Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stuck shed on foot/toe pads. Helpful advice please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck shed on foot/toe pads. Helpful advice please.

I've had The Baron for less than a week and he has had the nonsticky feet the whole time. I figure it's because of the stuck shed, but he tends to sit every now and then with his toes curled under his foot. He pulls away when I touch his toes so I do believe he has feeling in them. He was a bit dehydrated and I have made sure he's had a water dish available in his qt enclosure and I have been misting. I've also done the same for the other 3 guys, but they are all sticky footed just slightly dehydrated as well.

I put The Baron in his first bath tonight, done just as jb's video instructed. But it wasn't much help. When I took him out after 20 minutes nothing really came off, even with q-tips. He was a bit more sticky at first, but I guess it was just from the initial rehydration. Less than a minute later he was slipping off my hand again. I have to keep one hand under the other to catch him.

So should I try another bath tomorrow? Can I treat him daily or more often? I thoroughly misted one side of his qt enclosure for the night and have cgd and a water dish available on the dry side.
    Also I have read about pedialyte baths. What type of pedialyte? Is there an unflavored/undyed type? I've never really dealt with pedialyte other than with sports medecine back in the day.

It's possible he's about to go into shed, but it's not ready to come off yet. I'd give him more time to settle in before giving him another sauna. Give him another week and then assess his "sticky situation". It's not life-threatening if he isn't very sticky, but you might want to adjust his cage furnishings to compensate for it.
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

agreed let him be for a few days it should clear up unless you see something constricting the feet/toes you are ok, non sticky can be because they are about to shed or from dust or food on their feet. But the most likely is he needs to shed.
      11.8.16.3 crested geckos

www.iherp.com/limegreenartist
      www.crestieicandy.weebly.com

Comment

Okay it's just that it's been about a week like that. I've never had any issues with my original two cresties. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
        Can it take up to a week or more for them to finally shed?

Comment

I snapped some photos of his feet. it was requested over on Repashy, so I figured I'd throw them over here too.
          Please excuse the crotch, but it was easier to get both back feet in the one shot (those gonads just got in the way.)

His back feet are worse than the front
          Click image for larger version

Name:	toes 016.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	1055444

Name:	toes 020.jpg
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	1055445

This foot is pretty bad too.

Name:	toes 021.jpg
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	1055446

This foot is the best looking one.

Name:	toes 024.jpg
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	1055447

Comment

Looks like stuck shed on the toepads. Try another soak and a wet q-tip on the underside of his feet.
            Specializing in Crested Geckos
            Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
            Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
            Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Comment

Yeah I just did that. It all came off. Last night he was too fidgetey and I didn't want to restrain him too much and stress him.
              He was calmer this go around and it all came off with the q-tips. He is now comfortabley resting on my shoulder inside my hoodie.

The Baron Washburne von Turkelton is happy.

Comment

Working...
              X