Skinny?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skinny?

I've had my crested gecko for over a month so it's about 5 months old and he lack of a bulge makes me think it's female. Anyways, does she seem skinny? I've been feeding CGD and I just got a smaller bowl (bottle cap) to make sure she's eating. I'm currently saving up for a gram scale, would a $8 one on amazon be fine? I tried feeding a cricket for the first time since I got her but she didn't even acknowledge it. I'm worried she's not getting enough food and when I move her into big tank I'm scared she won't find the food. Let me know what you think based on the pics I just took. (The pics with toilet paper I took a few minutes ago, the rest are a few days old)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    1.0 Crested | 1.0 bearded pygmy chameleon

in my opinion, I think he/she looks fine If you sees poops then they're eating. P: My little boy Sita was just like that when i first got him and i always knew he was eating cus every time i pick him up (even to this very day) he poops on me within the first 5 minutes. it's annoying but... at least I know he's eating @_@; (he was 7g when i got him back in september of 2013 and he's not 15g as of the 10th of this month with... a very... distinctive bulge)
    Check out my website for helpful info about Crested Geckos, Gargoyle Geckos, Abronia Alligator Lizards, and Brazilian Rainbow Boas
    Sovereign Reptiles

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko || Honey Bear
    1.1.1 Crested Gecko || Malakai, Snapshot, Tiny

Comment

Duh, I always said that when I got worried, at least there's poop. I guess I forgot about poop but why do you think she ignored the cricket, was it because she hadn't had one in over a month. I bought her from Tonys geckos and the guy said she had crickets but I haven't tried feeding cricks until now.

Comment

At 5 grams there is plenty of time to go male yet. I think the gecko looks fine and yah, if there's poop, it's happy.

Rachodactylus Ciliatus

MUNKEY, PEACHES, MORROW, THIMBLE, KILI, GOLLUM, FALCOR, CHEECH & VALENTINE

Rachodactylus Auriculatus
        1.2.1 KEKO, ARRO, PEBBLES & FALCOR

Comment

Some cresties don't like crickets or just decide not to eat them anymore.

Comment

@Jumpinjewels: You mean five 5 months, right? I hope so because I wanted a male.

Comment

They tend to drop their bulge at around 15-20 grams. You have plenty of time for it to 'turn into' a male.
              1.1.6 Crested geckos
              -Alduin-
              -Gidget-
              -Meriadoc--Peregrin--Setsuna--Hotaru--Siren--Naiad-

Comment

Originally posted by qdude46 View Post
                @Jumpinjewels: You mean five 5 months, right? I hope so because I wanted a male.
                Whoops, typo! Yes, you can't say for sure if they are male or female unless they do drop a definite bulge or are 20 grams. I have seen 5 gram guys with the bulge and others no sign until 20 grams. Tricky little critters!

Rachodactylus Ciliatus

MUNKEY, PEACHES, MORROW, THIMBLE, KILI, GOLLUM, FALCOR, CHEECH & VALENTINE

Rachodactylus Auriculatus
                1.2.1 KEKO, ARRO, PEBBLES & FALCOR

Comment

At 5 months, you probably have a wait ahead to confirm gender. Most 5 month olds are under 10-15g. I've had a very late bloomer who dropped a bulge over 25g. Never thought to check for pores, so he may have had them at that size, not sure.
                  Specializing in Crested Geckos
                  Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
                  Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
                  Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

I don't have a loupe for pores so I'll just wait for a few more months.

Comment

My mom just surprised with a gram scale and I weighed s/he and it was 5.1g, I know there is no exact weight for cresties at five months but that seems healthy right?

Comment

Yeah, if you average about a gram a month for the first year or so that's good growth!
                        Specializing in Crested Geckos
                        Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
                        Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
                        Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

Working...
                        X