Teach me the ways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teach me the ways

So me and a buddy of mine are thinking about breeding our geckos, not any time soon but we've been talking about it and I just really want to do the best I can do to make sure everything is done 100% correct, he has 3 females and Im almost positive I have 1 male and 1 female does anyone have any advice for someone thats just starting? thank you in advance!
    0.0.2 Crested gecko

The number one thing you can do is Research!!! Read everything you can find and figure out the best path from there. There is a lot of faulty info out there (you build a BS detector over time ), but one of the best places to start out is to look through websites of established breeders like JB (http://www.jbscresties.com/), they will have very helpful information.

There are several good books out there (Amazon is a great place to find some) that have sections on breeding.

Go forth and read!
    2.2.4.4 Crested Gecko ( Panchi, Cobar, Jodhaa, Mocha, Poe, Durc, Tivonan, & Stelona.)
    0.1 Leopard Gecko ( Mehndi )
    1.0 Tokay Gecko ( Ralphie )
    2.0 Dogs ( Mel, Buck )
    0.4 Cats ( Koyo, Lupin, Hope, Flop-Tail )

Comment

Read all you can. Don't breed less than 35 grams. Don't use baby food. Don't cut eggs. Always incubate eggs no matter how bad they look initially. Other than that just make sure you have a male and female and a lay box.
      www.incrediblegeckos.com
      https://www.facebook.com/incrediblegeckos

Comment

Originally posted by Incredible Geckos View Post
        Read all you can. Don't breed less than 35 grams. Don't use baby food. Don't cut eggs. Always incubate eggs no matter how bad they look initially. Other than that just make sure you have a male and female and a lay box.
        And make sure you have room for ALL of those babies (housed individually)! Each female can lay more than a dozen eggs each season.
        Stickyfoot Dragons on Facebook

“You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals.”
        -Paul McCartney

Comment

I have plenty of room! small tubs or KK's and ill be turning my closet into a controlled temperature space.
          0.0.2 Crested gecko

Comment

I always advise folks to have a plan on what you want to breed. Just because you have a male and female, is that going to produce animals that you like? If you like really flashy, high-contrast extreme patterned geckos, you likely won't produce them with a more plain pair. If you don't mind what they look like and want to keep them even if you can't sell/re-home the offspring, go for it! I just throw that out there because there isn't really a shortage of geckos out there and many are given away by breeders who need space and it's a very competitive marketplace.
            Specializing in Crested Geckos
            Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
            Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
            Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

Research is your best friend, make sure you have emergency funds in case (heaven forbid) something goes wrong, I like to advise people to make the GBB (Gecko Breeding Binder) which is a Binder with a few blank pages for notes, pages that have forms on them that state something along the lines of : "This Gecko was bred to This Gecko on This date eggs found on this day this day and this day etc.", also a form with Hatchlings hatchdates, parents etc.. Helps you keep track of everything.
              0.1.0 Leopard Gecko[Hermes]
              1.0.0 Dog [Bert]

Comment

I agree with having a goal in mind, not every gecko is a quality breeder- of course that is all in the eye of the beholder! If you think you have the quality of gecko you want to produce then read, read, read. You'll be ready.
                http://www.mlmreptiles.com . http://www.iherp.com/MLMReptiles

Comment

Wow thank you guys! The book is a great idea I already do something similar on my phones note pad but if I have more geckos it would just be easier and more efficient to have a binder! And I am in love with my males patterns and two out four of the females are amazing! Not any where close to breeding weights but once they are I know they could make some beautiful younglings
                  0.0.2 Crested gecko

Comment

I did Google searches and looked at forums pertaining to the species I wanted to keep and breed for at least 6 months prior to buying a gecko. In the long run I used my best judgement on all the info I collected. I also bought a young/small hatchling (1-2g) and did a test run with just one instead of handfuls. Once you start its not that bad but you must remember it takes a lot of time to take good care of a lot animals. This is often over looked. Once you start breeding more than two females you will see how fast the babies start to build up. Most of my free time when home is spent tending to geckos (I work full time). It's a big commitment.
                    Thank You! -
                    I have a lot of geckos......... I stopped counting.
                    http://www.geckodome.com

Comment

Working...
                    X