Distinguishing eggs laid by groups of females

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distinguishing eggs laid by groups of females

So, I have a quick question. I am researching more and more about breeding as of late and I am curious as to how you distinguish whose eggs are whose when you have a breeding group. Say I have two females and one male in an enclosure and the male makes woopie with both females around the same time. If I only have one lay box, how do I distinguish whose eggs are whose? Is there a way around this without separating the two females? What are your tricks?
    https://www.facebook.com/AdhesiveArboreals

This is one of the reasons I house all my cresteds singly. I tried housing two breeding females once, and the only way to be sure is to check them frequently and hope they don't lay on the same night. Since so many people like being able to see the parents of the geckos they buy, its just easier for me too keep everyone separated so I know who is who.

How I did it was weigh the females regularly and keep track of their weights, and check the layboxes frequently for eggs. Its pretty obvious who lays if you only find one pair of eggs and one female has suddenly dropped a few grams in weight and looks skinnier. It helps of the females are different in morph and color in case the eggs do get mixed up, because you can get a better idea when the eggs hatch, but that's not foolproof.
    Always check the Fauna BOI before you buy!
    :: iHerp :: Template Reptiles :: Canine Habits ::

Template Reptiles on Facebook

Comment

You can't. And the neat thing is, when the boy is put with them, often they will lay at the same time. I have had whole groups that laid with in three days of each other, many of the same day. Only way to tell for sure, is to keep the girls appart
      Roxanne
      and the zoo
      www.geckoluv.com

Comment

Originally posted by rubberduckey273 View Post
        This is one of the reasons I house all my cresteds singly. I tried housing two breeding females once, and the only way to be sure is to check them frequently and hope they don't lay on the same night. Since so many people like being able to see the parents of the geckos they buy, its just easier for me too keep everyone separated so I know who is who.
        I have a trio of girls housed together last year but I separated them this year (no bullying, I just wanted them housed singly) and one night last summer I went into the gecko room to find two of the girls laying eggs at the same time in the lay box! One pair were duds, one pair were fertile. I just thought it was amusing that they both decided to take up the same real estate at the exact same time LOL! If I hadn't walked in right then, I would have been unsure who the eggs belonged to.
        Stickyfoot Dragons on Facebook

“You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals.”
        -Paul McCartney

Comment

Normally mine lay eggs at least a few days apart. Typically you will see one girl hanging out digging in the lay box for a few days before you find eggs. It is not uncommon to actually see them lay the eggs. If you are unsure check to see if a girl looks deflated once you find eggs. If this doesn't work my girls usually lay in order of each other but this only works if you keep what I like to call an "egg book". For example: River laid on the 5th, Amy laid on the 12th, and someone laid on the 27 but I didn't actually see it happen but it must have been Emma. Then next month you can expect River to lay first, Amy second and Emma third. The pattern typically repeats until the end of the season when girls start shutting down.
          www.incrediblegeckos.com
          https://www.facebook.com/incrediblegeckos

Comment

Last year I kept extremely detailed records and weighed my girls daily to monitor for laying (they drop weight). Worked pretty well, but by the end of the season it was a LOT of work to monitor girls that closely (with as many girls as I had going, plus moving, etc) so this year I'm keeping most of my girls individually just to make my life easier. Also- cages don't have to be cleaned quite as frequently with only one gecko in them vs three or four lol

Comment

Working...
            X