How late is too late?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How late is too late?

Sorry for all these threads! I just keep thinking of these obscure questions.

How late is too late to start the breeding season? Like, let's say theoretically that I didn't put my pair together until like June or July. Would they still cool down in October/November or would they have to run a longer cycle? I guess I'm wondering how many clutches of eggs must be produced before the female will/ can be cooled for the season.

Cresteds can and will breed at any time of the year. Most people pair their geckos in the spring, so that by fall/winter time, they start cooling and the females stop laying eggs. You can certainly pair your geckos later, you'll have to give them a different rest period. There's no set rule on how many clutches a female will produce in a year. I have one female who gave me 3 last year, and one who gave me 6.
    Krystal

Gekkonidazed Geckos

Comment

Originally posted by that_girl View Post
      Cresteds can and will breed at any time of the year. Most people pair their geckos in the spring, so that by fall/winter time, they start cooling and the females stop laying eggs. You can certainly pair your geckos later, you'll have to give them a different rest period. There's no set rule on how many clutches a female will produce in a year. I have one female who gave me 3 last year, and one who gave me 6.
      Thank you!

Comment

I have had some I did pair late and only got 2 sets of eggs, but I keep them in a room with a natural day/night cycle. My crested geckos and Uromastyx (desert lizards) seem to know what time of year it is and go through a natural rest period. However, you need to prepare for artificially resting them if the females continue to produce eggs, this does happen sometimes.
        Specializing in Crested Geckos
        Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
        Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
        Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

Working...
        X