Is it becoming more common??? Parthengenic EGGS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it becoming more common??? Parthengenic EGGS

I have a female Teal that is a very slow grower, I have had her over a year and a half and she is currently 32.2 grams. I have owned her since she was 7 grams, I bought her from CJR. She has been housed alone since I have had her(7g). She is now in a split tank with 2 females on the other side. Yes, I know they are female. They have layed eggs and some have hatched this season, so yes again they are female. I was walking by the tank and saw 2 eggs one in the CGD and one on the floor. They looked super white so I candled and 2 big cheerios. I have put them in their own incubator to watch them. One of the eggs, that was in the CGD is a little soft. But, we'll watch and wait and see. This is going to be a long long few months.
    4.11.10 Crested Gecko (Flash,Nemo,Pip, Addie,Flip,Summer,Chip,FB,Teal, Sweetie, Slice, Star, Scuba, Brinx, Peach )
    2.0 Golden Retrievers (Dreamer,Catcher)

Wow! Good luck and keep us posted. If they hatch I'm going to kick myself for not incubating all the virgin eggs I've been getting this year!
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

Are you sure the females on the other side have no way of getting into her side of the tank?
      -Will
      My Facebook
      ôResentment is like drinking a poison and waiting for the other person to die." Carrie Fisher

Comment

Originally posted by WillC View Post
        Are you sure the females on the other side have no way of getting into her side of the tank?
        Absolutely, plus they layed their eggs this week too. I walked by the tank no eggs walked back 2 eggs and 2 girls on one side 1 on the other.
        4.11.10 Crested Gecko (Flash,Nemo,Pip, Addie,Flip,Summer,Chip,FB,Teal, Sweetie, Slice, Star, Scuba, Brinx, Peach )

Comment

I think it's that these animals are starting to be in captivity long enough for keepers to begin noticing this stuff. I hope they grow for you. Make sure to take pictures throughout development so you have good documentation if they do turn out to be fertile.

Comment

I'm soooo glad I keep and candle and double check all my virgin eggs. So far, nothing from my virgin females though, all yellow eggs. Please keep us posted and take pics of progression if you can! Good luck!
            Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Comment

Teal is in the list of the crested geckos up there on the signature.

Comment

In all my years I have never gotten virgin crested eggs to my knowledge.... unless the males never got the deed done and the females just laid eggs.... hmmmmmm. We don't SEE all of our geckos mate, so how could one be sure if one usually houses pairs? It is rare that I have an adult female sitting around waiting for an appropriate male... usually I have males waiting for females to mature.

I have gotten virgin auric eggs (duds) and virgin chahoua eggs (also duds) often. Last month I got parthenogenic leachie eggs from my virgin female... both fertile. Now if we prove viable crested eggs from virgin females, interesting if the offspring will be clones of the mother. Good stuff!
                Mike
                www.dragontownreptiles.com

Comment

If we prove parthy cresteds, high quality females of laying weight will probably rocket through the roof.

Comment

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw my females eggs either. I candled them, and they seriously looked fertile....however from everything I thought I knew/read I chucked them. Now after seeing some of these posts I really wish I wouldn't have.... My female has NEVER been with a male. At least from the two years I've owned her, and this is the first year she has ever laid, and furthermore has been of the correct size. She is actually laying tonight, and if these eggs seem to be the same as her first batch I will be keeping them...just to find out for myself. How interesting!
                    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Djgeckos/612643268761865

Comment

Originally posted by Soup View Post
                      If we prove parthy cresteds, high quality females of laying weight will probably rocket through the roof.
                      I don't think so. The crested market is flooded as it is... introducing parthenogenic animals just means it is even easier to produce offspring. Plus, someone would have discovered this from 1994 through now, certainly... if it is something that happens, it certainly isn't common and would have no impact on price IMO.
                      Mike
                      www.dragontownreptiles.com

Comment

If things work out in the next few years of breeders watching, we may have piebald cresteds and parthenogenic eggs...interesting.
                        1.4.0 Leopard Geckos; 6.4.1.4 Crested Geckos; 0.1.0.1 Mourning Geckos; 0.1.0 Creamsicle Corn Snakes;
                        0.1 Hedgehog; 0.2 Mice; 1.4 Felines; 1.1 Canines

Comment

Update both eggs are starting to get veins and the cheerio is darkening. Bad news the egg layed in the CGD is starting to turn yellow. I tried to clean the food off but not sure how long it was in the food dish. But the other egg still white and pretty.

Comment

I have had virgin females lay eggs in the past, but since I was told that they just lay infertile eggs when they hit sexual maturity, I never really even thought to check if they may be viable. Now I haven't had a virgin female in quite some time, but I'll have to keep an eye on my new holdbacks in case they decide to lay eggs. Very interesting stuff! Nature finds a way lol

Comment

Originally posted by Dragontown View Post
                              Plus, someone would have discovered this from 1994 through now, certainly...
                              As much as I respect your opinions and experience, I have to disagree with this statement. Remember, it took over 20 years before the first Leo morph emerged.....maybe parthenogenesis is one of those quirky things that starts happening after numerous years of captivity.

I may not be on the forums much, but it seems to me that all kinds of weird things are just now starting to happen in the world of Rhacs (parthenogenesis, possible recessive mutation, and bicephallism)....kinda makes me want to stick around more to see what's next.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
                              Spiders, and snakes, and geckos.....oh, my!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X