No announcement yet.

Shed constricted tail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In my experience, stuck shed can be due to too much or too little humidity and housing siblings together for too long. Keeping water bowls in the enclosure and separating at around 2 months keeps problems down. If you are seeing problems especially on tails, I would assume it's more likely from nipping. Bad sheds typically show up on toes and legs and bits on the head.

I've also had some really gnarly tail attacks on males from females when together from breeding. I put very diluted chlorhexidine on them and they healed very well, very quickly. The really bad ends turned black, shriveled and fell off. I'm not advocating no vet care, just sharing my experience with tail wounds. You should not attempt to remove the bit of tail yourself.

If you feel you must remove the tail to stop yourself from worrying, you can try getting a washcloth and covering the tail and then placing a heavy book on it. The pressure and feeling of being trapped may make your crestie drop the tail. This has been reported as being the best way to remove it, and not by yanking or twisting. I've never forced a tail drop so I can't share any personal experiences.
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Spyral View Post
      In my experience, stuck shed can be due to too much or too little humidity and housing siblings together for too long. Keeping water bowls in the enclosure and separating at around 2 months keeps problems down. If you are seeing problems especially on tails, I would assume it's more likely from nipping. Bad sheds typically show up on toes and legs and bits on the head.

I've also had some really gnarly tail attacks on males from females when together from breeding. I put very diluted chlorhexidine on them and they healed very well, very quickly. The really bad ends turned black, shriveled and fell off. I'm not advocating no vet care, just sharing my experience with tail wounds. You should not attempt to remove the bit of tail yourself.

If you feel you must remove the tail to stop yourself from worrying, you can try getting a washcloth and covering the tail and then placing a heavy book on it. The pressure and feeling of being trapped may make your crestie drop the tail. This has been reported as being the best way to remove it, and not by yanking or twisting. I've never forced a tail drop so I can't share any personal experiences.
      Thanks! If all else fails, and I feel it is the best thing to do, I will use the "book way" to remove the tail.
      Mary Frizzell
      Check out my Facebook page at "Good Luck Geckos"

Comment

Chlorhexidine is a good one to use to clean the areas. It is also in one of the creams that is most used for small wounds in animals. Another cream contain silver sulfadiazine.

The tip of the tail where the would is certainly looks like dead tissue, at least part of the way through. Its a small portion but if the ring of skin is still around the constricted area, there won't be much you'll be able to do for that tip. The rest of the tail looks normal though and likely saveable. I agree with Spyral on the cleaning and then waiting for the tip to fall off. That would prevent you from having to force a tail drop, especially since I've seen quite a few geckos on the forums who have lost a tail tip somehow. Same for geckos with missing toes. That tends to happen on its own to and the rest of the toe stays quite nice.

I tend to cringe with the polysporin because all of the newer ones out there contain lidocaine which could reach toxic doses in reptiles. Reptiles have such a slow metabolism that they tend to build up the levels of drugs in their system if its used daily. I was just on the polysporin website and unfortunately even their basic one has lidocaine in it. I'd personally avoid using those. I have heard some say it is safe with just the plain polysporin and I'm going to poke around at work to see what the vets know about it (now that the bug is in my ear about it :P)
        1.0.1 Crested Gecko (Auryon & Hera)
        0.1.0 Irian Jaya Carpet Python (Serenity)

Comment

I must have an older version of polysporin as mine does not contain lidocaine. Sorry if I confused you. I looked at the website and found the opthalmic version contains the same ingredients as mine and no lidocaine. It was suggested to me by another hobbyist. I have found some use it on snakes without issue. If anyone has concerns about applications of meds, might I suggest some research first before using it so you are completely comfortable treating your little ones.
          Last edited by savannah blue; 12-21-2013, 12:03 PM. Reason: Adding information
          4.24.0 Crested Geckos
          0.2.0 Leopard Gecko

FB: Geckos by Design

Comment

I already used it, the tip of the tail is almost positively going to come off, it has gotten thin between the tip and the rest of the tail. However, I think that the polysporin is helping it seal off at the unhealthy part so that the rest of the tail stays healthy. As for the other one, the necrotic hasn't fallen off yet, but both seem otherwise fine and healthy, I saw one of them eat last night. Thanks for all of your help!
            Mary Frizzell

Comment

Great news!!! Time will heal the other tail. Glad to hear your little ones are doing well!!
              4.24.0 Crested Geckos
              0.2.0 Leopard Gecko

Comment

Late update, but these two's tails have healed up perfectly and both are completely healthy. Yay!
                Mary Frizzell

Comment

Thanks for the update. I wondered about the outcome of it. So very glad things worked out perfectly!!!
                  4.24.0 Crested Geckos
                  0.2.0 Leopard Gecko

Comment

Working...
                  X