High % of egg deaths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High % of egg deaths

I have been experiance a high % of egg deaths recently, and im not to sure why, last season i had a couple eggs mold and grow paracites and i solved that problem by buying these little gizmos, the little plastic cups with the egg liners that keep the eggs of the hatching medium. but even with this im having alot of eggs die on me, to put it in Perspective for this seasons deaths, Codas laid two eggs one died, Kumquat laid 4 eggs and one died and one has a dent but im working on popping that back out with a moist paper towel near it, moya had two eggs, one died, becbec had 4 eggs, all 4 died, jujube had two eggs, both died.
    kumquat and jujubes first breedin seasons
    Coda and Moyas Seconds
    BecBecs first with me, the person before me said that she has bred before.
    BecBec and Jujubes eggs came out pretty much dead, they came out with the surface area like, 90% dent in, i kept them for a while to see if they would plump back out but no luck.
    Coda bred to the same male as last year, (sahnie)
    Kumquat was bred to Durian (durains first year breeding too)
    BecBec Moya and Jujube bred to Lychee( Lychees first breeding season with me but made wonderful babies with Erica and crown jewel)
    Laying medium 50% Cocofiber 50% vermiculite.
    checked every morning and early night.
    eggs are in the plastic containers with vermiculite but are suspened off the actual hatching medium with the egg holders.
    incubated at 74F
    becbec moya and jujubee all 40+ grams,
    kumquat is aprox 37 grams
    coda is 34 grams tailless.

so,..whats going on with all these egg deaths? its so frustrating and disapointing, please help!

Originally posted by nsime View Post
    so,..whats going on with all these egg deaths? its so frustrating and disapointing, please help!
    I think your post is really hard to read so to save a little time I worked up your stats for other people to read:

Geckos:
    Coda - Second Year Breeding - 34g Tailless
    2 eggs - 1 dead

Moya - Second Year Breeding - 40g+
    2 eggs - 1 dead

BecBec - Second Year Breeding - 40g+
    4 eggs - 4 dead

Kumquat - First Year Breeding - 37g
    ???

Jujube - First Year Breeding - 40g+
    2 eggs - 2 dead

Incubation Method
    SIMS Incubator type method (eggs off substrate)
    Laying medium 50% Cocofiber 50% vermiculite
    74F Degrees.
    The name Stella fills me with dread.
    Mondegreen Geckos
    >iHerp >Facebook

Comment

I know a lot of folks like the SIM incubators but I still cite this post a long while back from Repashy:
      http://www.forums.repashy.com/incuba...html#post75120

Originally posted by Allen Repashy
      ...use the largest container possible. The more volume inside the container, the more stable the environment is.. external temperature fluctuations are what cause condensation, and the larger your container, the longer it takes it to react to temp changes because if its increased mass. A lot of people use an eight ounce cup for a pair of gecko eggs and this is just too small imho...
      He has an article here as well. http://www.reptiles.repashy.com/superhatch.htm

I have found that bumping up to large containers with the eggs set directly on Aquatic Pond Soil (calcined clay, like Superhatch) has worked wonderfully for me. When I was using smaller containers I was having more issues.

Note, this will not really affect you much if you keep your eggs at the exact same temps at all times... but something to consider.
      JBsCresties.com & Facebook & Instagram, oh my

Comment

I will say that last year i had an issue with one females eggs constantly dying right before hatch time. i thought everything was perfect - until i really got down and dirty. I found the vermiculite wasnt holding the humidity as well as i thought it was. I switched over to hatch right and things appear to be going much better now. Its much easier to tell if the substrate is holding the humidity - with the vermiculite it appeared to be wet but it was uneven. one area would be wetter while another patch would be rather dry.
        Bailey Gecko's on FB

8.7.5.6.12.15.25...ahh hell, i lost count.. Crested Geckos

Comment

Are you sure the eggs are fertile? If these are all the first eggs of the season (which I assume because there are relatively few) then it could be they are just infertile duds and the next sets are more likely to make it.

