In Need Of HELP/ADVICE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Need Of HELP/ADVICE

Well I am coming to you guys for help, advice, on the whole breeding eggs and hatching. Last year was out first year ever breeding anything. We paired up Clay ( first year to breeding) and Spot in Sept. we separated them and the start of Oct. Clay laid 2 eggs in Oct. and then 2 eggs in Nov. the first week 1 egg caved in. then that was the end of the eggs from her. on Jan 11th one of the Oct eggs hatched the other one never did. and then Jan 25 the Nov egg hatched. and now as of today both have passed on. Monday 1/11 (GC) then today 1/25 (Mo).

so my questions are:
    1. Do some normally die after being hatched?
    2. Im sure our temps were way to high for them, what temps do you use and how do you keep it constant?
    We had ours in our lizard room and the incubator held the humidity and heat way to well..temps reached 85 F.
    3. Where do you keep your eggs??
    4. What hatch material do you use?
    We used perilite but just bought some hatch rite
    5. Once the eggs hatch will the just eat on their own or do you hand feed them?
    6. Explain a healthy hatchling?? Behavior, feeding?

Thanks for looking and your help would be greatly appreciated.
    Mom and Dad of:
    3 dogs, 1 cat, 5 bearded dragons, 2 sugar gliders, and 11 crested geckos

High temps are bad for eggs and can cause issues with incubation. I try to keep my eggs no warmer at any time than 75 F. Keep in mind that not only are New Caledonian temps pretty regularly under 80, but also that eggs are laid a couple of inches under soil, where the temps won't fluctuate much and they will be cooler anyway. You will need to figure out somewhere you can keep your eggs, whether it's a cooler room, or a cooling incubator.

Don't hand-feed them unless there's something physically wrong with the gecko, and even then some people would prefer to let nature take its course. It is incredibly easy to get a gecko to asphyxiate on its food if you try to hand-feed it, especially the tiny hatchlings. They often don't even eat until the first week or so has gone by, as they are still living off of the nutrients they had in the egg, and one of the first things they do is swallow a shed. Too many new people panic and try to hand-feed the animals when they don't need to be hand-fed.

Hatchrite is essentially just perlite with moisture pre-added. If you wanted to change things up I would have gone with aquatic planting soil/SuperHatch, but really perlite is fairly safe to use as long as you're not letting the eggs dry out.

Behavior for healthy hatchlings is pretty much the same as a healthy adult... they are self-sufficient out of the egg.

Your dates may be a little off or you've copied/pasted this from somewhere, as you said today is 1/25. How long did the geckos actually live and did you attempt to hand-feed them? What were the temps of the room you kept them in post-hatch?
    JBsCresties.com & Facebook & Instagram, oh my

Comment

sorry about the confusion on the dates. the second egg hatched on the 26th of jan and jus died today. the first gecko to hatch lived a lil less than a month and the second one only lived about two weeks as we stated the babies have been kept in our lizard room which has temps that go from about 75 to 80 during the day and around 65 to 70 at night during winter months. we did not attempt to hand feed them. i believe the main problem we might of had were temps during incubation and fact that geckos where only in egg from about 65 to 75 days. as we said we r jus getting started and i know we have made some rookie mistakes but have talked to breeders at some local shows and have learned what not to do from now on. we are just trying to get everything else in line so we dont have problems in the future. thank you for your help
      Mom and Dad of:

Comment

sorry about the confusion on the dates. the second egg hatched on the 26th of jan and jus died today. the first gecko to hatch lived a lil less than a month and the second one only lived about two weeks as we stated the babies have been kept in our lizard room which has temps that go from about 75 to 80 during the day and around 65 to 70 at night during winter months. we did not attempt to hand feed them. i believe the main problem we might of had were temps during incubation and fact that geckos where only in egg from about 65 to 75 days. as we said we r jus getting started and i know we have made some rookie mistakes but have talked to breeders at some local shows and have learned what not to do from now on. we are just trying to get everything else in line so we dont have problems in the future. thank you for your help
        Mom and Dad of:

Comment

Keep in mind also the humidity level; you don't want offspring kept soggy 24/7 as it can cause skin infections, but you also don't want them completely drying out (which can happen easily in winter months when our heaters are running all the time). That's been a big one this season and I have a few acquaintances who've lost geckos to dry air.
          JBsCresties.com & Facebook & Instagram, oh my

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about your losses and wish you better luck next season with the help of the forum!
            Last edited by MissBubbles; 02-07-2013, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X