vet and myself puzzled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vet and myself puzzled

]I have a male gecko Spore who is confusing both myself and my vet. His weights have been steadily climbing ( Oct 8th= 25.3g, Nov 19th = 28.6g, Jan 22 = 29.6g). His weight did get up to 30g on October 28th then dropped again. He's kept alone in a zoo med 12x12x18 with paper towel on bottom and some fake foliage etc and some bamboo. He gets cgd three times a week and crickets once a week dusted with calcium. His poops are normal, fecal was also done with everything ok. I've caught him eating his cgd ( he seems to love the 3.0) and he readily takes crickets. I mist once in the morning and then heavily at night again. My house is kept at 70 degrees and the rep room stays from 70-76.

OK here's the confusing part... he visibly looks thin. His spine is visible and his hips stick out. His tail also looks withered to me and not plump like all my other geckos. The other 12 i have are all doing wonderful. His sibling is also thriving. I'm wondering if he had a crazy growth spurt and his body weight needs to catch up? I'm very concerned. Is almost like he eats yet has no muscle mass.

What do you guys think? Is there something else I can feed him for m ore protein? The vet couldn't find any answer we even precautionary treated him for parasites/ worms. He is slowly gaining weight and is active... but he looks terrible weirdest thing ever...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3446_zps92092723.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	1083391

Name:	IMAG3443.jpg
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	1083393

Name:	IMAG3438.jpg
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	1083392

Name:	IMAG3445.jpg
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	1083395

Name:	IMAG3442.jpg
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	1083394
    4.4.5 Cresteds
    0.1.0 HuskyX Allie
    1.0.0 Thoroughbred Bailey
    0.1.0 Blizzard Corn Snake Eclipse

My iherp page

I have no idea but I hope it all works out :-(
    1.1.1 Crested Geckos
    0.2 Dogs 1.1 Kittens

Facebook
    iHerp

Comment

Do you know how old he is?

How long has he looked this way?

It's possible he's just going through a lanky teenager phase. I know with mine that they'll sometimes look a bit on the thin side with ribs showing once they've gone through a growth spurt. It doesn't take long for them to fill out though.

While yours is gaining weight, which is good, the spurts you've mentioned aren't excessive.

Is it possible he's dehydrated? Do you keep a bowl of water in his enclosure as well as misting?
      ~Cassi

www.facebook.com/NaturesAuraPhotography

Comment

Waxworms are fatty and good for putting on weight, if you wanted to try that. That is strange though. Keep us updated on this please?
        Stickyfoot Dragons on Facebook

“You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals.”
        -Paul McCartney

Comment

He does have a small bowl for water which I recently started doing because the winter has dried the cap out of my apartment. His hatch date was around january 2011 so he's about two years old. His full brother is 30.1g as of this morning with no tail he was an extremely slow grower until 5 months ago. But he's plump. I hope his body just needs to catch up because other than how he looks he's healthy.
          4.4.5 Cresteds
          0.1.0 HuskyX Allie

My iherp page

Comment

It could be a combination of several factors - growth spurt, plus dehydration, plus a slightly small enclosure. At nearly 30 grams, I feel that a 12X12X18 is only a bit bigger than 10 gallons. I would prefer 20 gallons for an adult, or a 64qt tub that is adequately decked out to make use of all the space. I don't think that the standard 10 gallon tanks provides adequate dimensions; the tank you have is slightly bigger and better dimensions but still a little small. It could contribute to lack of exercise and muscle tone that you noted. A small tank can be fine if there is adequate space to move around, hide, thermoregulate, etc. so don't take this as you should never use a 12X12X18, it's just difficult to achieve the right balance of foliage to open space for jumping.

I would try another fecal sample, as parasites can be present and still give a false negative on test results.

Good luck!
            Specializing in Crested Geckos
            Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
            Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
            Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

So an update.. he's still somewhat active just slower.. and has dropped to 24.8g :-( every night I can get him to readily eat cgd and I've been giving him saunas with pedialyte too.. the vet was no help and said it was most likely mbd but I HIGHLY doubt it his calcium sacks are good and structurally speaking he looks good... after researching i strongly suspect parasite and im going to treat with flagyl ... fingers crossed he's still fighting so I'm not giving up... also in the meantime I'm looking for another herp vet ... sigh the good news everyone else is doing great so i hope none of this spreads... spore by the way is quarantined in another room
              4.4.5 Cresteds
              0.1.0 HuskyX Allie

My iherp page

Comment

Also usually I keep my adults in the bigger zoomeds ... i moved Spore into a smaller track to make sure he was eating and such
                4.4.5 Cresteds
                0.1.0 HuskyX Allie

My iherp page

Comment

Skinny kritter, eating and getting skinnier - my guess parasite as well. En-ta-meb-a I just don't remember how to spell it, is treated with metronidazole/fish zole. something else to think about.
                  Roxanne
                  and the zoo
                  www.geckoluv.com

Comment

Yup That's what I'm treating for... flagyl is metronidazole. The vet I had sure was a winner pretty much gave up and told me it was untreatable crypto and when I said I don't believe cresteds get crypto he didn't seem to care at all.... and this was a herp vet!
                    4.4.5 Cresteds
                    0.1.0 HuskyX Allie

My iherp page

Comment

You sure they can't get it? I think it is just not as common in cresteds as leos, but they probably can still get it.

Comment

oh, didn't know that lol.
                        Roxanne
                        and the zoo
                        www.geckoluv.com

Comment

Working...
                        X