No announcement yet.

Bug bomb in reptile room advice please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bug bomb in reptile room advice please!

Hey everyone so my boyfriends dogs have had a sudden outbreak of fleas. My boyfriend has a room in the back of his parents house which we spend most of our time in and in which we keep the majority of our reptiles in. The dogs are usually in his room in a crate at night but since the fleas came and it's gotten warmer they've been sleeping outside at night.

Anyway his room we think still has fleas in it and were planning on doing a bug bomb to get rid of them. My question to you guys is should I remove the geckos cages from the room during the bug bomb or can I leave the cages in the room and just cover them so they don't get the chemicals in them. The geckos will be removed from the room of course but I'm just concerned about the cages. We have 2 of the larger Exo Terra's one is planted and VERY heavy so we really don't want to have to move them out of the room. I know with the bug bombs after 24 hours the chemicals are gone and wear off so I'm not sure if it would kill the plants in the cages or what. Also I'm not sure if it would be safe for the geckos to go back in after the bug bombs chemicals are gone. Please let me know if you have any experience in this or know of any good bug bombs that won't be too harmful to us and our geckos after they've been cleared out! Thanks!
    <3 Rachel (Kiwi Geckos)
    My iherp
    Bunches of critters.

That seems extreme. If you use GOOD flea preventative on the dogs (something like comfortis, from your vet), vacuum the room, wash the linens, etc and put the dogs in the room, the problem should take care of itself because any fleas left will get on the dogs and die.
    Crested geckos, sikorae, tokay, flying geckos, axolotl
    https://m.facebook.com/Gexolotl?ref=bookmark

Comment

We've already treated the dogs and tried that. The fleas are still around. Not in extreme amounts but they're here and the dogs no longer have fleas. So I so need to bug bomb the room to get them out of our couch and out from under the bed.
      <3 Rachel (Kiwi Geckos)
      My iherp
      Bunches of critters.

Comment

Originally posted by xxrach View Post
        We've already treated the dogs and tried that. The fleas are still around. Not in extreme amounts but they're here and the dogs no longer have fleas. So I so need to bug bomb the room to get them out of our couch and out from under the bed.
        There are several methods of getting rid of pest insects that don't require a bug bomb. Sprinkle Diatomaceous Earth onto the rug, couch, etc. Vacuum up every day or two. Put a flea collar in the vacuum bag and anything that gets sucked up will perish in the bag.

But if you do the bug bomb route, I'd suggest removing every animal. With fish, you can generally turn off the filter and cover the tank really well with plastic and it's usually fine. But animals with lungs should really be removed from the room.
        Stickyfoot Dragons on Facebook

“You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals.”
        -Paul McCartney

Comment

I have to admit embarrassingly so. We went two months without flea treatment on our three dogs, just plain forget and got nailed with fleas last year. We DID NOT BOMB. We used Frontline on all three dogs and the three indoor cats and it took about 9 months to get rid of them. We threw away all dog beds and like the above poster vacuumed every day, bed and whatnot. I think our helpful part is that we have hardwood floors throughout. It took a long time but I was just not willing to bomb my house. We did use the Diatomaceous Earth as well as it is all natural for the basement carpet. We also fleas combed everyone four times a week. It was a lot of work and a long wait but in time we beat those fleas. Lesson learned from me: watch the calendar better.
          Sharlene
          http://www.epicgeckos.com
          Facebook link http://www.facebook.com/EpicGeckos

Comment

I'd have to agree with everyone in saying to not use the bug bomb. The problem with 'bug bombs' is that it only usually kills the adult and larval stages of the flea, the other two stages (pupae and egg) are unharmed by the bugbomb. Pick up some frontline from your veterinarian and get enough to treat all the animals in the house for 3 months which is the minimum amount of time it will take to break the entire life cycle. The pupae form of the flea is pretty much impossible to kill which is why you have to continue using the frontline every month to continue to kill the other forms of the flea. Like other posters said vacuum every day if possible and wash the linen and dog beds regularly. Fleas suck but the bug bomb, unfortunately, is not the best answer to the problem. :/ Personally I wouldn't risk using a bug bomb. If you do decide that you absolutely are going to use a bug bomb I would remove the geckos and seal up the cages as best as possible. Also check the ingredients of the bug bomb...some are more toxic and unsafe than others.
            0.2.0 Canines: Remington, Gambit
            0.2.0 Cresties Winchester, Ferdinand

Comment

The dogs and the stray cat that lives outside are all being treated with frontline so I guess we can just wait it out. The room is quite small so being able to vacuum under the bed and the couch is very difficult. Thankfully we have wood floor but were pretty sure they're living in our couch and the bed /:
              <3 Rachel (Kiwi Geckos)
              My iherp
              Bunches of critters.

