EMERGENCY, Leachianus Prolapse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMERGENCY, Leachianus Prolapse

I'm trying to stay calm and luckily I've researched this for those just in case situations. I have what I believe to be a female leachianus that has prolapsed. She is just under a year old and have had her since November of 2010. She has never been exposed to a male, eats great, and is hydrated. I went to take some pictures of her fired up tonight while feeding my colony and I thought she was having a bowel movement. I left her alone for a minute and came back to see this.

I gave her a warm bath while I deeply sterilized a small 6qt tub setup with moist paper towels. I would have taken her to the vet but the only one open on the weekend is a horrible dog/cat vet that once told a friend to feed their iguana meat. After the bath was over I called up a few friends for help. I was unable, using a Q-Tip, to get it back in. I ended up putting a liberal amount of honey on it and placed her back in the sterilized Q-Tub.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated. I've never heard of something like this happening with a non-breeding female before, she is normally in a tub setup with clean paper towels as substrate. Mind boggling and very stressful.

Earlier today

Prolapse

The bowel movement she had after I saw the prolapse
    Formerly known as eel588, new name same great taste!

I'm gonna go with---she's a he. Looks like a hemipene to me.

Check out those pores
    Meg
    THE GECKO ALCHEMIST
    on facebook

Comment

Originally posted by meg90 View Post
      I'm gonna go with---she's a he. Looks like a hemipene to me.

Check out those pores
      I'm used to ball python's small hemipenes and all the pictures online are of cresteds/leos. I've never seen it look like this. Thanks for the correction, any ideas of what else I should do?

Comment

Well i'm not as use to Leaches as much as Cresties, but this animal has pre-anal pores and a bit of a bludge, so i think you have a male who is just showing himself. Although, a prolapse of a hemipean is still odd, especially due to a poop, so i would still try to go to the vet if you can (just to be safe), but i really think you have a male and that's a heamipean and not a prolapsed "womanhood" (for lack of a better word).

I hope that helps!
        2.2.4.4 Crested Gecko ( Panchi, Cobar, Jodhaa, Mocha, Poe, Durc, Tivonan, & Stelona.)
        0.1 Leopard Gecko ( Mehndi )
        1.0 Tokay Gecko ( Ralphie )
        2.0 Dogs ( Mel, Buck )
        0.4 Cats ( Koyo, Lupin, Hope, Flop-Tail )

Comment

Yup, looks like a hemipenes, but really needs an exam to know for sure. Keep it moist with honey until the good vet in town is available on Monday.
          www.harleygecko.com : Color, Contrast, Structure
          Specializing in Harlequins and Pinstripes in Red, Cream and Yellow
          3.9.20+ crested geckos
          Harley - my first gecko, retired and spoiled
          Pickle - unsexed leachie

Comment

Did it go back in? I would say leave him be.

This is a thread with a photo of a leachie hemipene after copulation. If I can find more, I'll link.
            http://www.forums.repashy.com/showthread.php?t=35577

I would say he should be fine. Boys reach maturity and seem to want to test out their parts. A male crestie did just that on my scale the other day (I had weighed a female before him)
            Meg
            THE GECKO ALCHEMIST
            on facebook

Comment

I was gonna say i saw pores but don't know how many rows can be pseudo in leachies ... good luck hopefully it retracts itself ...
              11.8.16.3 crested geckos

www.iherp.com/limegreenartist
              www.crestieicandy.weebly.com

Comment

Thanks for the reassurance everyone! This is crazy.

The reason why I believed it to be a female not a male is because female leachianus have pseudo pores as well but I've read males need to have at least 5-6 solid rows of pores, this one only has three. My other one that is for sure a male has the 5-6 pores and I bought them together. I feel like I've done all I could and I'm glad I researched prolapses previous to this. I have high hopes that with the sterile tub, warm bath, and honey I'll wake up to it being fine. If not I'll continue to keep it moist.

I'm not sure if I should put food in the tub tonight because I don't want it to get Repashy all over.

