Egg Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egg Questions

Hello this is our first time with eggs, and we have a basic question. Our female this is her first laying and she laid 2 clutches and a total of 4 eggs. The first clutch was laid around Oct. 28th and then the second one was around Thanksgiving. We keep the eggs in a homemade incubator and the temp normally runs around 76 to 80 degrees F. We keep it in our lizard room because that is a stable temp. Anyways, one of the eggs hatched from the first clutch, but the other has not is that normal? it has been a week now and the egg seems to be shrinking, it has also softened up but to look in the light there is dark on both ends but the middle still shows light. So is this egg good? Is it normal? we really didnt think any of the eggs had anything in them until the one hatched. The eggs have already beat our odds we figured none would hatch since this was our first try and wasnt sure if we had conditions right. So any advice would be greatly appreciated. We are just worried about the first clutch egg because we really didnt monitor the egg that hatched. until there was a new little gecko. Just is it normal that the egg shrinks and gets soft before it hatches or is it going bad?

Here is the little baby that hatched on the 11th of this month
    Mom and Dad of:
    3 dogs, 1 cat, 5 bearded dragons, 2 sugar gliders, and 11 crested geckos

i'm not sure what's up with the other egg since i'm still fairly new to the hatching process. your incubation temps are far too high though for the eggs. best temp range is i think around 68-72. it can be a nervewracking experience the first time around but after awhile you get the hang of it though.
    Crested Geckos-somewhere around 118 and 7 eggs cooking
    Leachies (GT and Nuu Ana mixes) 1.2
    Eurydactylodes Agricolae 1.0
    Rhacodactylus auriculatus 0.1.2
    http://www.facebook.com/ntfall.arboreals
    http://www.iherp.com/nightfallarboreals

Comment

yea the temp maybe a little bit of the problem but we figured it must not be to to high since the other one hatched, but def next time around we will put in a lower temp and yea it is very nervewracking we like check that egg ever hour haha we just are unsure on it cause we really didnt pay to much attention to the other egg before it hatched so we are just i guess watching and waitng, we are def going to be more prepared the next time she lays.
      Mom and Dad of:
      3 dogs, 1 cat, 5 bearded dragons, 2 sugar gliders, and 11 crested geckos

Comment

the lower temps help with overall structure and helps to have the crestie be more robust and healthier when breaking free. i'm almost done with my first season of breeding and when it was time for the eggs to hatch, i was looking at them constantly. good luck with your adventure and it's a fun experience watching them hatch out.
        Crested Geckos-somewhere around 118 and 7 eggs cooking
        Leachies (GT and Nuu Ana mixes) 1.2
        Eurydactylodes Agricolae 1.0
        Rhacodactylus auriculatus 0.1.2
        http://www.facebook.com/ntfall.arboreals
        http://www.iherp.com/nightfallarboreals

Comment

Unfortunately, if the egg is shrinking steadily you probably have a dead hatchling or one that didn't ever fully form. I've never had a normal crested egg shrink before hatching (if you do a search you can find the last thread I made in here about a shrinking egg I cut). It doesn't sound like it is candling normally either - there should be no big open area in the middle, if you rotate your light around the "equator" of the egg, there should be a area where no light gets through, because of the gecko's body in the way. Personally in this situation I'd cut the egg, but that is a very individual decision that you must make for yourself.

Congrats on the healthy hatchling however, it's a cute little gooper!
          .. Familiar Exotics .. and related Blog ..

*** 7.16.10 Cresties *** 4.5 Gargs *** 1.0 Ibera Greek Tortoise *** 0.1 Rubber Boa *** 0.2.1.2 Mourning Geckos *** 2.1.3 E. agricolae *** 1.2.2.7 L. williamsi *** 1.1 C. sarasinorum ***

Comment

Working...
          X