Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wanna see a dead baby?!?! ..(lotsa photos)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanna see a dead baby?!?! ..(lotsa photos)

You are now about to see the death of a baby!
    The egg was laid in the end of December. This is also Kolby's first year laying eggs.

These are photos of candling to be sure it was fertile.

And I noticed there was an odd gap within the egg. I posted about that and figured it was uneven calcification.

Everything seemed to be going well over the next month or so. I would candle every now and then and would see the tail and head twitch inside the egg.
    But then about 3 weeks ago it started to look funny. It kinda looked like it got scrambled within the egg. The embryo also shifted to the otherside of the egg.

So then within the last week of incubation it started to mold. I also noticed some little bumps on one side of the egg also. So here are some photos of the egg just before i cut it open.

Then I cut it open. It was just a moldy solid mass at the bottomside of the egg. I couldn't see any sort of resemblance of a gecko or skeleton at all.

And just because... i cut it open in the middle to take another look inside of it. (it crunched when i cut it)

I just thought I would share this and if anyone has any similar experiences or some theory as to what could have happened I'd love to hear some input.
    As of now I just figure it's a first time breeder's egg gone bad.

Thanks for looking at my depressing photos of a dying/dead baby!

It happens! Doubt you did anything wrong.
    Kinda looks like my toenail clippings.
    JBsCresties.com & Facebook & Instagram, oh my

Comment

Well it's good to know... that it just happens.... and that your toenail clippings look like moldy rotten eggs.

Comment

Originally posted by KolbyCrest View Post
        Well it's good to know... that it just happens.... and that your toenail clippings look like moldy rotten eggs.
        Bahahahaha.....this is a hearty laugh at Jb's expsense!

I honestly thought there'd be some horrible mutated baby gecko photos in here, and I'm kinda glad there wasn't. Interesting, though!
        My iHerp[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Comment

I actually have a few pics of an egg I found that developed, but I didn't know she had started laying. So I found it in the substrate unhatched and cut it open. Fully developed skeleton and all... but decomposed eyes and such. Though I'm thinking it'd be a bit graphic.

Comment

I actually have a few pics of an egg I found that developed, but I didn't know she had started laying. So I found it in the substrate unhatched and cut it open. Fully developed skeleton and all... but decomposed eyes and such. Though I'm thinking it'd be a bit graphic.
            I would be interested in seeing!

Comment

Originally posted by Heather at QCG View Post
              I would be interested in seeing!
              Alrighty you asked for it.

Comment

Alrighty you asked for it.
                Very interesting! Any idea how old the egg was?

Comment

The more developed one I have no idea. I only found that one when I searched the substrate after finding the original one back in December. It was at least an inch under the ecoearth and just never hatched. it was dented and gross looking so I cut it open to see and then threw it out.

Comment

The more developed one I have no idea. I only found that one when I searched the substrate after finding the original one back in December. It was at least an inch under the ecoearth and just never hatched. it was dented and gross looking so I cut it open to see and then threw it out.
                    It's unfortunate that it didn't make it, but thank you for sharing! I think its good for breeders to get the chance to see what's going on in there. It is gross and sad, but definitely fascinating.

Comment

Working...
                    X