Comment

Have you peeked at him recently to see if its still out? I think he will be fine. Male cresteds often pull their parts out (sometimes even during photoshoots) and they are almost always fine. It doesn't look dark, or dry or inflamed to me in anyway.

Were you handling other geckos, any female geckos, before you handled him? Something's scent could have easily set him off.

Pores are tricky business. There are no hard or fast rules. Leachie bulges can also be a bit weirder to spot. How big is this fella? I'm gonna scroll up to see if you posted that already-
                  Meg
                  THE GECKO ALCHEMIST
                  on facebook

Comment

I agree about leachies, very confusing with sexing.

I just checked on him and he is licking the honey and hopefully getting the hemipenes back in. I guess now that I know I have 2 males next to each other, as well as a room full of other geckos and snakes that may be the reason. I will keep you guys updated. I have to work early, but I'm not going to be able to go to sleep anytime soon. Time to open a beer and wait...

Have you peeked at him recently to see if its still out? I think he will be fine. Male cresteds often pull their parts out (sometimes even during photoshoots) and they are almost always fine. It doesn't look dark, or dry or inflamed to me in anyway.

Were you handling other geckos, any female geckos, before you handled him? Something's scent could have easily set him off.

Pores are tricky business. There are no hard or fast rules. Leachie bulges can also be a bit weirder to spot. How big is this fella? I'm gonna scroll up to see if you posted that already-

Comment

Originally posted by eel588 View Post
                      I'm used to ball python's small hemipenes and all the pictures online are of cresteds/leos. I've never seen it look like this. Thanks for the correction, any ideas of what else I should do?
                      (this is after my first post, sorry if I'm repeating everyone else ><; )

Ahh i feel you hun. Snakes look way different, and this does look different than a crested normally does (I'm assuming they are extremely similar) but they can range in shape and size depending on if that animal is aroused, just copulated, and situations like this where it is accidental.

and i think as long as you keep your little one in a really clean environment and you keep a good eye on his "business", i think it will be fine. :3
                      2.2.4.4 Crested Gecko ( Panchi, Cobar, Jodhaa, Mocha, Poe, Durc, Tivonan, & Stelona.)
                      2.0 Dogs ( Mel, Buck )

Comment

Originally posted by Boanyoo View Post
                        (this is after my first post, sorry if I'm repeating everyone else ><; )

Ahh i feel you hun. Snakes look way different, and this does look different than a crested normally does (I'm assuming they are extremely similar) but they can range in shape and size depending on if that animal is aroused, just copulated, and situations like this where it is accidental.

and i think as long as you keep your little one in a really clean environment and you keep a good eye on his "business", i think it will be fine. :3
                        Thank you, I'm just the over worried gecko dad. This is the place to vent your concerns, haha.

Comment

Definitely a good idea to post! It helps to be told things will be ok. I had a shadow-hunting crested get a mouth full of eco earth once--I posted a HALP thread and I think that was my first time in chat LOL. I had her in a hospital bin too, in about 5 mins flat.

I think his bidnuss will be back where it belongs by morning and hopefully he doesn't think he'll get honey every time

Showing worry just means you're a good keeper! Sending good vibes your way!
                          Meg
                          THE GECKO ALCHEMIST
                          on facebook

Comment

Definitely a good idea to post! It helps to be told things will be ok. I had a shadow-hunting crested get a mouth full of eco earth once--I posted a HALP thread and I think that was my first time in chat LOL. I had her in a hospital bin too, in about 5 mins flat.

I think his bidnuss will be back where it belongs by morning and hopefully he doesn't think he'll get honey every time

Showing worry just means you're a good keeper! Sending good vibes your way!
                            Thanks Meg! I appreciate the good vibes.

Comment

Hahaha i totally feel you! XD its a great place to come too with worries with all the amazing people here. ^^

Originally posted by eel588 View Post
                              Thank you, I'm just the over worried gecko dad. This is the place to vent your concerns, haha.
                              2.0 Dogs ( Mel, Buck )

Comment

Working...
                              X