Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making a shedding aid? Is there something cheap I could use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a shedding aid? Is there something cheap I could use?

My little guy Faolán is having a lot of trouble shedding, and someone suggested using a shedding aid. I went to the pet store to buy some, and the cheapest was $8 for a tiny bottle of it. Considering Faol will only need a drop or two at most of it, I didn't want to pay so much if there's a cheaper option. The ingredients seemed to have several basic things, so I'm wondering if some of those alone would do the trick? Or do you know of another thing I could use?

The ingredients in the shedding aid I found were:

Water, solubilizing hydrotrope, glycerin, jojoba oil, and vitamin E acetate in an oil base.

Do you think a bit of vitamin E from a vitamin E capsule would help him? Or is that a big no-no?
    What else do you think would be useful?

Any help would be great!
    4.2.4.1.1 Crested Geckos: Lutta , Ghile , Namara , Nyne , Faolán 🌈 😇 , Kalyer , Butterworth Hatchlings: Rooster, Ducky, Sparrow

I think a good option would be to use water and maybe a dab of olive oil. I would worry about him OD'ing on the vitamin E. Jojobo oil is great for humans but I don't know if it's safe for reptiles. You could give him a sauna and put a little olive oil on your fingers and handle him, focusing on the trouble spots. You might want to wipe him off with a paper towel and give him another sauna after a few hours. Just to be safe.
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

Also, is he in a container without rough things to rub against? I've seen my cresties rubbing against rough bark and stones in their cages to help them shed. If the decorations in Faolán's enclosure are all smooth, the lack of rough surfaces may be contributing to the problem.
      3.3.0 Correlophus ciliatus (crested geckos)

Comment

The vitamin E caps are so concentrated and thick I wouldn't put it on a crestie. You could do a sauna with the olive oil recommended above and use a Qtip or gauze pad and massage the little one with it to help slough off stuck shed. Adding stones to rub on themselves.

Rachodactylus Ciliatus

MUNKEY, PEACHES, MORROW, THIMBLE, KILI, GOLLUM, FALCOR, CHEECH & VALENTINE

Rachodactylus Auriculatus
        1.2.1 KEKO, ARRO, PEBBLES & FALCOR

Comment

The ingredient on mine are a bit different, they say: Deionized water, aloe vera, salt, glycerol potassium sorbate sodium benzoate. So maybe you could get some aloe vera or an aloe plant, or find an aloe plant, squeeze out some juice, mix it with water, maybe not salt, but aloe juice/vera and water could do good.
          Follower of Jesus

Comment

Mostly you want to provide hydration internally (by drinking) and externally (soaking) Saunas do both; the oil is just to seal it in superficially. You don't want the skin to stay super-wet either, as this makes the skin more elastic and hard to remove. So don't overdo saunas, once a day is plenty, and give the skin about 15-20 minutes to dry before trying to remove with q-tip or other item.
            Specializing in Crested Geckos
            Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
            Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
            Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

Working...
            X