breeding questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• breeding questions

I have a female that is always kept with my male, she has been with me for going on 3 breeding seasons. What I don't understand is that she has never laid anything. Fertile or infertile. Why is that? Is she too old or is she bred out? She is very healthy. 38g she also eats well and is active. Does she spend too much time with the male? I have another female that is caged separately but placed with the male every few months. She produces eggs every 5 weeks or so. (2 clutches so far this year) does anyone have any idea why my female is not producing anything?
    9.4.2 cresties
    1.1 Dumeril's Boas
    1.0 Corn Snake
    1.0 Hognose Snake
    1.0 Sand Boa

It's possible that, given the circumstances, she may be infertile. If she's never laid an egg in three years, that would have to be my guess. (Assuming of course that you're 100% sure she's a she. You always gotta ask!)
    My iHerp[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Comment

She is deff a female. No pores, no signs of being a male. I person I got her from said she has laid fertile eggs before but you can never trust that. I am thinking she is infertile too. Or she is just done, unable to produce anymore if that's possible. She is only 4-5 yrs old from what I know about her.
      9.4.2 cresties
      1.1 Dumeril's Boas
      1.0 Corn Snake
      1.0 Hognose Snake
      1.0 Sand Boa

Comment

Originally posted by jdamazing View Post
        She is deff a female. No pores, no signs of being a male. I person I got her from said she has laid fertile eggs before but you can never trust that. I am thinking she is infertile too. Or she is just done, unable to produce anymore if that's possible. She is only 4-5 yrs old from what I know about her.
        If she's 4-5 years old, she's in her prime.
        Sounds like she's just.. infertile? Interesting though. I wonder if she would lay with a seperate male. Even though he has offspring from a different female.
        The name Stella fills me with dread.
        Mondegreen Geckos
        >iHerp >Facebook

Comment

Do you have an appropriate laybox? Is it possible she is laying elsewhere (as in, a planted terrarium) and you just haven't found eggs? I had a girl lay several sets of eggs that way...

You could try separating the pair and reintroducing later, maybe they just need to spice up their relationship a little.
          Specializing in Crested Geckos
          Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
          Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
          Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

I use the same rubbermaids in all my enclosures as lay boxes.
            9.4.2 cresties
            1.1 Dumeril's Boas
            1.0 Corn Snake
            1.0 Hognose Snake
            1.0 Sand Boa

Comment

I use the same rubbermaids in all my enclosures as lay boxes. I have never had a problem with them. I search the tanks of all my cresties all the time for eggs. I think I'm going to separate her for a few weeks and try her with a different male. I really don't care if she breeds or not. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something that was unhealthy. I got into geckos because I love them not to make money.

Thank you all for your ideas.
              9.4.2 cresties
              1.1 Dumeril's Boas
              1.0 Corn Snake
              1.0 Hognose Snake
              1.0 Sand Boa

Comment

Working...
              X