Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twinkletoes24
    replied
    This is a late update on my gecko. I have now got an egg that is hatching but I think is very under developed. It proves my theory that crested geckos can produce fertile eggs as she still has never been near a male. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	1066715

Leave a comment:

• ConanTheKing
    replied
    This is very interesting, however I have heard that females can "harvest" sperm to use at a later date, maybe there was one occasion she did this if both geckos used to live together?

Part of me hopes this genuinely is parthenogenetic as I think it would be badass if my little girl laid a clone of herself, I got a spare terrarium so it is no trouble at all. Grats.

Originally posted by Twinkletoes24 View Post
    I have an egg in incubation at the mo that my cresty Pascal laid two weeks ago. I got her last July and she was the only crested gecko in the shop, housed on her own. I'm new to this and really only got her as a pet.

She was 6g when I got her and is now 29g, and is still my only one. (For the time being)
    The egg has a large round red vein in it and is getting darker around the edges. I've never done incubating etc, but compared to the second empty dented egg she laid this one is perfect.
    I hope your little one goes from strength to strength.
    Keep us updated!

Leave a comment:

• LeslyErin86
    replied
    You are right, they were thought to be extinct infill not even 20 yrs ago, so there is a lot we don't know about them. That's why I want to try to get a schools biology lab to sponsor my gecko to get some tests done. I think thatd be awesome!

Leave a comment:

• Akamaru
    replied
    I heard crested geckos were thought to be extinct until 1994. Maybe they brought their population back by doing this parthenogenic stuff. I agree, crested geckos are understudied.

Leave a comment:

• insane1818
    replied
    Keep us posted on how it goes, I currently have an egg I'm incubating from my garg who has never been with a male. Looking fwd to seeing if mine hatches too.

Leave a comment:

• LeslyErin86
    replied
    Brian... The baby has not one attribute from dad which either could be bc its been so long or just bc its not his... But all signs are saying its not his... So idk guess well see more with proggression.

Leave a comment:

• Sarah Fast
    replied
    Wow that is neat! Please keep us updated!

Leave a comment:

• Twinkletoes24
    replied
    I have an egg in incubation at the mo that my cresty Pascal laid two weeks ago. I got her last July and she was the only crested gecko in the shop, housed on her own. I'm new to this and really only got her as a pet.

She was 6g when I got her and is now 29g, and is still my only one. (For the time being)
    The egg has a large round red vein in it and is getting darker around the edges. I've never done incubating etc, but compared to the second empty dented egg she laid this one is perfect.
    I hope your little one goes from strength to strength.

Leave a comment:

• AltitudeExotics
    replied
    It's possible the male she was housed with was the father, but also possible not. I had a girl who was housed alone her entire life lay a fertile egg. It died a few weeks away from hatching, and when I cut it open sure enough there was a (dead) baby inside.

Leave a comment:

• SwiftArrowGECKO
    replied
    Wow. I've heard of this happening but never seen it. Save that pic of her and blow it up a bit so when the hatchling gets to 3g we can see a side by side comparison

Leave a comment:

• LeslyErin86
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	randi_baby.jpg
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	1061386
    this is the youngest picture i can find of randi when she was probably about 3gr

Click image for larger version

Name:	randi_clone.jpg
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	1061387
    this is the hatchling only weighing in at 1.3 gr. all my babies usually hatch out between 1.8 & 2.2 gr so this is very small... the egg itself was smaller than all the others from the very start... another reason to believe its a parthenogenisis or however you spell it. really hope this little one makes it. no deformities so far that i can see. pretty stoked!! tomorrow i'll try to post a pic of randi NOW. have a good night everyone!!

Lesly

Leave a comment:

• LeslyErin86
    started a topic parthenogenic crested gecko!!

parthenogenic crested gecko!!

Ok so here is my story... My female Randi (thought she was gonna be male lol) laid an egg about 3 months ago & hadn't been with a male so I just thought it was a dud but saved it just incase. I noticed it growing but just figured it was the egg nutrients growing bc it did not look like a normal candles egg & was smaller than all my other. Tonight I came home & it was hatched... Looks to be an exact clone of mommy from.when she was that young. So I'm obviously trying to.figure out if she could have been with a male...

When I got her from a fellow breede friend she was tiny at 2 gr & housed alone. I brought her home & but her with my now male crestie, voldemort who is a lavender & orange full pin with latterals. They were house together up until about 18 months ago when randi got a little bigger than voldy & started nipping his tail so I seperated them. When I seperated them, voldy was only 3.4 gr & randi was almost 5gr. Voldy is still only 21 gr being my slowest growing crestie EVER!!! so I thought maybe the did it then but even that is unlikely being that she was bullying him so how could he have even gotten close enough? & even if so could she really retain sperm for that long? It could have been over 18 months ago but I don't remember the exact date & I hadn't started breeding yet. Plus, if it some how was voldys, it has not one single attribute from him at all. This little gecko is already clearly red & looks just like mommy did had her age. Im sure I can even find a picture or two. She has NEVER even been in.contact with a male since then not through cleaning or feeding or anything. Randi is ly lost jumpy gecko so she's always got to be watched while cleaning so I can't watch more than one gecko at a time lol. Could it have been sperm from me holding a male then her? Doubtful. I have a bottle if hand sanitizer on the shelf by the cages I use betweeen handling to be safe so I don't ever have a possibility of passing anything.

I'm think this is super awesome & I pray this baby survives. If she does, I plan to do some
    DNA testing to be.positive. ill take pics now & put them in the comments I'd love to here some feedback!!
Working...
X