male ciliatus can't get it in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• male ciliatus can't get it in?

Okay, I feel gross explaining this, but I gotta ask. I have two females that are proven, and a male that was sold to me as proven but I never saw babies he produced so I can't be sure. My females had been cooling since early September and seemed like they were ready so I put the trio together on December 1st and I expected to have eggs by now. Neither of the females looks gravid yet and I have witnessed copulation a few times. Each time I've seen it though, it looks as though the male can't get his weenies in the females. Like, he calls out and then they get in the position and he pops it out and they just sit there like that rather than it going in at all. Last season when I saw my other male, his pene went into the female's vent when they were mating. What's up with this guy?
    iherp
    facebook

Maybe your voyeurism is disturbing them?

Cresties aren't breeding machines, some of them have different habits than others but end up reproducing fine in the long run. There could be other factors, as well, like maybe the females aren't ready to mate because it's winter and they normally breed in the spring. Sometimes you can get off-season breeding with artificial heat and lighting, but again, they're not going to breed on cue. I have had irregular egg laying when attempting to breed in the winter.

And finally, it takes around 45-60 days for the first eggs to appear after mating. Of course it could be longer if the females weren't interested in mating when you introduced them. You might start getting eggs Feb-March if you are now seeing mating behavior. You could just have a male that isn't compatible with the females, which happens sometimes.

Good luck!
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Spyral View Post
      Maybe your voyeurism is disturbing them?

Cresties aren't breeding machines, some of them have different habits than others but end up reproducing fine in the long run. There could be other factors, as well, like maybe the females aren't ready to mate because it's winter and they normally breed in the spring. Sometimes you can get off-season breeding with artificial heat and lighting, but again, they're not going to breed on cue. I have had irregular egg laying when attempting to breed in the winter.

And finally, it takes around 45-60 days for the first eggs to appear after mating. Of course it could be longer if the females weren't interested in mating when you introduced them. You might start getting eggs Feb-March if you are now seeing mating behavior. You could just have a male that isn't compatible with the females, which happens sometimes.

Good luck!
      Ok, I snorted.

Out of curiosity (as a prospective breeder) how would one know if they have an incompatible male? Would you have to wait an entire breeding year with no resulting eggs to determine such? Or are there other means of doing so before then?
      ~Cassi

www.facebook.com/NaturesAuraPhotography

Comment

Originally posted by cassicat4 View Post
        Ok, I snorted.

Out of curiosity (as a prospective breeder) how would one know if they have an incompatible male? Would you have to wait an entire breeding year with no resulting eggs to determine such? Or are there other means of doing so before then?
        Yeah I'm kind of wondering that too. I have another male coming in March and a couple females for him, but might switch up the females if these two are incompatable with this male :/
        iherp
        facebook

Comment

Some males seem to be intimidated by larger, more experienced females. If you don't see eggs for a few months (during the warm months) you can try separating and re-introducing. Also, sometimes pairs/trios kept together will fall into "just friends" mode so a cooling off period can also serve to re-kindle their... relationship.

That being said, some people are able to control environment enough to breed in the "off" season, so it can be hard, I just found it troublesome.
          Specializing in Crested Geckos
          Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
          Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
          Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Spyral View Post
            Some males seem to be intimidated by larger, more experienced females. If you don't see eggs for a few months (during the warm months) you can try separating and re-introducing. Also, sometimes pairs/trios kept together will fall into "just friends" mode so a cooling off period can also serve to re-kindle their... relationship.

That being said, some people are able to control environment enough to breed in the "off" season, so it can be hard, I just found it troublesome.
            So what your mean is they get friend zoned lol
            0.1 Flying Gecko
            2.2 Tokay Gecko
            1.1 Bearded Dragon
            2.0.1Crested Gecko
            1.0 Ball Python

Comment

Working...
            X