A question about crestie eggs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question about crestie eggs.

Ok so a female that we got from someone on this forum laid eggs the other day. We were expecting them but just not so soon! So we have them in a container with super hatch and the humidity is around 70% and temps are between 68-72. I've been keeping them under a little table in my room but I feel like it's not a safe place for them. My question is can I put the container in my closet or do the eggs need light in order to develop properly? I know they'd be safer in my closet because nobody goes in there except for me and I can control temps easy. I'm just concerned about the lack of light!
    <3 Rachel (Kiwi Geckos)
    My iherp
    Bunches of critters.

Um... eggs in the wild are buried in the ground and stay buried until they hatch. So I'd assume that it's fine as long as the temps are regulated.
    2:0:0 White's tree frogs
    0:0:2 Hermit crabs 1:1:0 African Reed frogs 2:2:0 Crested geckos
    0:1:0 Gargoyle gecko 2:0:0 Parrotlets 1:0:0 Biewer Yorkie

Comment

Very true about them being buried. But even if they're buried they'd be close to the surface I'm sure and get some type of sunlight peeking thru during the day.
      <3 Rachel (Kiwi Geckos)
      My iherp
      Bunches of critters.

Comment

hmm, I doubt that they get that much light. I'm not sure how deep cresties bury in the wild, because the captive ones really only can go so far down, but they would hide them super well, if not, other predators would come in, dig them up and eat them. Plus buried underground in a forest is basically the same as no light at all.
        2:0:0 White's tree frogs
        0:0:2 Hermit crabs 1:1:0 African Reed frogs 2:2:0 Crested geckos
        0:1:0 Gargoyle gecko 2:0:0 Parrotlets 1:0:0 Biewer Yorkie

Comment

They will be fine in your closet, that's where I kept my eggs before our recent move. This year I'll be keeping them inside a cabinet in my basement, lowest temps in my house & zero chance of 'accidently' being disturbed by one of my kids or dogs
          4.1 Dogs: Baringer, Riesling, Trunks, Tebow & Dante 1.0 Sulcata: Cavin 1.1 KSB: Mordecei & P.B. 2.2.6 Gargoyles: Venture, Triana, LSP, Nyx, 21 & 24 0.2 Leopard Geckos: Videl & Eclipse 1. 0AFT: Rigby 7.7.19 Cresties: Ghost, Drayven, Morzan, Jelly, Esme, Peach, Marcelene, Ino, Chi, Haven, Tsunade, Senju, Cinna, Tribute, Jiraya, Iruka, Kurama, Seelie, Kushina, Tada & Iyrony 1.0 Short Tailed Opossum: Daubie

Comment

Oh nice awesome. In the summer my closet stays cooler so that will be nice. The dogs bothering the eggs is what I worry about too. thanks for your help!
            Last edited by xxrach; 01-21-2013, 12:51 PM.
            <3 Rachel (Kiwi Geckos)
            My iherp
            Bunches of critters.

Comment

Working...
            X