Really bad shedding problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really bad shedding problem

Please help. I am a relatively new crested gecko owner I got my first one 5 months ago and my second 2 and a half months ago. I keep the temp between 68 and 78 degrees with humidity of 80 at night and 50-40 during the day. My older gecko shed completely with no problem. My newer smaller one has been shedding in pieces for over two weeks. I have had her in a warm sauna for 15 minutes 3 times and tried to gently rub the skin off with a wet qtip. It is not coming off. I will be taking her to the vet soon, but is there anything else I can use to soak her? Private messages welcome. I really am concerned.

Do you have a moist hide in the viv? I find that especially younger ones usually tend to need a place with extra humidity for shedding. You may also want to dry alternating wet and dry q tips
    MyRhacdiction

1.1.3 Cresties, 1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Leopard Gecko
    I want a Chewie and a Rubber Boa next)))))))
    Let's just say my house is a zoo)

Comment

I've also had luck veeeeeeeery carefully removing shed with tweezers after a sauna. Try giving her a half-coconut hut or an emory board or something else rough for her to rub up on with shedding. I found that helps my younger ones A LOT.
      3.4.5 Crested Geckos, 0.1 Nuu Ana Leachie, 3.5.1 Cats, 1.3 Dogs, 2.0 Rats, 0.1 Mildly Tolerant Partner

Comment

@crestiecool what do you use to make the most hide? I know I can use a Tupperware container but what type of moss is safe? I've hesitated because I've heard stories of th eating the moss and I'm terrified of impaction. @thebluejakal she is too fast and to frightened for me to use tweezers. I don't think she was handled very much by her previous owner and I believe the problem with he shedding also may have been ongoing. I will try the emery board.

Comment

I have a half cut bark thingy that my gecko used to rub against. Its not plastic and hold moister well and helps with the humidity of the tank

Comment

If you are having a hard time getting the shed off, I recommend this product:
            http://reviews.petsmart.com/4830/275...ws/reviews.htm

It worked well when I had a tiny hatchling who had some pretty nasty shed one time. Worked really well for me.

Comment

moist hide

I use spagnum moss..and have never had any trouble. Leaving a shallow dish of water in the viv helps as well.
              MyRhacdiction

1.1.3 Cresties, 1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Leopard Gecko
              I want a Chewie and a Rubber Boa next)))))))
              Let's just say my house is a zoo)

Comment

First I just want to say that my little ginger shed this morning completely. I think the bath I gave her two days prior( I used room temp spring water and some real aloe Vera from my plant that I grow) really helped. So I want to thank each of you for your help. It means a lot. I am still going to make the moist hide. She used the cork round and jungle stick to start her shed. I have always wondered about the Zola repti shed product but was afraid to use it. Glad to hear it works and is safe. Again thank you all so much!

Comment

Working...
                X