and firm and although the calcium deficiency was improving and she was regaining energy I think those eggs did her in as I had feared. I am also not certain of her age as I got her as an adult and have had her a few years.

I am changing my routine for my other ones and hopefully will never happen again.

Thank you again.

Christina

Comment

So sorry for your loss!
                        1.0.0 R. auriculatus - Quinn
                        1.0.0 C. ciliatus - Good Hank
                        1.0.0 Mutt - Waldo
                        1.2.0 Cats - Oliver, Dharia and Chloe
                        iherp.com/sarahberry

Comment

I'm sorry for your loss.

Comment

Very sad. Wish her dilemma had been found sooner. So sorry...

Rachodactylus Ciliatus

Comment

So sorry. Try not to dwell on it, you are a good care taker of geckos and this was just a bad situation. I'm sure she was really happy she got such a good owner that cared. Are you gonna try to incubate the eggs?
                              Follower of Jesus

Comment

Working...
                              X