Half throwing a tail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Half throwing a tail

I'm just wondering if anyone else has encountered this.

One of my newest babies half threw its tail, but didn't and it re-connected/healed or whatever you want to call it.

Boink - from MaddoxDobbes - was very skittish due to transport. She was not super thrilled. She went into a 5 gallon QT tank once she got home. She hid for a few days and I just let her go. After about 4 days, I decided to go find her and check on her. I noticed her tail was EXTREMELY floppy - not just FTS but flopping around like it was disconnected. I have not yet witnessed a tail drop, so I figured that's what was going on and left her alone, but not after taking a picture.

I took a picture because it looked like the skin was starting to disconnect. I haven't ever witnessed a tail drop, but I assumed it went faster than this :P Either way, it was photo worthy: (note: the plant was kind of holding the tail up at this point. If it wasn't there, it would be flopped at about a 90* angle and the open skin was stretched more, but not bloody or anything. She had extremely minimal use of it)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	disconnectedtail.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	1081632

I checked to make sure the tail didn't become necrotic or anything or I would have helped her finish the job. Instead, it re-connected. The seam healed, and the tail is no longer floppy. I didn't think this was possible due to how floppy it was when I first saw it.

Name:	115946_262223_Large_NapbZNosSb.jpg
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	1081633

If I would have taken a picture of her like this when it happened, it would have a severe kink where it comes out of her rump. I noticed that it was floppy first by how when she was laying curled up the tail was almost directly underneath her! Now it is back to being a normal tail. It is a touch weaker than typical, but not floppy at all.

Name:	115946_262224_Large_Ffvp4VzBA16Jt.jpg
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	1081634

Has anyone else had this happen?

i mean it makes sense that that happened cool pics, glad the tail is back to normal
    11.8.16.3 crested geckos

www.iherp.com/limegreenartist
    www.crestieicandy.weebly.com

Comment

It may be from my misunderstanding of the mechanics of tail throwing. I figured once the bones were disconnected, that would be game over for any kind of real control of the tail or sturdiness at the base. It's just strange is all

Comment

The fracture planes probably never sundered and the flesh healed cleanly.
        In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.
        http://www.youtube.com/user/svalnahel?feature=mhee

Comment

I do vaguely remember seeing a similar thread. From what I remember the tail healed fine except for a small scar that ended up looking like it was part of the pattern on the tail anyway. Glad to hear Boink didn't lose her tail completely!!
          1.0.0 R. auriculatus - Quinn
          1.0.0 C. ciliatus - Good Hank
          1.0.0 Mutt - Waldo
          1.2.0 Cats - Oliver, Dharia and Chloe
          iherp.com/sarahberry

Comment

Working...
          X