Comment

You might try comfortis, or activyl if you can get it. Otherwise, I agree with the other posters that frontline can take about 3 months to get a good hold on it.
                Crested geckos, sikorae, tokay, flying geckos, axolotl
                https://m.facebook.com/Gexolotl?ref=bookmark

Comment

When I had a flea outbreak in my old cabin, Comfortis really helped. Within about 30 minutes tons of dead fleas were dropping off my pup and she was just a walking flea magnet of death. I also put baking soda on the carpet and vaccumed daily for a couple weeks. Since then, Gerdie gets a monthly dose of comfortis at flea time.
                  1♂ 1♀ 6? Crested Gecko; 1♂ Eastern Kingsnake; 1♀ Western Hognose Snake; 1♀ mutt hound dog, Gerdie; 3 Lepidodactylus lugubris

Comment

Agreeing with do not use the bomb.

Fleas are always a war, not just a battle. It will take several months of treatments to completely get rid of them (because of their lifecycle and all the nooks and crannies inside your home for hiding in)
                    Treat the dogs with a topical or internal medication approved by your vet, as well as any other pets in your house (even indoor cats)
                    wash all linens you can. If you can shampoo any carpet you have, and also vacuum all floors including hardwood (they can hide inside the cracks of hardwood floors too!) Flea collars are useless for putting on pets, but you stick one inside the vacuum canister/bag to kill fleas inside there.

Flea combs. It is tedious, but when I moved into a new house that unbeknownst to me had a massive flea infestation, I went over my (small) dogs with a flea comb every day. If your dogs are bigger it's harder to go over their whole body, but it still could help if you go over their favorite areas on the dog (I find right above the base of tail and around that area, the neck/throat/ears, and any underarms.)
                    www.Gracious Geckos.com
                    Specializing in (but not limited to) R. auriculatus!
                    Facebook!

Comment

ok so ill be getting my hands on some comfortis to use with the frontline they already have on them and we won't do a bug bomb. We bought some Adams plus flea spray that our vet reccomended so were gonna see how that works. We used to foster kittens at my moms house years ago and they'd always come in with fleas and I never remember them being this bad!! Haha I guess it's just going to be a long battle my boyfriend and I will have to fight thanks for all your advice everyone!
                      <3 Rachel (Kiwi Geckos)
                      My iherp
                      Bunches of critters.

Comment

I am a firm believer in vacuum, vacuum, vacuum! When we moved into our new house last summer, it was infested with fleas, and all five cats, and 2 dogs were covered. We did a very strict schedule of vacuuming EVERY DAY (in the basement it was the worst, so sometimes twice a day) (a shop vac will be your friend! More powerful than a typical vacuum cleaner, and the hose is great), flea combing all the animals daily whenever possible, giving a bath, then waiting two or three days before applying Advantix/Advantage (which we used every three weeks rather than every month). We used diatomaceous earth in the basement, (WONDERFUL product) and we were flea free in three months. It sounds severe, but to really get rid of the problem, and do it without causing any potential health issues in the long run (I refuse to use any kind of bug bomb or chemical bug spray in the house), daily vacuuming and combing etc is your best bet. I hated even using the Advantix/Advantage, but the natural stuff we were using wasn't cutting it with the number of fleas this house had *shivers*. HOWEVER, the natural stuff is working very well to prevent fleas/ticks from hoping on now that there aren't any in the house

Also, wash dog bedding daily, vacuum the sofa, under couchins, etc....fleas jump on the pet to feed, then typically jump off to lay their eggs, and actually the vacuuming helps the eggs hatch (which you want, because then the fleas are easier to suck up/will die off from the flea treatment on the dogs!) And don't give up after a week or two, their life cycle is longer than that, so it'll be a few months at the minimum (we gradually reduced the amount of vacuuming we were doing to just every other day, and they still were taken care of) And remember, if the fleas are jumping on YOU it's a good thing...it means they are starving because their usual host (the dog) isn't appetizing anymore

Good luck!
                        previously known as hermansmama

Comment

Ah yes, I forgot to mention washing the sheets/drapes/cushion covers and just about everything you can constantly on the hottest cycle. When puppy Gert had fleas she would jump in the bed and drop flea dirt everywhere... which would actually made little blood spots on my sheets. I lived in a one-room log cabin in TN built in the 30s, so it got crazy humid in the summer. The flea dirt would just... absorb moisture and make those spots. Gross!
                          Flea baths absolutely did not work. It killed some, but others would just run around on the dog to places I couldn't get to. And I couldn't get water in her ears, cause that just risks an ear infection.

I don't think there is a comfortis product for cats, unless it just came out.
                          1♂ 1♀ 6? Crested Gecko; 1♂ Eastern Kingsnake; 1♀ Western Hognose Snake; 1♀ mutt hound dog, Gerdie; 3 Lepidodactylus lugubris

Comment

Have you tried dietamacious earth? All natural and safe and repels fleas and other bugs home depot has it called insect dust :-)
                            4.4.5 Cresteds
                            0.1.0 HuskyX Allie
                            1.0.0 Thoroughbred Bailey
                            0.1.0 Blizzard Corn Snake Eclipse

My iherp page

Comment

It's an old thread, but I hope you didn't flea bomb your house. I did it once and it killed all my plants in the house. Yeah, I know, silly me.
                              "Animals are such agreeable friends―they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."

Comment

Working...
                              X