I prefer SuperHatch - that's the hatching medium that changes color. Hatchrite is just pre-moistened vermiculite and I don't think it's any easier to tell when to add water. I also prefer a larger incubator for the same reason as JB cites. Bigger = more stable in temps and humidity. I use a 6qt Sterilite tub, the same size I use with hatchlings. I think it takes about 1.5 lbs of SuperHatch to fill it halfway, but a single 1lb bag should work also.
          Specializing in Crested Geckos
          Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
          Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
          Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

I would agree with JB on this one. I switched to a smaller container at the beginning of this season and had a big problem with my eggs denting in and going bad. Switched back to my old and larger container and they filled back out and are fine now. Didnt even think at the time that it was the actual size of the container that was the problem ...

Comment

thanks stellar for clearing that up, btw kumquat has 4 eggs 1 died.
              i dont know if they were actually firtile yet,i dont have a good method of seeing inside the eggs, all my
              lights are to dull, or it might be just to calcified for me to see through it? idk. i guess ill try the switching
              over to a larger container just to be safe, i thought that they might nothave been firtile just because alot of them
              are new breeders, i find it funny how its kumquats first season and hers look the best so far lol, well, i guess
              ill set that up tonight, ill let you guys know later down the road if im still having difficulties or if eveything
              is solved.
              becbec layed 4 eggs and jujube layed 2 and all of them when i first found them before the incubation process even begun were already
              dented beyond belief, hopefully they will lay again soon, i hope it was just a beginning trouble and that
              it will work itself out. ehhh, why do eggs hate me :'(

Comment

Its really easy to see through an egg- I honestly just grab a lamp and hold the egg to the edge of it. The light will hit it just enough for me to see the 'cheerio' or not. Infertile eggs have a yellow glow to them while fertile eggs will have more of a yellow-pinkish tint. Or at least, that is what I have experienced.
                The name Stella fills me with dread.
                Mondegreen Geckos
                >iHerp >Facebook

Comment

I tried using a SIM once for my cresteds eggs.....I lost a LOT of eggs that season. Most of my girls were proven so it was not because of it being their first season. However I can not blame it on the SIM either. I did use it last year for my phelsuma eggs and did not have an issue with it at all. But being me I said nope cresteds eggs are not going back in it...lol I went back to my old method which is this

Only difference now is that I have APS in there instead of perlite
                  lets just say I have a lot of stuff
                  www.sublimereptiles.com
                  Facebook
                  BOI

Comment

where do you get aps? i have trouble finding mediums that dont have mircal grow or anything else in there

Comment

Originally posted by nsime View Post
                      where do you get aps? i have trouble finding mediums that dont have mircal grow or anything else in there
                      Check any local plant nursery that might have koi pond supplies; if not that, Superhatch is the same stuff. I just prefer the larger-chunk stuff that my nursery carries.
                      JBsCresties.com & Facebook & Instagram, oh my

Comment

Originally posted by Spyral View Post
                        Are you sure the eggs are fertile? If these are all the first eggs of the season (which I assume because there are relatively few) then it could be they are just infertile duds and the next sets are more likely to make it.

I prefer SuperHatch - that's the hatching medium that changes color. Hatchrite is just pre-moistened vermiculite and I don't think it's any easier to tell when to add water. I also prefer a larger incubator for the same reason as JB cites. Bigger = more stable in temps and humidity. I use a 6qt Sterilite tub, the same size I use with hatchlings. I think it takes about 1.5 lbs of SuperHatch to fill it halfway, but a single 1lb bag should work also.
                        DOH! and i had the wrong name myself, lol. I switched to Superhatch, not the other. my bad!
                        Bailey Gecko's on FB

Comment

well i called every one in town, no one has aps
                          so I put them in a larger container, but pay attention to the last pic of the zoomed up egg, the outer layer is peeling, i know that can't be good, anyone know what's up with it?, i always try to solve one problem and another on arises :-/

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120321_210056-1889953703.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	1055810

Name:	IMG_20120321_210104-438559051.jpg
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	1055811

Name:	IMG_20120321_210040349006667.jpg
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	1055812

Comment

The SIM didn't work for me at all. I only got one live hatchling using it. I switched to using a rubbermaid container and very very rarely had any issue. I'd personally never use the SIM ever again, mine went in the trash.
                            Website www.rhactasticrhacs.com
                            Facebook www.facebook.com/rhactasticrhac

Comment

i have one like that but the egg was stuck to the side of the lay box and i didnt notice. pulled it out and a layer came off - is it possible it was stuck to something?
                              Bailey Gecko's on FB

Comment

Working...
                              X